poncirus trifoliata

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by punkture, Nov 5, 2005.

1. punkture

punkture

Does anyone know if deer/squirrel feed on the fall fruit of the poncirus trifoliata? I've actually never seen these before today and have been hunting these same woods forever. I never go into the woods without my digital camera, so I got some nice pictures of them. When I got back to the house, I researched them and from what I can tell they are poncirus trifoliata (flying dragon). I looked around and couldn't see where squirrels were feeding on them, but one of the bushes was by a hickory nut tree...where a few brave squirrels took one for the team today! I read that the fruit is bitter, so I'm not sure if deer would feed on them. I hope someone has some experience with this. If I'm in luck, there are a few spots with some NICE trees, I'd like to climb nearby come gun season.

2. punkture

punkture

from what i can find, assuming this is indeed poncirus trifoliata, it is commonly called both flying dragon and hardy-orange. apparently, people can eat them and deer can but generally do not mess around with them due to the thorns. any personal experience with these from anyone out there?

3. punkture

punkture

another image...

4. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I don't have a clue what these are of if they are edible, but I'm curious.

These don't grow wild, do they?

Was this at an old home site, possibly?

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Man i surely cannot help ya bud, but i had to say, MAN, i thought we topped the list of really wicked lookin stuff in W. Texas, but this is a 'nasty looking outfit here.'

Looks like a 'cross' between a cactus of some sort, and a persimmon (sp) tree! You should be able to see some tracks around the bush, or see where they have been nibbling on it, or droppings, would tell you a great deal, if there are some within a couple hundred yards of that plant... Just a thought!

Good luck!

CanyonMan

6. punkture

punkture

Keep in mind I saw these bushes in several locations over about a 5 mile walk. Everytime I saw one I thought I had found a nice persimmon tree...but they were still on the tree. I looked for tracks, but all of the bushes were in thickets beside the main trail. The only sign I could see is squirrel cuttings from the hickory nut tree near one of them.

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well, it would seem to me, that if you have covered "five miles," and 'none of these Bushes, or their fruit' were eaten, or showed signs of disturbance, and no other tell tale signs of deer browsing on them..... Then i would conclude, "their not!" ;)

Good hunting!

CanyonMan

8. punkture

punkture

That's what I was thinking. The spot had some pretty decent squirrel hunting, so I figure I'll go back in a few weeks to see if they have started falling. It's possible that *if* deer mess around with them at all, there won't be signs until they start falling. The weather has been so crazy here since the hurricanes, the persimmons haven't even started to hit the ground. If no one out there has any experience with these things, I'll update with what I find.

9. noway

noway

Another thing, would a squirrel bother eating this fruit if acrons or hickory nuts are plentifull in the same area? Most of the time ( in my experience ) squirrels concentrate on nuts vrs other food sources during this part of the year. So getting fat and food storage is the #1 action item for dem tree rats.

Deer, I have no clue as to what they would do with this fruit.Do you see any signs or birds pecking at these?

Canyonman, I agree at first it looks like perisimmon on a bush vrs a tree ;)

A strange fruit indeed.