Polish the inside of mags

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by nutsnax, Jul 11, 2020.

1. nutsnax

nutsnax

Has anyone polished the metal inside of their factory mag? How did it work out?

2. NoStress

NoStress

I just polish my brass.

Full Semi-auto likes this.

3. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Never even heard of doing it.

I've never had any issues with my mags.

Periodically I clean the inside of them with Hoppes #9

GlockyQ likes this.
  4. sugerwater

sugerwater

I detail the inside of the magazines. I use a small stone to remove the burrs from the round count cut out holes. Also deburr any plastic flash on the follower.

5. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

I haven't had to do that with glock mags but I have done that with a surfire quad stack magazine.
    To the OP rarely do I deburr but I do use brownells mag slick spray it's a dry spray lubricant.

6. usnret

usnret

There is no real need to do that. But , hey it's your time and your mags. If it makes you feel good then do it. I only clean mine out if they get dropped into sand and gravel during a match.

7. nutsnax

nutsnax

I did it on a crappy Korean 15 round mag that wouldn't feed reliably. It feeds reliably now where it did not before. It was worth the couple of minutes worth of drill polishing with mother's mag polish. You can feel the difference when you load it too, it's really kind of amazing. Will it matter if it gets thrown in mud or sand? no idea, but at least I didn't have to throw this mag away. Yay!

8. tacit mesa

tacit mesa

I tend to not mess with magazines. In my experience, and that of the people who trained me, most malfunctions that aren't shooter-induced are caused by faulty magazines. I disassemble, inspect and clean them as needed and no more.

9. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I've never done/had to do that with any mags. It is somewhat important to keep them reasonably clean. And it's definitely a good idea to completely reload any mag dropped in sand/gravel/dirt. I've had foreign material lock up OE Glock mags.

-JCN- likes this.
  10. Bradd D

Bradd D

I put ammo in them and put them in the gun.

11. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

Typically that's were you are going to have the most issues crappy cheap magazines.
    Sometimes you get lucky and can get them to work. I never really do trust them even if I do manage to make them work.
    Got a cz527 in 7.62x39 that had a faulty magazine right out of the box. Last round would not sit right . I finally did get it to feed correctly but I also bought another magazine from czusa that one worked perfectly out of the package.
    Over the years I've learned not to wast effort and money on cheap magazines not when factory quality magazines are easily available just not worth it.

12. Full Semi-auto

Full Semi-auto

I try to stay away from the Polish mags and stick with the Austrian made ones.

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

There is no need to as far as I know. I never have and I have never had any problems.

14. nutsnax

nutsnax

I just did the same with a factory G22 mag only I ran some 3000 grit through it too and it had a more pronounced effect. The whole thing feels smoother and I don't seem to get any amount of cartridge tilt etc when flipping rounds out. Maybe doesn't matter, but was a lot of fun to do.

15. GlockyQ

GlockyQ Custom Title

I never heard of “polishing inside the magazine body” until now... But I also periodically clean inside my magazines with Hoppes No. 9 and flush all the carbon residue, dirt and dust with Gun Scrubber. (You will be surprised to see how dirty inside magazines can get after 1000 rounds.) I then wipe inside the magazine bodies with a large patch lightly sprayed with silicon dry lube. I’ve been cleaning my magazines of all pistols this way for decades to keep them trouble free. I also use ArmorAll to wipe the surface of Glock magazine bodies once in a while, so that they won’t get dried up.

16. cciman

cciman Mr. Spock

Only if there is a problem with the mags (aftermarkets, or generics).

Not routinely.

17. nugnuts

nugnuts

I haven't polished but I have sanded and debured and painted the followers orange on all my mag. the ones i could I ordered new followers in orange. they are easy to see if empty. and sprayed with a dry lube.

18. 9mmskng

9mmskng

You guys are BORED!

19. Intolerant

Intolerant

I clean them, and have sprayed dri-lube in some from time to time and that fixed the troubled ones. Other than that, just clean with solvent once in awhile, good to go. If you`re shooting dirty ammo, clean them more often. I dont see any real reason to polish them. I guess if you`re bored.

ThomasM4 likes this.
  20. Hilux1911

Hilux1911

Mine Self-Polish as I shoot them