Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I built a Polymer80 Glock 26 with all Glock OEM parts including Glock magazines. I have medium/large hands so my pinky finger, sometimes two fingers will go below the magazine and apparently are pushing up. This causes every type of failure because the magazine gets in the way of the internal operations. If you push up on the magazine you can see it rise about 1-2 millimeters on the standard 10 mag, and about 2 ml on the 10+2.

The easy answer is "Don't do this", but under duress this could be an issue.

Is this a Polymer80 thing or do all Glocks or all handguns have the same issue and it's just that I need to train my hands? Also, is there any modifications you recommend to prevent the magazine from rising.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
FWIW: Glock Subcompact pistols do NOT behave as your contraption is behaving.

The moderators consider Poly80 topics OT to the General Glocking Forum because such guns are not Glocks. The thread will soon be transferred to General Firearms.

Reactions: NAZG26

·
Registered
20,919 Posts
I would say your polymer 80 is either out of spec or something is allowing it to go that far up. That is not normal

Reactions: FullClip

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is what I thought. I'm going to take it to my local gun store and talk to the Glock/Poly80 guy. I used the thick part of a toothpick and stuck is on the top edge of the bottom of the magazine so that it fit tight in the frame without moving and it operated perfectly so I'd say the bottom of the Poly80 frame is 1-1.5 millimeters short. The gun operates perfectly when it's tight so the rest of the gun is on spec.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Is this a Polymer80 thing or do all Glocks or all handguns have the same issue and it's just that I need to train my hands? Also, is there any modifications you recommend to prevent the magazine from rising.
A friend of mine built a Poly 80 Glock 26, it has a Brownells slide with a Holosun red dot on it. I have had the chance to borrow it on a handful of occasions and I have shot several courses of fire with it and have run numerous drills with it. ZERO malfunctions with the gun, I have primarily used Magpul Glock 12 round mags, but have also used a couple of Glock 10 round mags with Pearce +0 extensions.

I have a Poly 80 Glock 26 kit that I have not started on yet... but plan to do a build later on. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person but my buddy states that he will guide me through it... (he's built 3 or 4 different ones already). My big decision, which slide to get and to get red dot or not? Its good to have choices :2gun:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend of mine built a Poly 80 Glock 26, it has a Brownells slide with a Holosun red dot on it. I have had the chance to borrow it on a handful of occasions and I have shot several courses of fire with it and have run numerous drills with it. ZERO malfunctions with the gun, I have primarily used Magpul Glock 12 round mags, but have also used a couple of Glock 10 round mags with Pearce +0 extensions.

I have a Poly 80 Glock 26 kit that I have not started on yet... but plan to do a build later on. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person but my buddy states that he will guide me through it... (he's built 3 or 4 different ones already). My big decision, which slide to get and to get red dot or not? Its good to have choices :2gun:
I'm a DIY person and building one is the most fun part of owning it. My G26 is awesome, as long as my big hand does not push on the magazine from the bottom :). I will add something to make the mags fit flush, just don't like the idea of having mags that may only fit in my P80. Completing the P80 is pretty easy, better tools the easier it is and just go slow. The process also made me very familiar with every part of the gun so I can now build anything I want, upgrade, clean, etc..

I found another forum that talked about standard Glock issues where hand pressure changes the angle of the mag so other do have the issue, but I think mine just has more play than normal.

·
Private side
11,508 Posts
If your hand is big enough that you can only keep the middle finger on the grip.... you can definitely use a bigger gun.

·
Come on man!!
15,879 Posts
I wear large gloves and have used my G26 to win competitions while using G17 mags and G26 mags, pressure on the magazine has never caused a malfunction and if you're "pushing up" on the magazine you're grip is most definitely wrong. Are you placing your non-dominant hand on the bottom of the magazine when firing, aka tea cupping?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My left hand does not touch the magazine at all, its only my pinky the fits under the magazine. The problems is 99% the front rails which are at a slight angle. I found that other have posted about the rail issue with Polymer80 and they are sending me out new front rails. My magazine moves exactly like an OEM Glock does, just that my slide is slightly pulled tight to the frame by the rails and its causing the malfunction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, I built a Polymer80 Glock 26 with all Glock OEM parts including Glock magazines. I have medium/large hands so my pinky finger, sometimes two fingers will go below the magazine and apparently are pushing up. This causes every type of failure because the magazine gets in the way of the internal operations. If you push up on the magazine you can see it rise about 1-2 millimeters on the standard 10 mag, and about 2 ml on the 10+2.

---------------------

I think the problem(s) are solved !!!! Appears I had two issues that were hiding things a bit.

(1) I am one of those lucky people who got a defective front locking block from Polymer80. On one side of the locking block, the rails were at an angle. I found many posts where people had this and they shaved off a little of the top and bottom of the rails. I chose to only shave off the bottom since it seemed like my slide was pulled too tight to the frame. It appeared to even out the slide on the rails and I could rack the slide with/wo the magazine in and the trigger would reset, however, if I held the trigger and racked then the trigger would not reset with/wo the magazine.

(2) This made me think my Firing Pin Spring was too weak for the trigger I had installed about six weeks ago. I had no springs to compare it to so I went to the store and purchased a set of Ghost firing pin springs (4lb & 6lb). When I compared the spring that came with my upper parts kit the difference was huge. I think the spring I was sold was probably more like 1lb, it was ridiculous and also was slightly bent. I installed the 4lb ghost firing pin spring and the trigger pull was 2x as hard, but still felt good and smooth and I could tell that it was firing much stronger even with just dry firing.

SUMMARY: the gun now feels like it operates property in dry fire mode, the magazine issue is gone, and the trigger reset is now 100% under all conditions. Now I just need to get to the range and test with live ammo and I feel very confident it's going to go well. If the gun cycles 200 rounds then my love for this G26 Polymer80 will be huge, and I will start on my 2nd Polymer80 after I choose what I want next.

Thank you all for your input, if my gun cycles great then I'll update the thread in case it helps others solve this problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

IT's OFFICIAL... PROBLEM SOLVED

(1) Fixed the angle of front rails by shaving the bottom a little
(2) Replaced firing pin spring which was very defective

Went to the range today and fired 300 rounds with 280 of those my own reloads, 10 FMJ (115) and 10 HP (124). Shot 300 rounds without a single issue !!!!!!

Thanks to all who tried to help. Next time I build a P80 I will be inspecting every single part, especially the firing pin spring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts