Glock Talk banner

Polish P-64 in 9x18mm.

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  390ish 
#1 ·
Seems like I've seen a couple guys mention this little gun before here. Just kind of ran across an add for em' in Shotgun News. Royal Tiger has em' for $180 or for $20 bucks more($200) I can pick one up in Excellent condition. 6 shot mags, 9x18mmMak caliber. Seems to be a Walther PPK clone. Looks like it'd make a pretty decent little carry gun, especially in summer with shorts and a T shirt.
Need more info on this gun from those of ya'll that own it and have shot it.
Might be a good way to get started again then I can pick up something else at a later date.

#3 ·
Yep, you'd figure from a pistol that size shooting the 9x18mm that it'd have a bit of kick to it. By the by, does anyone have Royal Tiger's actual address so I can send them a copy of my C&R and does anyone know of any other dealers that are stocking this pistol? Thanks.

#4 ·
You could get a keltec p3at for 228. with free shipping from Buds. Or call CDNN and see if they have any pf9 9mms left for I think around 220. I'd rather have either of the KTs than the P64, especially for carry. Just my opinion.

My P64 is heavy, has the worst trigger of any DA auto I own, and doesnt fit my hand well. Not fun to shoot at all. My wife cant shoot it, cant pull the trigger, or rack the slide.
Just my .02

#6 ·
I have three.

Fairly well made.
Accurate.
Very reliable.
The terrible DA trigger is greatly improved with a mainspring change.
Kicks bad. I don't think anyone has wanted to finish shooting a box of 9x18 out of mine.
The gun gives the impression of being fairly small but is in fact about as big and heavy as a Makarov.
Extra magazines are probably impossible to find.

Overall a decent gun but the $200 might be better spent on a different gun, like added to the price of a Makarov.

#8 ·
Looks like it's somewhat of a stinker then. That's why I wanted to post up here first so I won't throw my money away on something that I'd not like. Thanks guys. :cool:

#9 · (Edited)
The P64 is not a stinker at all. It is a well made all steel pistol firing a decent cartridge, accurate to a fine degree, and reliable.
Changing the mainspring gives a decent DA trigger, and going to a heavier Wolff recoil spring moderates the kick.
While close, it is actually thinner than the Makarov, and shorter...very compact for carry, and disappears under a T shirt.
...And, while the 380 and 9mm shooters were scrambling for ammo during the ammo scare, and paying scalpers prices for it, I could get all the 9mm mak ammo I wanted for $9 a box.
M2 carbine says mags are probably impossible to find...I don't need any, I have four, but I did quick google and found them easily from several suppliers.

#11 ·
#12 ·
#13 ·
If you're looking at 9x18 alternatives consider the Polish P83. Interesting gun that uses stampings in its construction, and you really can't appreciate what that is without handling one. Very well made and a pleasure to shoot.

#14 ·
If you're looking at 9x18 alternatives consider the Polish P83. Interesting gun that uses stampings in its construction, and you really can't appreciate what that is without handling one. Very well made and a pleasure to shoot.
Isn't the P83 similar to the CZ-82?

The CZ-82 would be the perfect CCW gun if it was lighter. I have four and they are awesome guns!!! For concealability though I stand by my PA-63 reccomendation.

TGG

#15 ·
I've had one for a couple of years now, as have several members of my family. It's a well made little gun that shoots well. Only complaint I've got is the DA trigger pull, it's very stiff, SA trigger pull is fine. Recoil is stiff, but thats to be expected in a small, direct blow back piece.

I've seen reference before to changing the mainspring to reduce the DA trigger pull. Anybody know where I can find instructions on how to do this and where to get a replacement mainspring?

#16 · (Edited)
I've seen reference before to changing the mainspring to reduce the DA trigger pull. Anybody know where I can find instructions on how to do this and where to get a replacement mainspring?
Wolff Springs has the springs.
http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=49

I used a 18 and 16 pound main (hammer) spring. The 16 was too light. It gave a very good DA trigger but a "hair trigger" SA. I see that Wolf now has a 17 pound spring. Probably a good compromise.

Changing the spring is easy.
Remove the grips. Take note of how the spring, spring bar, hammer, mag release, etc all fit together.
Cock the hammer and at the bottom of the spring bar there is a hole. Put a pin in this hole and drop the hammer. The pin will keep the spring compressed so you can remove the spring/bar.
It's been a while ago that I replaced my springs, so I don't remember if I had to remove the mag catch or not, to remove the spring/bar.

Replace the spring on the bar.
Put everything back like it was, with the new spring.

If you are carrying the gun be sure to test it with the new spring and your carry ammo. The hammer strike will be lighter and could possibly cause a light primer strike on some 9x18 ammo.
I think but I'm not positive (it's been a couple years ago) that my 16 pound spring did give me a light primer strike once in a while. I'd guess the Wolff spring would be no problem.

#19 ·
I have two and love shooting them. The gun is every bit as accurate as my G19 and very easy to make follow up shots. With the right springs from Wolff the trigger can be nice and smooth while maintaining reliability.

That being said.... There are NO, zero, zip nada, nul, нулю, 零 parts available for these. The safety barrel is a known weakness for these and there have been several reports of these breaking after dropping the hammer with the decocker. This renders the gun 100% inoperable and no more of these are currently available. These guns also have no firing pin safety. That may not be an issue for you but I am not 100% convinced that they are drop safe.

#20 ·
Wolff Springs has the springs.
http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=49

I used a 18 and 16 pound main (hammer) spring. The 16 was too light. It gave a very good DA trigger but a "hair trigger" SA. I see that Wolf now has a 17 pound spring. Probably a good compromise.

Changing the spring is easy.
Remove the grips. Take note of how the spring, spring bar, hammer, mag release, etc all fit together.
Cock the hammer and at the bottom of the spring bar there is a hole. Put a pin in this hole and drop the hammer. The pin will keep the spring compressed so you can remove the spring/bar.
It's been a while ago that I replaced my springs, so I don't remember if I had to remove the mag catch or not, to remove the spring/bar.

Replace the spring on the bar.
Put everything back like it was, with the new spring.

If you are carrying the gun be sure to test it with the new spring and your carry ammo. The hammer strike will be lighter and could possibly cause a light primer strike on some 9x18 ammo.
I think but I'm not positive (it's been a couple years ago) that my 16 pound spring did give me a light primer strike once in a while. I'd guess the Wolff spring would be no problem.
Nice. Thanks for the help. This might be my next project.

#21 ·
I think the p-64 is amuck better pistol than the kel tec. Just swap out the mainspring and the recoil spring and you have a real shooter. I load the 95 grain xtp with 4.2 grains of AA2 and have a standard deviation of about 4 fps. Good for about 1040 fps. It is very accurate and thin. One of my favorite pistols.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.