Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Depends on what you mean by clean. Since rifle brass gets lubed before decapping/sizing, and then tumbled again (to remove the lube), the pockets might get cleaned a little...but I don't do any specific pocket cleaning.

In fact, I'm considering removing the decapping pin from my rifle sizing dies (I have a universal decapper in my loading tool head) so I don't have to worry about the possibility of tumbling media getting stuck in the pockets. Anyone do that? If the primers are properly seated, they shouldn't interfere with trimming on a trimmer that trims based on brass OAL, should they?

Like most, rifle rounds yes, handgun rounds no.

I'm loading 200 rounds every two weeks. 100 9mm's. 100 .45ACP's. I'm still new to reloading, but I do clean all primer pockets. Sometimes, I get a lot of residue out, so I think it's worth.

The butler absolutely refuses to clean pistol primer pockets, says it's a waste of time since the man who can hold steady enough to to tell the difference isn't born yet and his mother is dead... my butler is an uppity bastard. :fist:

Jack

pistol-no

rifle-no

when i started loading rifle the guy showing me said you had to for best accuracy, i said prove it. so we went to the range and shoot groups with both and couldn't tell the difference with his .308 or my .223

maybe a benchrest shooter needs to clean primer pockets, but not for me.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.