Poll: Size of The Agency You Work For?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by COLOSHOOTR, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Less than 10

8 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. 10-49

13 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. 50-99

13 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. 100-499

14 vote(s)
    14.9%
  5. 500-999

11 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. 1000-1499

6 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. 1500 +

29 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. Gombey

Gombey

You know, after working a 19 hour shift on top of being deprived of sleep it struck me!

You are an operative attempting to gather intel on the strength of US law enforcement. I see through your data mining attempt! I’m too smart for you!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  2. boyscoutG36

boyscoutG36 σαρκασμός

I retired at the end of 2018, we had just over 700 officers. I was on the road for eight years, worked on the bomb squad as an ancillary duty. My last seven years I taught full time at our Academy. I was the lead arrest control instructor there then my last job was as rangemaster. Good times.

Ohsheepdog likes this.

3. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Back in the day about 20,000. Now I believe the number is about 31,000.

Ftttu likes this.
  4. dx_caliber

dx_caliber

I've worked at small (~225ish) and large agencies and much prefer large agencies. Equipment and training is far better. I have way more opportunities to cross-train and more specialty units than you can shake a stick at, all of which are full-time and you can 100% specialize in, if you so choose. Aviation (fixed and rotary), SWAT, CID (with CID being separated into different specialities like Homicide, Property, Auto Theft, Sex Crimes, Economics, Domestic Crimes, Missing Persons, Persons, Narcotics, Robbery, etc.), K9, Federal TFO positions, Motors/Traffic unit, Fugitive Unit, Extraditions, bike units, Marine patrol, Youth Services, Training (LEVO and range), etc. We have around a half dozen different street crimes units. Also, because the agency is so large, there's a lot of movement, so you can get desirable positions in 3-5 years.

I've done it all, Corrections, Law Enforcement, and Probation and Parole, spread across agencies of vastly different sizes, and find large LE agencies to be the best for me.

Ohsheepdog likes this.
  5. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

If I may tell a short story:

Last year, I ended up in northern New York, to give my testimony on my part in a double homicide investigation. The hosting agency was considered "rural" and "small". HAHAHAHAHAA! By rural, they meant there was trees and some fields between the houses. By small, they meant five times the size of my agency, but they also had an entire forensics team, on top of the sworn.

Everyone was in shock and awe that a lowly road Deputy would do all the interviewing and evidence processing, in a double homicide case. They couldn't believe I let an armed man sit in the front seat of my patrol car, while I worked the wreck that entangled our lives.

I found it humorous they thought ten minutes was a long time to wait, for backup. I couldn't believe their new Detective (one year in position) was just getting to where he was collecting evidence and was nervous about getting close to where he would be interviewing suspects (which he had not done, outside of field interviews).

Ohsheepdog and Ohio Cop like this.
  6. Ohsheepdog

Ohsheepdog

That's why I love training with other agencies, especially when it's in another part of the country. I always try to do a ride a long with a local agency to see the differences, similarities and solutions to common problems.

nikerret, Ohio Cop and pgg00 like this.
  7. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Yep! When I went to Hostage Negotiator, it was in Iowa. I was the only one not from a "big city". One of the guys had NEVER been outside a two-man patrol unit, he'd been on for years. They really struggled talking to the bad guy role players. I couldn't believe it. It also shocked me how easy it was for them to get resources. Just ask and it arrives. I've rebuilt fence with my baton and the box my spike strip came in-to make due.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Newcop761 and Ohsheepdog like this.
  8. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

So NYPD because the second largest is Chicago PD at 12,000 +/- or so and LAPD is at 9,700. :cop:

Ohio Cop and IAhunter like this.
  9. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I did a 20 hour shift once and had to be back in 4 hours. Some things you just can not pass off. :cop:

Gombey and nikerret like this.
  10. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

Patrol with a little bit of commercial vehicle enforcement thrown in.

11. pgg00

pgg00

Neg. His patrol cars had a green stripe

12. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    Nope, there are federal agencies as large or larger than the NYPD.

Ohsheepdog and pgg00 like this.
  13. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

Not sure of the exact number of sworn. I know we’re 150 including the civilian secretaries, records clerks, meter maids, property/evidence tech and dispatchers. So probably around 120 sworn.

I am a patrolman. I was a bicycle officer in the local university campus/downtown beat for several years as well.

I am also the handgun armorer and a firearm instructor.

We work 4 on/4 off with 12 hours shifts. Leave patrol and you give up the 4 days off, which is why I’ve chosen to stay on patrol all these years. Even working nights half the year its worth it to keep the four off days.

Im in the running for a Sgt promotion in the next year. If I don’t get that I may try to get on in investigations or go back to the bicycle for a while. Bike patrol was a good gig if you have a solid partner you can count on.

Ohsheepdog likes this.
  14. Top_Shot_31

Top_Shot_31

Current gig, 85 sworn in a town of 76,000 (not counting the 30,000 students at the Big 10 university in town.) We are currently 3 short. We should have around 110 or 115 cops realistically, but our city is happy to pay OT to fill shortages as needed, and we are happy to take it.

I have been here since April 2019 so I’m the low man on late nights. I am a DRE, but that’s about it for collaterals

My last agency (neighboring my current) is 35 sworn for 20,000 people. I got my DRE certification there; I was also an FTO and maintained our PBTs and handled agency-level training for OWI stuff and general legal updates. I’m happy having more time to just pound the ground at my current gig.

First place: 15 sworn, 9,000 population + 1600 student liberal arts college. I left 20ish months in, on days as the school liaison/crime prevention guy. It was miserable.

15. COLOSHOOTR

COLOSHOOTR

It is too late we already know a little bit of mostly everything.

That's the best I got on 4 hours sleep sorry.

Gombey likes this.
  16. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Feds :dancing:

17. Sniff

Sniff

About 12,000 in the NZ Police.
    9,000 sworn and 3,000 non-sworn.

One police department for the whole country.

18. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

Alfred
    Robin
    + me!

------------------------

Ok seriously, I'm not sure. It is either just over or just under 500 sworn.

Newcop761 likes this.
  19. Broke Hoss

Broke Hoss

216 authorized but running 197 right now with academy running every year.

36 years on the dept; did 13 in CID/Crimes Against Persons; 2 on TACT.

Come visit https://www.abilenetx.gov/police

20. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I've always told most agencies in the US are under 50 officers. We GT'ers seem to be more from larger agencies overall. Interesting careers have been the norm here tho. LOL