Pool - Saltwater system

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ateamer, Aug 31, 2018.

1. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

We had a saltwater chlorine generator system installed on our pool. The guy who installed it declined to connect the controller box (Intellichlor is the brand) until we replace the pump timer. The timer is an old-school mechanical one, and he says it’s making noise. Well, yeah, spinning gears and wheels tend to be audible. He said we need a digital timer, and also said that a mechanical timer sends “the wrong signal” compared to a digital, and the pump and Intellichlor won’t turn on at the same time.

This guy works for a pool contractor and did some stuff for us as a side job. (A neighbor recommended him - after hearing how much he screwed up everything he touched, they’ll never pass his name along again.)

Our pool maintenance guy says that makes no sense and that he takes care of a lot of pools that have a salt system with mechanical timers.

So I ask ya’ll - in your experience, what do we need to do?

2. wlkjr

wlkjr

My old timer has been making a noise for 20 years. Electricity does not care how it is switched on. I think he's an idiot but I'm no expert.

Ross-in-Pa likes this.

3. Wolfie38S

Wolfie38S

Pool guys, a notch below a used car salesman.

4. Adjuster

Adjuster

It is possible he is correct but I am not a pool guy.

Mechanical timers when activated send the full power 110v to the equipment through the timer itself.

Its possible the digital timer when activated only sends a low voltage signal to a relay on the equipment tripping a relay and turning on full power at the device itself. You could check this by observing if the equipment has a direct power source/wire running to it and a connection for a signal wire.

/

5. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

+1

Do you have access to the new equipment wiring diagrams. You should be able to track it down from there.

6. Powers77

Powers77

Don't know. I do know that the pool service guys wear on me quickly. Find a good one and they quickly gain a God complex. Have had a solar system since 2009. If I'd known I'd have to deal with this level of ass hattery I'd have gone without.

7. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

The guy who comes out once a week to maintain the pool is a good guy - low key, patient with all my questions, doesn’t think he knows it all.

The guy who did the install, on the other hand...the bro dozer and Salt Life t-shirt and decals were the first clue.

8. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

Our pool was built as a salt system, I went to chlorine tabs a few years ago because:
    The water always seemed cloudy and I was told by a few pool people that salt systems don't work well in 100+ degrees.
    When the salt cell went south after a few years, I temporarily switched and noticed the increase in the clarity of the water.
    After starting with chlorine tabs I noticed how much less scale was left on the tile at the water line and how much less I had to battle algae.

Just my 2 cents.

9. kiole

kiole

What the model and brand of your system

10. kiole

kiole

11. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

May be a difference in output signal voltage, digital is probably low voltage DC while mechanical may be main voltage AC.

12. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

Our salt system is on a mechanical timer.