Poll: Effectiveness of OC in changing attitudes

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Sam Spade, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Legal OC advances the RKBA, no matter where it's done

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Legal OC advances the RKBA, but only where people are already supportive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Legal OC has no effect on either attitudes or laws

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Legal OC leads to restrictions, but only where people already have a negative view

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Legal OC leads to further restrictions on the RKBA, no matter where it's done

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

A series of Open Carry events has hit the news over the last year or so. Some of these include low-key dinners at public establishments, others have been more confrontational. Some of these have been in areas of generally like-minded folk, others have been in what might be called "non-permissive environments".

So, what are your opinions on the value of these things as far as advancing the RKBA?

2. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I don't know RKBA, what it is, what it does, or whatever, so I have no opinion one way or another. But I do know people, and they are not as dumb as some would believe. Certainly not as dumb as sheep.

"If I wanted your opinion, I'd beat it out of you" approach generally does not work well.

My .02 cents worth.

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Right to
    Keep and
    Bear
    Arms.

Sorry.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

5. evomx5

evomx5 GLOCK Goob

I think the second one is what we are looking for.

It's kind of like a spill that will spread out from the fringes of the supportive area.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  6. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It is great for opening up dialogue and, when done properly, for showing people who might not otherwise realize that regular people really do carry guns.

7. maddyfish

maddyfish left this *****

I think in general it leads to more places being posted 'no guns'.

8. bithabus

bithabus

I think the most important factor is the appearance and demeanor of the person OCing.

9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

I think there is a difference between those who simply OC and OC and militant OC activists. It's the activists that seem to have the sure fire gift of convincing business owners to post no gun signs.

10. Wizz

Wizz

#2 and #4...with a few instances of #1.

11. Oramac

Oramac

too many variables to pick one answer imo. i think it depends greatly on the particular individual OCing, and their ability to politely and constructively converse with those who may be on the fence or antis.

if i HAD to pick, i'd agre with whoever said 1, 2, and 4.

12. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

There are always cases where OC can hurt the cause, either by location or participant.
    Still, the vast majority of open carriers and OC events have left positive impressions on the people in the area. This has been my experience from OCing all over NC and parts of VA.

13. napp32

napp32

^This

^and this

^and, especially, this.

Unfortunately, it's the militant, belligerent activists that are noticed and remembered by the general public. IMO, those are the ones that hurt the image of all gun owners.

14. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Like I tell my students, if you decide to open carry only do it when you are willing to be an educator. Don't spout rhetoric. Responding with "Because I can" when asked why will probably ruin any chance of a person becoming interested or at least tolerant of open carry. Be informative and invite the curious to go shooting. We all know that once you get them to shoot that first paper plate or target you have won about 80% of the battle.

If you're not in the mood to be a good educator then maybe that's a good day to conceal carry.

As to the poll, it's not the act, it's the way it's done that has the bulk of the influence on our Right to keep and bear arms.

15. flagg

flagg

keep it hid and join the NRA.

16. magpie maniac

magpie maniac

Exactly what I was thinking. :cheers: There are times it can help and instances where it hurts.

While I don't begrudge another's right to legally OC, I'd rather fly under the radar.

17. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Scaring the crap out of sheep is generally not an effective way to win them over to your way of thinking. It just makes them more suspicious of you and your intentions.

18. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Right, wrong, indifferent, good, bad, whatever, at least even the militants have the balls to stand up for something they believe in.

I just wish the rest of the gun owners would pick a side and do the same.

19. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I am genuinely conflicted on this. I live in a large midwestern city where OC is extremely uncommon and I'm quite confident the normal reaction of a non-gun owner would be fear and a MWAG call. The public has been conditioned to equate guns with BGs and assume if you've got one in plain sight you are intent on causing harm. I participated in our city's first OC walk back in September. We had about 35 patriots walk around downtown on a sunny Saturday afternoon handing out literature about our gun rights. We got the gamut of reactions. But you know what? I felt incredibly liberated after that experience. While some of you may consider OCer's "militants", I prefer to think of them as the 'Point of the Spear' of the gun rights movement. The problem is, in our polarized society, there are groups that are all too willing to snatch away the rights of others when they conflict with their own deeply held convictions. There is no loyalty to our Constitution or founding fathers' intentions. Many believe like our president that the Constitution is "deeply flawed". If they think like this, they don't believe that the rights expressed in this sacred document are bedrock. It's a living idea subject to the relativism of the day. So, I am also a little leary of rubbing it in their faces because they could easily make RKBA much, much more difficult if not impossible.

Good thought provoking poll.

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've actually saw people open carrying here in Indy. Its been a while, but I used to see it a bit more regularly when I lived on the south side. I've open carried before... It was no big deal, but it was something I just wasn't comfortable with. I agree w/ the poster who said how you dress is going to go a long way towards any problems you have. One memorable open carrier I saw.. He had some sort of clip on Nylon holster(I suspect Uncle Mikes), instead of having his Glock 26/27 clipped on his belt, he had it clipped on the outside of his pocket of his cargo shorts. How the thing didn't flop out and hit the ground, is completely beyond me... beforeobamabans, I saw that about 3-4yrs ago at the Speedway on Emerson and Washington, a questionable area, and nobody paid him any attention at all.

I think 90% of people walk around in condition clueless, so the only people that really notice open carry, are those who actually see what is going on around them.

IGF