Polymer slide cover plates other than black?

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by gh1138, Oct 10, 2018.

1. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

Anyone know of a source for either factory or aftermarket polymer/plastic slide cover plates in other colors? I have a Glock 21 with a 21 slide and a 20 slide. I want to differentiate the two slides more easily.

I thought about getting a different color cover plate, but they all seem to be aluminum, and I’ve seen posts where Glock armorers don’t like them because of plastic hitting the metal cover. So, just to be safe, I’d like to have a polymer/plastic cover plate but can’t seem to find any in colors other than black.

Does anyone know of any? Do the Glocks that come in different colors have matching cover plates? Or are they black?

2. mtstream

mtstream

Regarding the aluminum plates and the plastic spring loaded bearing. They do cause the bearing wear to accelerate compared to the plastic slide cover plate but it's not like super fast. I would never use one on a self defense gun but if one of your slides is mainly for range or occasional woods, it can be managed.

The bearings are cheap - you have the option to buy a handful and if you ever start noticing an occasional ejection problem at the range, go ahead and change the bearing. Unless you're putting a lot of rounds down the pipe, I would still expect it to take a long time.

As far as paint, try nail polish.

3. n2877

n2877

Lonewolf

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Superzuki likes this.

4. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

I thought Lone Wolf only had aluminum. After reading your reply, I checked the website again. Some of the plates say aluminum. Others don't mention the material. Are you certain they have plastic? Either way, I guess I'll give them a call. Hopefully the person I talk to will be more knowledgeable than the last time I called them!

Thanks.

5. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

According to Colleen at LW, everything on their site is aluminum, so if anyone else knows of polymer plates, please let me know. Otherwise, I guess I could just buy an OEM plate as a backup and paint the outside face with a solvent resistant paint.

6. watch guy

watch guy

look on ebay.

R.B. Riddick likes this.
  7. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

Thanks for the reply.

I had searched ebay previously. The only thing I found was a carbon fiber plate. It was also sold on some other sites and had poor reviews. And it was black as well.

I ordered some spare Glock factory plates and will try masking them and applying different types of paints. Might be tricky, though, finding something that will adhere to plastic but resist oil or solvents.

8. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

Nail polish. Great idea. Thanks!

9. watch guy

watch guy

Like the idea of nail polish. Wonder if they have Elite Coyote Tan polish?

10. akpls

akpls

Krylon works on plastic. I've done several rifle stocks and mags with it.

11. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Color the slide and caliber numbers on the sides - crayon, fn polish, or paint will work, use diff colors. Leave the rear covers black to not affect your sight (eyes get drawn to a color).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018