Politically Incorrect Standup: Dave Chappelle and Bill Burr

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IvanVic, Sep 10, 2019.

1. IvanVic

IvanVic

Dave Chappelle and Bill Burr released new standup specials on Netflix recently that are incredibly funny and have become the latest targets of the left.

Burr destroys feminism in the opening segment of his special called “Paper Tiger.”

Chappelle’s special “Sticks and Stones” was hated by the left so much that the critics on Rotten Tomatoes had given it a 0% approval rating (now 27%), while the viewers on Rotten Tomatoes gave it 99%. I don’t agree with Chappelle’s politics (he comes off as a moderate Democrat) but his new special manages to avoid Trump altogether.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/51412/shapiro-commanding-heights-hollywood-now-hate-dave-daily-wire

FYI if you’re offended by swearing I wouldn’t recommend either.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

The Left has been much more restrained in their criticism of Chapelle than they normally are. I think they know that they cannot handle him as roughly as your average white guy without backlash.

3. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

There's nothing moderate about chappelle. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

4. IvanVic

IvanVic

Not sure how you're coming up with that. Every progressive website is calling his new special "homophobic" and "transphobic." Not to mention trashing it on Rotten Tomatoes. But to your point, it will be interesting to see how they handle Burr - his special just came out last night.

I can only go on what he uses in his comedy, and I didn't watch all of his previous special because it was too political for my taste. I'm not familiar with his tweeting or other political commentary. He seems moderate by today's democrat standards, anyway. That is to say - he's not a communist.

5. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Politics aside, Dave Chapelle is an incredibly talented individual.

6. IvanVic

IvanVic

His mannerisms are hilarious - he has a gift in that regard. His bit about his childhood white friend having Stove Top Stuffing was amazing.

Seinfeld is somewhat unique in that he can be incredibly funny while being entirely clean. That is an act of brilliance and talent in and of itself, because swearing and filth can be a crutch of sorts.

7. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

That skit he did about Jussie Smollett is one of THE funniest things I've ever seen. I was laughing so hard my cheeks hurt for an hour, lol.

I posted it here in one of the Smollett threads, but I think it got removed.

I don't mind their politics....both Burr and Chapelle have been....decent....when it comes to the current political climate. Burr himself straight up blames Hillary for her own demise.

8. B C

B C

Subway? Sandwiches?

Didn't see Burr's special, but saw the Juicy Smolet part of Dave's and it was hilarious. Classic Chappelle.

1ylrteelcdl31.png

cbetts1, Rotn1, IvanVic and 2 others like this.
  9. HarlDane

HarlDane

Comedians, even those who self identify as liberals, have been especially vocal about our modern PC culture. They aren't afraid to call the left out on (some of) their BS and hypocrisy. I'm a big fan of Joe Rogan and his podcasts and it's a regular topic there.

cbetts1, IvanVic, Slackinoff and 3 others like this.
  10. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

Yeah, but they're still pro abortion, pro homo, pro open borders, pro vending machine dope....

Yeah, they're real assets to civilization, they are.

The Machinist, happyguy and Chui like this.
  11. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

"Frank....c'mere...."

"......find out where Kanye West was last night...."

:animlol::animlol::animlol:

12. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

It's how I feeeer inside!

RPK Clone, Chui and Upgrayedd like this.
  13. Berto

Berto woo woo

You're going to live an awfully isolated life if you cant accept humor or entertainment from people who dont identify perfectly with your politics.
    Chapelle marches to his own drummer for sure, and Burr is outstanding.

nursetim, czsmithGT, badge315 and 7 others like this.
  14. B C

B C

That part was hilarious. The entire set was brilliant, especially they way he started it off. You could tell not everyone got it, until they realized it was Jussie and not a real french actor.

pgg00, Jade Falcon and michael_b like this.
  15. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Does that sound like how white people talk? . . . It sounds like something that I would say!

Uh, duh. Hey! Durr! If you do anything wrong in your life—duh!—and I find out about it, I’m gonna try to take everything away from you!”

686Owner, NJ1911, IvanVic and 2 others like this.
  16. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

Two of the best comics working. Dave’s special is better, but Burr’s is still good.

[​IMG]

upload_2019-9-10_21-40-50.jpeg

Rotn1, Mr Meeseeks, B C and 2 others like this.
  17. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

I loved Dave's special. He joked about abortion, but if you paid attention, didn't take a stand on it.

Then he said something like "and you know what poor white folks like more than anything" and I was thinking damn, now I'm gonna have to turn this off, then he said "heroin" :animlol:

My favorite bit was the expensive suit and the Duck grease.

Yep, he's one of the decent ******s.

fnfalman, IvanVic, B C and 1 other person like this.
  18. SRS

SRS

I enjoyed both but thought Chappelle’s show was better. I appreciated that neither were overtly political. I’ve lost interest in more than one comedian when the comedy transforms to bare political rants, like a lot of Amy Schumer’s more recent work.

IvanVic likes this.
  19. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Did you see the woman in the front row? She was so triggered. As was the guy behind and to the right of her. :animlol:

I wish I could link the video here, but I don't want to risk pissing off the mods, especially if they already removed it once when I posted it a week ago.

And I agree with what @Berto said: one is going to be very isolated if they ignore everything that doesn't fall lock-step in with their views. I don't agree with Conan O'Brien politically, for instance (and certainly not when it comes to his stance on gun control), but I find him hilariously funny, in part because I can laugh at myself as a Trump voter, and he doesn't make his political jokes into rants full of resentment towards the Right.

Of course, it also helps that he isn't a bitter ***** like his idol Letterman was (although he had his moments after Leno screwed him out of the Tonight Show in 2009, but I can give him a pass for that), nor is he an elitist d-bag like Maher, Kimmel, and Colbert.

B C likes this.
  20. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Just watched Paper Tiger. Friggin' hilarious!

IvanVic and michael_b like this.