close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Polishing Glock Parts - too much?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tracecom, Feb 22, 2003.

1. tracecom

tracecom

I have polished the trigger bar on my Glock 35 at the contact points, but now I am wondering if I overdid it. I can see traces of copper or brass colored metal showing. Same story on the contact surface of the striker safety button.

So do I need to order replacements for these items?

P.S. The polishing didn't seem to improve the trigger pull.

2. Glockster_James

Glockster_James Man W/ A Badge

Sounds like you possibly over did it then. What are you using and how are you doing the polishing? Its possible that thats part of the problem. I know I just use Flitz and get a nice mirror polish on the contact points and lightly polish up the areas to have a nice look to it. ;I

3. rw229

rw229

I've polished the trigger components on all of my Glocks. Only on one did I have a problem polishing through the chrome. Perhaps Glock had a bad batch of chrome on some of the guns?

My solution, keep polishing through the copper until the base metal looks like chrome. Probably not the best, but it works.

4. tracecom

tracecom

Thanks to both of you. I think I'll get a new trigger bar ($14) at the gun show today. That way, if I can't fix the old one, I'll have a replacement.

5. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

In order to get a realy smooth trigger you must polish thru the nickle and the copper plating and get down to and polish bare metal.

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

"In order to get a realy smooth trigger you must polish thru the nickle and the copper plating and get down to and polish bare metal."

Consider the source.

7. IPSC G34

IPSC G34 Sparky

Sounds like you didn't go far enough. You have to keep polishing it until you get down to bare metal, I haven't had a problem in over 10,000 rounds.

8. Glockster_James

Okay, I suppose I'll bite and hopefully not look like a fool or wish I didn't ask, hehe. Isn't polishing supposed to be for smoothing the surface that is already exposed and not going through finishes and metal? So if thats true...why go through the finish and the other discoloration to polish it? Why not just sand or grind it down to begin with and then start the polishing from there? :) Thanks for any answers. ;I

9. tracecom

tracecom

Now, I AM confused.

10. Glockster_James

I still am pretty sure that somehow you over did it on the parts you polished. But now I'm interested in hearing what they have to say about taking it down farther. That just doesn't sound right to me. But I'm hear to learn and am open to all suggestions so hopefully hear back soon. ;I

11. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

You didn't go too far. Until you remove/change the shape or roll the edges, i.e. the firing pin/trigger bar surface contact, you're pretty safe. On older trigger bars the surface appears to have been plated to a heavier thickness and it took real effort to get through the plating. My 17 and 17L, both newer guns, show the signs of the under plating after polishing. They've been used for well over a year at GSSF matches and practice with a total round count of near 9,000 rounds, with no problems. My new 21 went through very easily.

12. Glockster_James

Hmmm...I did not know that. Thanks for the information. ;I

13. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

I polished thru the plating. I wish you could try my trigger it's 2.8 lbs and very smooth. I did some other things to the trigger but I did go thru the plating down to and posished bare metal. If you look at the plating thru magnification you will find it porous and rough it is not possible to get a smooth finish.
    As suggested DON'T change the angles and don't worry about polishing too much.

14. Glockster_James

Hmmm...never really thought about it but sounds good. :) Thanks for the info. ;I