close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Polishing the feed ramp and chamber

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by deer, Dec 24, 2010.

1. deer

deer

I would like to polish the feed ramp and chamber on my G19 foctory barrel. Do you polish thorough the blueing to bare metal and then put on a mirror finish on the bare metal. Thanks

2. 1006

yes that is what you would do--However, you do not need to polish it, and once you do, people may be shy about buying it. It won't make a good gun any better.

3. JK-linux

JK-linux

I'd avoid doing it as well. I've never owned a Glock that needed it. And as posted above, I wouldn't buy a used one that had it done. Are you experiencing failure to feed issues with yours?

4. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

5. roach4047

roach4047

I own a Kahr MK40 and just recently purchased a 50 count box of Double Tap .40 S&W JHP. They arrived UPS just a couple of days ago. I loaded a couple of different magazines and the pistol had problems chambering the rounds. To make matters worse yet even once the pistol did chamber a round the pistol would then lock up with a live round chambered and I wasn't able to very easily rack the slide to remove the round without a great amount of time effort and numerous attempts to rack the slide. It's the first time I've ever experienced a problem like this with any pistol that I've owned. I don't have another pistol to try the ammunition out in to see if the problems repeat or not but I'm afraid to try shooting the ammunition in the Kahr if it can't even be cycled through the pistol by means of cycling the slide.

Both the ramp and barrel of the Kahr appear to be pretty well polished so I don't know if it's even worth addressing. I've tried out 2 other types of ammunition and they have worked flawlessly but this Double tap stuff is like day and night difference.

I ordered 3 boxes of .45 ACP as well and one of the rounds case was split. Not a good first impression of Double Taps product.

Roach

6. Sputz

Sputz

I've polished my ramps didn't throat the barrel though. The key is if you are going to do it don't remove material just bring to a mirror finish and take your time. I have had zero problems feeding any ammo in my g27 and g23.

Sputz

7. JBnTX

JBnTX

Don't touch that feed ramp!

I don't mean to be rude, but you've got to hear it from someone.

Wanting to polish the feed ramp of a properly functioning pistol is a
    sure sign of an amateur who doesn't have a clue about firearms.

Polishing the feed ramp on a properly functioning pistol risks doing more
    harm than good.

If your pistol is malfunctioning, chances are it's NOT the feed ramp.
    The feed ramp is not as critical as you might think.

I owned many, many pistols since the early 70's and have never had
    to have a feed ramp polished.

Wyoming likes this.
  8. Just1More

Just1More

Why would you polish the feed-ramp? If it's just to tinker, find something else to tinker with.

9. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper

I have heard some Kahrs have problems feeding hollow point ammunition. It sounds like you should stay away from Double Tap with your Kahr.

10. Jeff82

'Cause that's what all the porffesionels do! :rofl:

11. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

It doesn't need any polishing as it is. That's something you only need to do to guns that were very poorly machined in the first place, and Glock barrels are top notch as they are. Sometimes putting a mirror finish on something can actually increase friction compared to a satin looking finish. I'd suggest keeping the anti-corrosion coating intact vs polishing it off. If your shiny fed ramp gets rusted later, then how smooth will it be?

12. Sputz

Sputz

I have never seen a polished ramp rust, maybe one sitting for years with no use or oil. Also how can a slick mirror finish cause friction? That just doesn't make sense to me.

This is info on friction test on a rifle http://varmintal.com/afric.htm if I am reading it right it looks to me like a polished ramp would have less friction.

Sputz

13. 1006

I will take a stab at this -- a flat mirror polished finish can have more friction than a surface coated with anti-friction compounds. The finger nail test that people tend to use is not the same as bullets sliding across a low friction surface. The bullets are smooth and flat, and are large enough that they don't drop into the small imperfections that you feel with your finger nail. They skate across the low friction bumps that you feel with your finger.

As long as one of two surfaces rubbing against each other is smooth and flat and the gun is working properly, there is not much need to smooth the other surface. Surface area alone can increase friction.

Hope this helps-- please don't ambush me if you disagree--

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  14. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

There is nothing to do with the ramp once the round is in the chamber.
    This sounds like an undersize chamber or oversize ammunition.
    Does the gun work with name brand ammo?

15. BSteadman

BSteadman WidowMaker

Go ahead polish away...looking forward to your next thread..."G19 Failure to Feed" what should I do now. :rofl:

GregP220 likes this.
  16. Jeff82

:rofl::rofl::supergrin:

17. Brian Lee

It depends on how rough it was, and how smooth you make it. If you are talking VERY rough, then smoother is better, of course. If it was already pretty smooth, going to a mirror can add friction by increasing the amount of surface area that actually rubs. No surface is really all that smooth on a microscopic level, and objects rubbing against each other bounce along on the microscopic high high spots between the microscopic scratches, so the actual surface area in contact is actually a lot less than it looks like it would be to the naked eye.

This is something you'd have to read up on in an engineering text book with photo illustrations taken through a microscope if you really wanted to understand it, but it's well known and proven. And to find examples where someone polished a feed ramp and reduced friction isn't surprising because some guns are poorly made and have a feed ramp that was WAY too rough to begin with, so polishing improves it.

I mentioned the principle only because all the Glock feed ramps I've seen are already smooth enough that they simply don't improve their function by polishing them. On the other hand, some of the WW2 era guns I've seen were so rough you HAD to polish the feed ramp to make them work well at all. The Glock "25 cent trigger job" is an example of polishing that WORKS because the surfaces you polish are the VERY ROUGH edges of die stamped sheet metal parts that IMO, should have been finished better at the factory.

As for the rust issue, I'm sure you'll have no problem with rust if you keep it oiled as well as we all used to do before the modern anti-corrosion coating were invented, but I mentioned it simply because Glocks are so well protected against rust that many people never bother to clean or oil them. Since it's a very thin surface coating that provides this protection, you simply can't polish the ramp without removing the coating, or most of it at least.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the friction thing, because in hindsight, it's really a little too much of an esoteric engineering subject to be helpful within the purpose of this thread. My real point is that polishing feed ramps is something that only got started because during the final desperate years of WW2 Germany made some guns that were so rough that they usually didn't work well, and after the war, people found that polishing feed ramps helped, which is no surprise. But a gun barrel that's as well made as Glocks are, just isn't in need of this, and isn't likely to show improvements if you do it.

That's why my own choice would be to not polish, and keep the anti-corrosion coating intact. The thing I like best about my Glock is that I can leave it dirty and clean it a month later if I want to, knowing it won't rust in the meantime.

18. Brian Lee

I should have read YOUR post before I replied to Sputz, because you summed it up exceptionally well for a post that was so short & sweet. Nice job.

19. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

A true POLISH like with Flitz will not cause problems in fact it will make cleaning easier and will have less resistance. IF you remove metal you may cause a problem.

Polish and polish are spelled the same for a reason.

20. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I've been Glocking since 1996 and have never seen a Glock feed ramp that needed polishing. A few years ago there was a used G21 with a polished feed ramp in the showcase at the gun shop. It had a mirror finish, but no one would buy it because they were afraid of what else the previous owner may have tinkered on. It was on consignment and the owner picked it up after about 100 days.