Polymer .45 ACP Choice

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SlickCZ85, Sep 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

My HK USP 45 can beat up your XD45 :D

quantico, RandomGuy, SargeMO and 2 others like this.
  2. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. In the meantime I am asking about polymer framed (and I'll stretch to say metal, non-1911) 45s and aftermarket support as I know glock dominates, but who would be next in line. The "purpose" is really not important for this question. Long term ownership experiences are welcomed, personal experiences, etc. I am researching and gathering data from the community as to what else is out there that I haven't already looked at or considered. So far it appears like I should take a solid look at HK45/USP. The FNX seems to popular as well, due to its high capacity and tactical relevance, however I won't buy another FN. XDS45 is a also a well known platform so far. That one I have researched. Before the pandemic I was trying to find one of the good deals on one with the extra mags included, but ultimately lost out to the Virus.

Aftermarket, for me, is very important. I live in a very rural area. If a gun breaks down (which they do), I take it to the workbench, click on the light, open up youtube, and figure out how to fix it or replace springs or file a little on the trigger. I've been to a gunsmith twice and both times had poor experiences. A front sight, fit by gunsmith, fell out of the dovetail (over-filed for fit, no loctite). My other experience, I had a gunsmith swap sights on my CZ75D, it was returned with dings to the finish, and the roll pin was mashed like grandma's sunday potatoes. After that, I said no more wasted car trips, and no more wasted money. That's why I like glock...easy to work on, easy to find parts, and in stock configurations they just run.

This question to the GT community was asked to explore some other brands besides glock or cz and to a limited extent Sig because I have recency of experience with those platforms, and I am interested in expanding my collection of 45 firearms beyond metal ones. I also own and carry a Hellcat everyday, but haven't had to touch it yet other than cleaning because it just runs perfectly, and the trigger gets better with every range trip.

For those asking why or suggesting other things...this is the book answer. Thank you to those with good suggestions. Now back to the meat targets and polymer 45s....

3. UncleDave

UncleDave

The SIG P320/45 does exist; I have a Compact model that is a very, very close second only to my G21 Gen 4. It has exceeded expectations and is turning out to be a fantastic pistol. No, I haven't dropped it, LOL.
    IMG_3367.JPG P320C-45.JPG

sigp6 and SlickCZ85 like this.
  4. Deputydave

As a side note if it's of interest, with either the HK USP45 or HK45 you can shoot 45 Super right out of the box.

5. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper

I have a Glock 21 gen 3 and it is a great shooter. I would love to pick up a Glock 41.

6. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

No recoil spring change? Do you have a link to more data?

7. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I like this old beast from 1995, it feeds anything, and it's one of very few 45's that are rated for +p+ ammo. Great all around gun. USP45nsn.png

sigp6, quantico, xdmikey and 6 others like this.
  8. JGIORD

JGIORD

After the G30 I would go with HK

Bob S. and SlickCZ85 like this.
  9. Deputydave

10. Deputydave

11. Gokyo

Gokyo

Kahr P45 is pretty awesome. Very narrow easy to carry. Very comfortable to shoot.

Bob S. likes this.
  12. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

I also have the FN FNX45Tactical but I’m not sold on it yet, not to mention as a package it’s huge with the tac light, red dot.

SlickCZ85 likes this.
  13. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Walther, Sig. No M&P

sigp6 likes this.
  14. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

I like my HK USP45, Glock 21 and XDM45, but last night was able to shoot a friend's Grayguns customized Sig P320 45 full size. Absolutely fantastic shooting pistol. I was very impressed with it and would gladly trade any of my personal 45 ACP pistols for it in a heartbeat.

SlickCZ85 likes this.
  15. SargeMO

SargeMO

The PPQM2 is great in the hand a very accurate.

sigp6, Tuscany and SlickCZ85 like this.
  16. GRR

GRR

G41

17. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

I'd love to have one of each. That said, the odds of that happening are exceptionally slim. So if I were buying a .45 tomorrow, I'd probably go with the M&P of some sort. Which sort would depend on how I intended to use it. If I lived in a rural area and would be spending a lot of time on a farm or in the woods, full sized, same if it were to be a range gun. For CC, probably a 2.0 Compact. Alternatively, the one I actually did get for CC, the Smith and Wesson Performance Center Shield 45. https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-mp-45-shield-m20-4-barrel
    Shield 45 001.jpg

Now, this one probably does not have the best aftermarket support. Finding a holster was tricky. However, it uses standard sight cuts for the regular Shield 45, so finding some new sights was easy. (I don't like the fiber optic ones.)

SlickCZ85 likes this.
  18. Redeemed

Redeemed

Polymer .45 would be the m&p. Soft shooting and fits the hand nicely. For me a lot more enjoyable to shoot than the G21.

R13, Webologist and SlickCZ85 like this.
  19. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

45 or 9? I am wondering how the PPQ45 compares to the HK offerings

20. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon