Polish AK.

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by pag23, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

The vendor only sold high end AKs - he had a couple that were $2,350. I didn't see exactly what they were - maybe I will look closer next time.

I am more into shooting than collecting - and don't ever see myself spending that much on any gun.

2. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

The price-flation of AKs is a "bubble" to me

Hells, I'm tempted to throw $500 at the latest gen PSA AK and shoot the hell out of it, for that money, why not? Plus, IIRC they have a lifetime warranty. That'd put the demons of their past back into the closet IMO.

3. sleepdirt

sleepdirt

Do not waste your money on any US manufactured AK.
    There's a lot of real AKM's that are still reasonably priced if you know where to look and look well enough and with a little luck too.

4. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Sure us "harder core" AK enthusiasts feel like a valid AK has to be ex Soviet bloc guns, but I don't care what "choice gun" you get they have all had their issues. For the "AK curious" they don't know enough or perhaps want to know all the in's and out's and a US made AK with a lifetime warranty is a valid option. PSA does seem to be throwing down now with their 3rd gens. If $600 landed in my lap I'd have no problem spending it on the PSA gen 3.

uofaengr likes this.
  5. uofaengr

uofaengr

That's true, pretty much all the choice guns have had their share of issues too. I'm a combloc guy, but in that lower tier, after having experienced the mighty WASR, if someone gave me $700 and forced me to go buy one of the two, it'd likely be the PSA and buy mags and ammo with the remaining $100. You could apply this to a lot of AKs but $700 for a WASR is insane.

PattonWasRight likes this.
  6. WHEEELMAN

WHEEELMAN

The answer is NO. You do not want a Pioneer Arms AK.

Pioneer Arms does not build a good AK. Mishaco (owner of Ozark Bear Arms) did a review of one, and it failed. He will not carry them in his store. If you are not familiar with Mishaco, he is very savvy on the AK platform. So, if he won't carry a Pioneer Arms AK, then you don't want one. It doesn't matter if James River Armory did the conversion, the bones of that AK rifle are not good.

James River Armory is questionable on their builds. I have seen some decent JRA builds and some bad JRA builds, so they are hit or miss. That combination would be a definite "NO" on those Pioneer Arms AK's.

Palmetto State Armory AK's are yet to be determined as "good to go" in regards to their "Longevity". Right now, their Gen 3 AK is on the right track. But I would wait until there is a bigger sample of those PSA AK's with at least 15,000 rounds per rifle. I do know Mr. Rob Ski has done his usual 5k round test and it passed for the most part. Firing pin retaining pin fell out at some point, but knowing PSA, they will address the issue and correct it. The barrel bore was also in good shape at 5K.

You can't go wrong with a current production WASR. I do recommend one.

Unfortunately, the AK prices will never go back down. Demand is increasing, but the overseas supply is low and will continue to get lower.

I recommend you save up and buy a WBP AK from Atlantic Firearms. It is costly at 1k, but WBP Rogow makes some damn fine AK components. Poland, including the now defunct Radom factory, has always produced some very well machined AK components.

tacticaljoey likes this.
  7. Cracker007

Cracker007

3F5D051E-59EF-43F2-8B1B-3833294B6DF5.jpeg I built a polish underfolder from a circle 11 kit. The kit came from a demilled ak that was used in their military. That means the parts are going to be strong enough to work and not break. Childers makes 80 percent receivers out of polish blanks with the rails already welded in and the receiver is already heat treated. Arms of America has some unissued kits for sale right now. I’m going to eventually build one of those but I built a kit I bought from midway a long time ago first because it had more character.

PattonWasRight likes this.
  8. adamg01

adamg01

Is that a Vector build?

9. Z71bill

Z71bill

Armory USA

They use to have a shop 5 miles from my home.

I lost track - but it was between 2005 and 2010.

My understanding is the owners had a falling out - one wanted to stay high end and build quality guns at premium prices - the other wanted to sell cheaper guns and low prices.

They tried to work it out but eventually the wheels fell off and they went out of business.

The result was many Armory USA receivers were sold to whoever would buy them - and some of the builds were crap - and it hurt the reputation of the Armory USA brand.

I heard this story a few times - and talked with a guy that use to work there - but you never know if the stories are true of fake.

10. adamg01

adamg01

Yeah I remember them vaguely. I remember Vector done some Polish UF builds around that time. I bought one of their later Bulgarian builds and the sights were canted horribly. The older kit builds with legit CHF barrels are definitely worth keeping.

11. Z71bill

Z71bill

Me too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went to a gun show years ago - got there before the door opened - a guy in line had an AK for sale - $425 firm - I looked at it - it looked new - he said he had shot 2 boxes of ammo - needed the money - he claimed he paid $525 for it a month before - same company that I purchased my other AK -

It was the exact gun I wanted - but I told him I wanted to walk the show before I decided - he said fine - and - Oh BTW - it also comes with 500 rounds of ammo - 23 boxes of Wolf and 2 boxes of hunting HPs - plus 4 extra mags - they are in his car.
    Dam it was a little early for math - but I did my best --
    500 rounds of ammo back then was ~ $100
    4 extra mags ~ $50
    $425 - $100 - $50 = $275 for the gun - so I took it - how could I go wrong!
    I was on my way home before the show even started.
    It is built on an Armory USA receiver - black plastic furniture - looked new not a scratch.

I knew the front sight was canted a little and figured that is why the guy was really selling it so cheap. But - I knew how to fix that!

I shot it before trying to fix it - it was shooting 10 feet to the left at 25 yards!

Took me two tries but I got it to shoot straight.

I can't even guess - have put thousands of rounds through it - the spot weld that holds one of the rails to the side of the receiver failed and I had a welding shop re-weld it with a stick welder - it looks like crap but still shoots and I don't care - it is my beater AK and when the SHTF I would trust it to fight off zombies.