Poll: Favorite kind of handgun

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Muzzleloader

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blackpowder revolver (such as cap and ball)

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Derringer type, single or double barrel, cartridges

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Single action revolver (SA), cartridges

8 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Double action revolver (DA/SA)

36 vote(s)
    19.9%
  6. Double action only revolver (DAO)

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Semi-auto, SA , external hammer

35 vote(s)
    19.3%
  8. Semi-auto, SA, striker or internal hammer [NOT Glock]

8 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. Semi-auto, 1/2 DAO partial pre-cock such as Glock, or DAO

53 vote(s)
    29.3%
  10. Semi-auto, DA/SA, external hammer

36 vote(s)
    19.9%
  1. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

Love my 1911s.

<----------

2. Joe H

Joe H

Favorite handgun? whatever is in my hand.

G19 DB likes this.

3. B C

B C

Machine pistol

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  4. fastbolt

fastbolt

Well, revolvers ...

Don't require manipulating the slide to chamber a round.

Don't require a press-check or loaded chamber flag or other indicator. You can see the case rims ahead of the recoil shield (even in older recessed S&W's). Besides, it's very easy to swing open a cylinder to check. ;)

Don't object to bullet shape and hollowpoint configuration.

Don't object to low-powered rounds when it comes to feeding issues, since there's no recoil spring from which to rob "energy", needed to return the slide & barrel to battery. Nor a feedramp.

Don't have their barrels and slides pushed out-of-battery in barrel close contact situations.

Don't require the usual tap-rack-assess 2-handed manipulation if a dead round or primer come up under the hammer. Just pull the trigger again.

Don't require a separate magazine in order to hold and fire their designed full ammunition capacity.

There are some other practical advantages to revolvers, but these are the usual ones that have been discussed for many years.

Yes, there are some disadvantages to revolvers, but overall they're less sensitive to shooter grip, maintenance and ammo power issues than pistols.

;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Sechott, gatorboy, -JCN- and 2 others like this.
  5. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

I like DA/SA, DAO hammer fired, & Glock style striker fired semi autos along with DAO revolvers, but for an all time favorite:

DA/SA revolver for the win!

(And I'm Gen X, not a Boomer!)

6. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

My favorite, just because, is a "12".

As in 1+9+1+1.

7. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I love my granddaughter most of all. But she thinks I am Santa Claus :fred:

G19 DB likes this.
  8. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I have reloaded a ton of 38 Specials this year and nearly every range trip has included my Smith & Wesson 686 Plus four inch. Maybe I am just very nostalgic :fred:

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My 686 2.5" 6-shot is just like that, so much fun to shoot that I keep bringing it on so many range trips.

I've got the laser grips, so I take turns between turning off and or having on.

I've got speedloaders, and a double pouch, so I'm either practising that, or at least keeping 6 at the ready all the time.

I've got a nice IWB holster for it, so I practise my draw.

I've got different loads from soft to standard to +P to magnum.

And finally, sometimes I just work on double action shots for speed. Other times I work on single action precision from distance.

10. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Narrowing it down to two was very easy. Picking between those two was difficult, especially with my new found love for my Shadow 2. Because of my history with them, SAO hammer fired auto squeezed out DA/SA.

Not that I don’t like Glock, they’re great at their purpose. It’s kind of like my favorite car is the Corvette, even though I don’t want to be driving one in the snow.

BTW, I think the OP was right in separating the Glock style from SAO strikers.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  11. CajunBass

CajunBass

Conventional DA/SA revolver.

12. 45caldan

45caldan

I voted SA hammer fired because it IS my favorite (1911, CZ 75 SA) but that isn't what I carry...

13. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

I'm not a revolver guy, but I like revolver triggers. Go figure. I don't like SA hammer fired pistols, only because I don't want to be required to disengage a safety under stress. I'm fine with DA/SA, striker (like Glock) or DAO. I don't shoot competitively, and I'm not a fan of really light and/or really short triggers. My 3 Glocks all have stock triggers and I'm fine with them, but my favorite trigger is actually the DAO on my SCCY CPX-3. I know a lot of folks don't get that, but I like it, and I'm quite accurate with it.

14. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Silver Member

I interpreted "favorite" as what I shoot the most. With that in mind, I check DA/SA with exposed hammer.

15. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Silver Member

I used to be a Revolutionary War reenactor. Our "Brown Bess" muskets were "in the white" meaning no browning/blueing and we had to keep them gleaming. That cured me of ever wanting to shoot black powder again.

16. dbuck47

dbuck47

This was really difficult for me. I ended up voting SA revolver. From most of my posts on this forum, that might be a surprise. Wifey gave me a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt for Christmas about 1983. I have added some sambar stag grips. I reload for this caliber-8.0 grains of Unique and a 250 grain lead SWC. I really enjoy shooting this old sixgun; it is smooth and accurate with this load. I like the look of this gun with the ejector rod housing the same length (almost) as the barrerl (4 5/8). I don't try to do heavy loads or "magnumize" it; I have a .44 for that. It is just fun. The poll said just because, so this one is just because.

I could have easily picked SA auto with hammer. The 1911 is probably my all-time favorite handgun, with the Hi-Power even or close second. The old slab sided chunk of iron just feels great in my hand, and I love pressing those thumb-sized bullets into the magazine.

One of my favorite things to do with a handgun is to just plink with a .22, usually a revolver. There is nothing more relaxed and simple than a .22 and a pocket full of ammo(I miss those little 50 round boxes) walking through the woods plinking at targets of opportunity, or homemade targets tacked to the woodpile. This is how I learned to shoot a handgun-the implement was a High-Standard Double Nine. Mine was a "Revelation 76" made for Western Auto (my dad was a dealer). My pickup probably wouldn't haul the empties.

I don't do much shooting with a .22 as I once did; what I shoot most often now is a Glock 17. If I had voted based on what I shoot the most, that would be it. For a general purpose handgun, it is hard to beat. I was a late adopter, not because I didn't like it, but because I always wanted something else a little more. I am not quite a true "fanboy", but may be close at least in a practical sense. They were first with this concept, and while the later comers are close and some have features that some like better, I don't think Glock has been superseded. Is it Perfect? Is it the BEST? Well, for me it is very close. I won't argue if another platform is better for you. The reliability is legendary. As far as the 9mm, it is accurate and powerful enough for anything I need, short of dedicated hunting, and practice ammo is economical. I do think a .40 might be a little better. Oddly, I have never shot a .40 of any kind.

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Converting these general types to actual specific guns I have, it seems a pretty even spread of votes for:

Glock 17
    S&W 686
    Beretta 92

:)

slamdunc likes this.
  18. jmohme

jmohme

I did not vote because it is hard to choose from the options you provided. I like most of them.
    If you would have had an "other" option, I would have checked it.
    My favorite handgun is the most impractical gun in my collection other than for hunting and target.

TC223.jpg
    I enjoy shooting this one more than any handgun or rifle I own.

19. DienBienPhu

DienBienPhu Glock pistols designed by Gaston Glock , Austria

all GLOCK & HK pistols

old school M1911A1

20. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Sorry, I have one of those too. I think it technically falls under a rather large
    Derringer type, single or double barrel, cartridges

:)

jmohme likes this.