Glock Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I polished the small powder bar with 400 sandpaper then used the dremel polishing compound. I did the same on the inside of the cast metal bottom of the powder hopper. All parts are nice and smooth to the touch.

The hopper was at least 1/2 full of Blue Dot. My goal is +/- .1 grains with 10.5 grains as my target. I made certain that I paused for a second after every powder drop. I ended up weighing most of the charges. They ranged from 10.3 - 10.7 with many spot on at 10.5 (this range is acceptable but I'd like to get it tighter).

I use check weights before every session to check the Dillion Electronic scale. Note: if I'm using Power Pistol it never varies more than +/- .1.

I realize these two powders are extremely different in shape but others state they get +/1 .1 with BD.

Any other suggestions?

· Ninja
2,787 Posts
Blue dot sucks for metering no matter what you do.

I like Vhit 3N38 and Longshot around that burn rate.

N110 and H110 are also good, but might be a bit slow for you.

· 10mm Advocate
6,912 Posts
Blue Dot and other wafer powders aren't good for metering precisely. LS is a little faster than BD. If you want something that meters very well with a similar burn rate as BD, look toward #9. The only drawback is lack of efficiency, ie it takes a lot of #9 to equal the velocity of other powders, due to the low density of #9.

· Registered
40,421 Posts
When you check your charges, are there long pauses between? Powder will settle in the hopper if you leave it for even 5min. The vibration of the machine keeps the powder metering at a certain level. Change that, like walk away for 5min., then you need to get the machine back to it's rhythm. I always throw 3-5 charge before starting to reload again if I stop for any length of time. BD doesn't meter well, for me, 0.2gr is about the norm. So I have pretty much moved to LOngshot or AA#7 for sim vel/pressure loads. I have never liked the muzzle blast of BD anyway.

· Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fredj338: I agree with what you stated but I did not leave the machine. All pulls were purposely consistent. I paused a full second after each charge and the only idle time was while I weighed charges. I thought polishing the parts would make a significant difference. I'm going to load the next batch using the large powder bar (without the UniqueTek Micrometer) for comparison.

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Having had the same issue I found I get more consistent
throws with a dipper versus my powder measure with most big flaky powders.

Have a bunch made by simply filing down a case and attaching a bamboo skewer with Super-Glue. Easy to use and surprisingly repeatable.

All the Best,
D. White

· Registered
2,976 Posts
I've used LS & PP mostly and both meter superbly but I got several pounds of BD as a gift so i will use it up. I was hoping there was an adjustment needed. Others have posted they get +/- .1gr with BD!
Is Power Pistol is spherical ball powder like W296, or just small flakes like W231? I guess I always assumed PP was a flake powder like Unique and BD.

I like AA7, but it sure does take a lot more of it to get up to the velocity you want. I was using it in 9x23 Winchester and a pound sure went fast. BD sucked in 9x23, while VV 3n37 and AA7 were excellent.

· Registered
2,976 Posts
Thanks. Good to know. I have been meaning to try some PP, but never see it here locally. The data I see for PP looks pretty good, but now does not seem to be a good time to order much of anything from Powder Valley.

AA7 meters like water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.