GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a front locking block issue with my p80 when I built it. I could not get the slide on at all because of the issue. I got the new front locking block in the mail yesterday and it fit in with no problems. Right as I mated the frame with the slide and tried to pull the slide back, it started binding up and would not want to go. After looking for a moment I could see that the barrel was contacting the bottom part of the slide as it was pulled back and rubbing the finish off the bottom side of the barrel. I am not sure if this is another issue with the locking block or barrel and slide. Any help could be appreciated.

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,350 Posts
The area on the gripframe where you 'hogged out' material for the RSA, may need more material removed.

·
Combat Diver
3,314 Posts
I had similar issues and as byf43 stated, it was due to just a bit of extra material left in place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. There is the slightest amount left to remove so that's its completely flush with the inside of the front locking block. I would not think it would cause the binding I am running into but I will remove it later and see it that helps at all. Thanks for the reply fellas!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The area on the gripframe where you 'hogged out' material for the RSA, may need more material removed.
According to most of youtube videos on builds, this is the most commonly known problem. If you haven't viewed them you should.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes not having the channel cut all the way can lead to binding issues with the slide. I like to use a drill bit the same size as the recoil spring wrapped with sand paper for final finishing of the channel. I still need to wet sand and polish it

RSA channel.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not binding at the spring or rails. The barrel and slide are making contact. Possibly because of how the back of the barrel is contacting the locking block? It is hard for me to tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Its not binding at the spring or rails. The barrel and slide are making contact. Possibly because of how the back of the barrel is contacting the locking block? It is hard for me to tell.
After looking at your photos, I would say that either your barrel or slide are slightly out of spec or you are dealing with tolerance stacking between ALL of the parts involved.

I suggest trying a different barrel and/ slide if you have either available to you. Aftermarket part manufacturers seem to like to make their stuff fit on the tight side versus OEM parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After looking at your photos, I would say that either your barrel or slide are slightly out of spec or you are dealing with tolerance stacking between ALL of the parts involved.

I suggest trying a different barrel and/ slide if you have either available to you. Aftermarket part manufacturers seem to like to make their stuff fit on the tight side versus OEM parts.
Ya it definitely makes contact after about 1/4in of pulling the slide back. Also I don't have any other parts to try on the frame sadly. I would just remove some metal from the slide where the barrel is hitting, but I'm not sure I want to go there just yet.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I personally would not remove any metal frame the slide if it was me. Yes you want the barrel to have a slip fit but you sure do not want it to be a loose.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had a similar issue using a Lone Wolf barrel. When I switched to OEM, problem went away.
Tolerance stacking can bite you. While aftermarket parts are made to specs AND within the stated tolerances, They can be either on the large or small side. which can and will cause problems.

For example: say the slide is machined to the minimum tolerance and the barrel is machined to the maximum tolerance, you can get binding between the two parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm. Well I will contact FnF and see what they want to do about it I guess. I just want to get this functional so I dont have to stress about a 450-500$ paperweight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmm. Well I will contact FnF and see what they want to do about it I guess. I just want to get this functional so I dont have to stress about a 450-500$ paperweight.
Mine was paper weight until the 500th round. Cleared about 475 jams and stove pipes before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts