Polymer Safe Lubricants

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by feathers73, Feb 23, 2010.

1. feathers73

feathers73

I just wanted to pass on some info to all of you. You may know this already but if not, it's good info. I have always worried about the compatibility of lubricants on polymer. I did some research and came across metal shield. After contacting the company I received this nice email from the man that formulated weapon shield, George C. Fennell. His response is as follows:

"It is 100% compatible, as it contains NO solvents or volatiles, and yet
    cleans better than a solvent. This is because I chose light oils that have
    the same surface-spread characteristics of solvents but are NOT solvents.
    What most folks don't know is, if you use anything...ANYTHING that contains
    solvents or volatiles, it is slowly dissolving your polymers/plastics. This
    includes Breakfree and many others. When I designed/formulated FP-10 and Weapon Shield, I knew this going in, and purposely created them solvent free to accommodate all polymers and finishes.

I hope this answers your question.
    Best regards,
    George"

Just thought I would pass this along. To top it off, he sent me a free sample. I plan to try it out on my Glocks.

2. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

3. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

So does that mean remoil isn't safe?

4. JBP55

JBP55

I use Weapon Shield daily and lube the critical components with Mobil 1 20W50.

5. feathers73

feathers73

With regards to Remoil I would research the formulation. If it contains solvents and volatiles not compatible with polymer I wouldn't use it. Remember, most of these lubricants that have been around for awhile were designed for steel and aluminum guns. Weapon Shield was purposely designed to account for compatibility with polymer.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  6. WolfePack01

WolfePack01

Has any one used ballistol?

7. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

dear feathers, of course this Mr Fennel fellow is going to say how much better HIS product is. Who knows for sure whether petroleum based lubricants dissolve Glock polymer or not? This is a doubtful assertion without further testing, such as leaving 5 or 10 disassembled glocks sitting in a vat of each lubricant, including Mr Fennels, for a year or two. Then testing the Glocks against a brand new one.

I don't know if break-free is likely to cause glock polymer to disintegrate but i'm inclined to guess no. I google some things and break free is a synthetic, not petroleum based lubricant. And i'm guessing if mobil 1 motor oil, rem oil or any other petroleum lubricant attacked the polymer you'd see a warning about it from glock. There isn't one. In the Glock owners manual it says to "lubricate with oil the following spots:.. " and neither specifies nor warns against using any particular type.

Mr Fennel might believe this and say it simply because he's selling something you might buy. Without proof, its just alotta malarkey.

8. TheDud

TheDud

Hickok45 uses this stuff:

http://www.ballistol.com/dealer_Becomewtc.htm

I wonder if this stuff is 100% safe for poly guns? Hate it that I just now found this thread after I just cleaned/lubed my new G19 with Breakfree and have also been using it with my less than a year old XD 45.

One would think though that if Breakfree was slowly dissolving the polymer, then you would get black "rub off" when going over your frame with a cloth.

9. Orion's Belt

Orion's Belt Boost Addict

I think I'm going to give Weaponshield a try. And I found out that their headquarters is roughly 12 mins away from where I live.

10. Nest

Nest

More scare tactics to justify charging ridiculous prices for an oil or grease. I paid $6 for a quart of 0W40 and it will last me a few years. Also paid $4 for a pound of heavy bearing grease that I use on my AR and shotguns. Have yet to see any etching or any sign of damage on the polymers from the grease or oil.

11. WolfePack01

WolfePack01

Yep, I heard of Ballistol from Hickok45's video on cleaning his glock. He really seems to know his stuff. I thought I would see if any one else uses it too. I've had my glock a little over a week and trying to get ideas for the best maintenance.

12. GAFinch

GAFinch

Break-Free is safe to use on polymers.

13. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

You should call Glock warranty and ask them about what George said.....and let us know what they tell ya! :)

14. WolfePack01

WolfePack01

Sounds like you know something (or someone) I don't...

15. rich n

rich n

I ordered some Ballistol and have been using it on both my Glocks.According to the label it lubricates,cleans,& protects metal,PLASTIC,rubber,& wood.This is not a new product,has been around for longer than most of us.I'm not a chemist, but it seems like the main ingreident is mineral oil.I doubt it would hurt anything on a Glock frame.

16. TheDud

TheDud

If Break-Free, Rem Oil etc. do in fact cause damage to plastic, then there will be alot of angry people in the next few years as many people around here have been using/recommending those lubes for cleaning.

17. WolfePack01

WolfePack01

I think I'll give the Ballistol a try. I'm new to the wonderful world of glock so I'll take the advice from experience...

18. thornesguns

thornesguns

i have some extra polymer ak pistol grips laying around, i can soak each one in breakfree and remoil and see if anything happens.....remind me in 2 years.

19. WolfePack01

WolfePack01

I use Remoil on my rifle which has a synthetic stock. i haven't notied any adverse affects. I guess the synthetic stock and polymer grip are basically the same thing.

20. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Well, I might know something or someone you don't, but there are people there that know me, and I SURE don't want them to hear that I called asking (what might be) a dumb question! :supergrin: