Politics is a form of religion

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Vic Hays, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Vic Hays

Vic Hays

Religion is basically to whom you give authority.

Matthew 22:21 KJV
    [21] They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

2. Dave514

Dave514

Is this about "The Beast" again?

3. Vic Hays

Vic Hays

No, would you like some more info on the Beast? We can do another thread if you want.

4. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Which certainly excludes atheism as a religion.

5. Vic Hays

Vic Hays

Giving authority to yourself is a form of religion. It certainly has its counterpart in Christianity.

Isaiah 14:13 KJV
    [13] For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

The sides of the north is the place of authority and control.

6. Geko45

You guys are always accusing us of placing ourselves "above god" in some way, shape, or form. When are y'all gonna realize that it's impossible to do that when you don't even think there is one?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  7. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

Atheism should have no authority as it is nothing. Atheism is nothing more than disbelief in a belief. So without Religion, atheism would not even exist. It is entirely dependent on religion. In of itself it is nothing. As a result nothing (atheism) should be ignored

8. Geko45

Swing and a miss...

Yes, atheism is to religion as not collecting stamps is to hobbies, but unfortunately some of you stamp collectors feel really strongly about your collections. So, some of us have to remind you that we don't care about your stamps and were not going to start collecting them ourselves no matter how much you want everyone to do so.

So, you just go on being religious and I'll go on being not religious and you won't hear from me at all unless one or more of your teams starts suggesting that their religion should have a special place in society and law. That shouldn't take me than about 30 minutes on this forum as of late (just look at the thread where Powernoodle asked the moderators to ban all contradictory speech from here).

9. Dave514

Dave514

People should be afraid of any institution that tells you not to think, to submit, to work for no benefit beyond 'the group' and that their group makes you exclusive and special. Political or otherwise.

The Moonies(Unification Church)
    David Berg's (Children of God)
    Branch Davidians
    Jim Jone's(Jonestown)
    Heaven's Gate
    Hare Krishna
    Buddahfield
    Scientology
    etc...

Cults come in all shapes and sizes but the one thing they have in common is to tell you not to think for yourself, not to question and to associate with anyone who point out contradictions in your thinking. To resist them and their questions.

People trapped in cults believe they are free and will maintain that their leadership is true and pure but for most of them there is a time when they are away from the noise that they have to stop and think about the things that don't sit well with them. Why doesn't the leadership want you to think? Could the leadership ask you do to something you wouldn't ordinarily do, and you'd do it? Would the person next to you in the same group do it?

They think everyone is somewhat brainwashed into the lifestyle of their own choice and that they are happier inside the group than out. Most all of their associations are tied to the group. But the reality is, you don't have to be brainwashed. You can ask questions. You can look at contradictions for what they are. You don't have to hate questioning.

10. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

Switching words in the thread title is also true. "Religion is a form of politics."

11. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

Actually I hit it out of the park. There is no atheism without religion. Your not collecting stamps is not even close to being a correct analogy. Besides you say, "some of you stamp collectors" ... I don't collect stamps.

Also I am not interested in your believing in my religion. Again you are way off base. Talk about a swing and a miss. I am not like you and am not trying to gather converts to my beliefs. You just don't get it. I don't care what you believe. I do care that you quote your beliefs as fact when all they are is your opinion. You regard your opinion very high and that is commendable, but that does not make it fact any more than mine does.

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

Interesting thread title. A bit of a leap from the title to the post content, though. You seemingly intended it to be a "click bait" sort of segue to the verse you wished to quote.

Hey, it's your thread and post. ;)

Perhaps it might also be said that looking back over the history of people, religion has also often been a form of politics.

Sometimes the two have become one, and at other times still separate, but deeply intertwined, and at other times distinct separate but carefully supporting each other in a symbiotic relationship.

People, as a species, generally seem to have an inherent need to have created both to serve in their lives.

13. Dave514

Dave514

Anyone ever been in a bad relationship? Everyone can see it. You're friends. You're family. But there's no talking to you. You even defend the nuttiness. You'll go to any lengths to justify your decision. '"You just don't get it. It's love. You are just mad because you don't have what I have." People in a bad relationship will even go so far as to defend the person who's abusing them, if that's part of the situation. But then when you're out of the relationship. Past the pain of the break up. On to when you realize you're just fine without that other person. You look back and you go 'WTF was I thinking?'

Geko45 likes this.
  14. ThunderTrumped

ThunderTrumped

15. Geko45

My apologies, you clearly could not follow the abstract logic I was using.

Again, trying so hard to find something to get riled about? I'm not trying to win converts either. I really don't care what people believe and firmly support the individual right to believe whatever they want. I only care when some of you (not you in particular) try to codify your beliefs into law. That's the only time I care. Don't try to require me or anyone else to follow your beliefs by force of law and I've got no problem with you.

So, since you claim to not support converting me or otherwise forcing me by law, why do you keep responding? Why not just let the conversation go on between atheists and those theists that do believe in converting and/or implementing their faith in law? Why are you always trying to pick fight if you actually care so little?

16. PVolk

PVolk

Thanks for sharing what atheism is to you. To me, atheism is to religion what antibiotics are to bacterial infections. One may be because of the other, but ideally it would be better to never experience bacterial infections at all, thus never need antibiotics. But this is the World we live in...

Geko45 likes this.
  17. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

The only things I comment on are what I believe to be blasphemous and or downright misconceptions that some believe to be facts. Otherwise I leave it slide.

18. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

Your analogy is good but only close. You qualify it with the words, "but ideally it would be better to never experience bacterial infections at all". That can not be said for religion.

19. Geko45

Alright, let's explore that. Below is my first post in this thread and your reply to it (I didn't address you initially, you addressed me). Please point out the blasphemy or misconception to which you were responding? That atheism is not a religion? Are we supposed to accept your word (not an atheist) as to what atheism actually is or is not over my own (an actual atheist)? I still can't even tell from your jumbled mass of words if you are trying to say that atheism is a religion or that it is not.

One thing is certain, for someone who claims to only be here to defend their beliefs, you certainly feel very strongly about atheism. I wasn't even commenting on your beliefs. I wasn't even talking to you. I was talking to someone else about my own beliefs and you just jumped in with your "atheism is nothing [and it] should be ignored" rhetoric. Which makes your claim above seem less than sincere. So, why are you really here?

The facts are that you started this exchange by replying to me first and that you weren't defending any aspect of your beliefs from blasphemy or misconception. Instead, you were launching a deliberate attack on atheism when all I had done is make a comment to someone else concerning my own beliefs that had nothing to do with you.

20. PVolk

PVolk

The entire point of the analogy is that it can be said for religion by an atheist. To many, religion is the infection that we're better off not experiencing in the first place.

I don't expect you to understand this, because you've only played for the one team your whole life. I've played for both and am capable of seeing points of view that you aren't.