Glock Talk banner

Polymer 80 Barrel Issue

17373 Views 57 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  JAA
Completed a Polymer 80 build ie Glock 19 Gen 3without issues. After successfully putting 30 rnds down range cleaned gun. Noticed that there were gouge marks on each side of the barrel near the breach area that contacts the locking block. Put another 60 rnds through with no discernible difference in the gouges. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Look forward to your thoughts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gouges/bite marks were at the bottom of the breach end of the barrel ~5/8” in on each side that comes into contact with the locking block. Since I can’t attach a photo, if you watch Tow II Brovo’s YouTube video identified as Polymer 80 After 500 rnds you will clearly see the markings.
Thank you for your interest.
Your input is appreciated

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a stainless no name slide from 80percent Glock. I don’t see any abnormal wear marks on the locking block ie rails or other areas.
What are your thoughts as to the cause of the gouges/bite marks your barrel? Are you concerned?
Sorry your experiencing the same problem.
I hope we can find a resolution. Other than that I an enamored with the Polymer 80. It will be my new USPSA gun going forward!

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As you, I am completely satisfied with my build and exceptional performance.
But still would like to know why, since it doesn’t show up on Glocks. Like yours, my barrel is an aftermarket ie Double Diamond.
Will be interested in what they tell you

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As I mentioned, mine is a Double Diamond barrel. No issues with assembly or function. The Locking Block is the standard one from Polymer 80. Polymer 80 told me this is "normal" wear/tear. Not buying it. Like you, I would like to know which barrels exhibit the problem and which do not ie is it a hardness issue of the material used to make the barrel? Thanks for your input.

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Will probably never know the answer. Hope our builds continue to perform flawlessly in spite of the gouges.
Can’t wait for The Glockstore’s SS80 43 to be released.

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Understand your point. If it works why fix it.
My issue is that in every other handgun I own, this doesn’t happen and I’d like to know why.
As to your question can the gouges/nicks be polished out. Yes they can to a degree. I’ve used Mothers Mag/Al polish with a dremel and cleaned it up fairly well however in my next range session the gouges came back to the same degree. I won’t be polishing it anymore. Going forward, if it ain’t broken I won’t be fixing it! I would just like to know why.
Thanks

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just get a Glock. As far as the slide finish imperfection, I could car less. The barrel hood side wear is concerning. Why put unnecessary stress in your life. Glock has this thing figured out. The wannabes and alsorans don’t.
Don’t disagree. Don’t like how the Glocks fit my hand. Prefer the Polymer 80 1911 type fit much better in my hand with the additional benefit of being able to tinker around with it while almost doubling the cost of a Glock 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for the suggestion- have to take a look/feel at the FN-509 next time I’m at my local gun store.
As for the non serialized Polymer 80 types The Glockstore was practically giving them away about a month ago. Have to check them out again.

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Brass
My P80 ran fine as previously stated and continues to run great. The gouging on the bottom of the barrel continues. I use a dermel with Mothers polish to keep on the barrel after each range visit but it continues to occur. Has anybody used a factory barrel with a Polymer 80 build? If so, do they have the same problem ie barrel gouging?

Attachments

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sorry for the poor sentence structure. It should read as follows: “I use a dermel with Mothers to polish the bottom of the barrel after each range visit but it continues to occur.”

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Interesting, I to polished the front and rear rails on my P80 build prior to firing 1st round. Looks like the only differences are the barrels and the actual build itself. Looks like my next step is to buy a “Glock” OEM barrel.
Thanks for your timely response.

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Working on one.
I have ordered a slide, bbl and slide parts from 80percentGlock.com.
I am also waiting on some frame parts as well from Midway (slide lock spring is OOS).
Will keep an eye on this when I get it all together.
I do NOT plan to polish the slide rails unless necessary for FUNCTION as I want a tight fit otherwise.
Also I have ordered Magpul mags...hope they work!
The Glockstore has the slide lock spring in stock for $3.49 plus shipping.
Good luck with your build. Will be interested in how it turns out specifically whether or not you get barrel gouging. Got my slide from 80percentglock also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.