close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Poll: Security trumps liberty

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by A6Gator, Jan 13, 2010.

1. A6Gator

A6Gator

I guess this makes it official: The sheep are now the majority. Unbelieveable. Are we getting close to the bottom?

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/washington/story/82156.html

Poll: Most Americans would trim liberties to be safer

By Steven Thomma | McClatchy Newspapers
    WASHINGTON — After a recent attempted terrorist attack set off a debate about full-body X-rays at airports, a new McClatchy-Ipsos poll finds that Americans lean more toward giving up some of their liberty in exchange for more safety.

The survey found 51 percent of Americans agreeing that "it is necessary to give up some civil liberties in order to make the country safe from terrorism."
    At the same time, 36 percent agreed that "some of the government's proposals will go too far in restricting the public's civil liberties." The rest were undecided or said their opinions would depend on circumstances.

As has happened often since the 2001 terrorist attacks, the renewed debate over security is hinging on the balance between personal liberty and safety. The suspect's success in boarding a Detroit-bound plane allegedly carrying explosives is setting off calls for full body scans, which some find an invasion of privacy, and for new restrictions on passengers once they're in flight.

To stop terrorists, Americans look first to better governmental coordination and use of intelligence, the poll found, with 81 percent calling that effective and only 11 percent calling it ineffective.

Body scans or full body searches at airports ranked second, named by 74 percent as an effective way to stop terrorism. Nineteen percent called those measures ineffective.

Further restrictions on carry-on baggage ranked third, called effective by 57 percent, ineffective by 34 percent.

New in-flight restrictions such as banning the use of laptops and electronic equipment or restricting people to their seats ranked last, called effective by 50 percent and ineffective by 42 percent.

A solid majority of Americans still feel safe flying, but the number has dropped.

The survey found 75 percent saying they feel safe, down from 86 percent in 2007, and 24 percent saying they don't feel safe in the air, up from 13 percent in 2007.

Even with the Christmas Day bombing attempt and all the news coverage of it and its aftermath, terrorism remains very low on the national priority list. Just 4 percent called it the country's most important problem.

The economy and jobs remained the top issue on people's minds by far, named as the top problem by 48 percent of Americans polled.Other domestic issues were cited by 31 percent, topped by 9 percent who said that health care was the biggest problem. Fourteen percent cited some aspect of war or foreign policy, including the 4 percent who named terrorism. The poll found that 52 percent approved of the way President Barack Obama is doing his job, and 45 percent disapproved.

2. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."

3. freespirit34

freespirit34 BMFTSY

What he said ... well quoted, but with a lot of !!!!!!!!!!!!

4. TacticalBling

TacticalBling

I never trust polls; especially when I don't know what part of the population was polled in the first place.

5. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

So basically the war on terror is over................ and they won. I guess all the bimbo's on CNN can tell us how to live now from 7 to 10 pm.

6. deadday

deadday

Liberty begets security.

7. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Yes sir, they've got the people just where they want them, "The President's number one job is to keep us safe".:rofl:

While in fact, the President's number "1" job, is to protect the Constitution. Says so, right there in that damned old piece of paper, known as the Constitution.

They get away with it, because so many folks don't have a clue as to what the Constitution says.

Ask them.

And some feel, if they do know what it says, that it should be changed. Because they don't want to have to be responsible for something such as their own safety. Where's those darned old "They" and Them" when you need them anyway?

You may not be, but as a whole we've sure become a nation of cowards.

8. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

"The survey found 51 percent of Americans agreeing that "it is necessary to give up some civil liberties in order to make the country safe from terrorism.""

Doesn't surprise me a bit and to be honest I'm given hope by the percentage not being higher. This shouldn't however surprise anyone who was around GTPI since the September 11 attacks since there are many many posters who have pushed the same idea. A lot of them changed their tune when Barack Obama was elected but the fact remains they weren't too worried about the loss of some freedom during the Bush years.

9. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

234 years was a pretty good run for this country.

10. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

It happens to all nations, eventually.

The cool thing is, when the country finally does fail, we can just start a new one right here in its place.

11. okie

okie GT Mayor

This:thumbsup:

12. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Doesn't work that way. A country's failure is always followed by years of bad economy, unrest (or a full blown civil war), and all kinds of scum floating to the top. I have lived through the end of a country (USSR), and I do not want to experience it again.

13. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

That's a good warning to those who hope for and promote that sort of thing CitizenOfDreams.

14. A6Gator

A6Gator

I wonder how much of this could be laid at the feet of our fabulous education system and the (lack of) teaching the Constitution and American history. Alinsky said he needed to control the education, and judging by this poll, it's apparently working.

15. Buoyboy

Buoyboy

Unless it is in the form of the Patriot Act or maybe denying rights to terrorists.

16. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

It seems to me that judges don't consider the constitution a lot of times, but rather invoke popular culture notions of balance.

People will often say "Have a safe holiday [Memorial Day, July 4, etc.]." I usually tell them to have a holiday full of liberty. Those who know me just shake their head and take it in stride.

17. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Even as far back as high school I knew I would rather take my chances with a kid bringing a weapon or drugs to school than to have someone look through my back pack. I still feel the same way, from going about my daily business to getting on a plane. Risks are mine to take and my protection is my responsibility.

The first time I read the quote in my signature I thought no truer words have ever been said.

18. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

speaking generally and hypothetically, it may be possible those who resist the tyranny of the majority fail to advertise the fact.

19. Apocalypse_Now

Apocalypse_Now Molon Labe

Count me in, and it's way past time

20. Apocalypse_Now

Apocalypse_Now Molon Labe

You have no choice.. it is coming, fast