Police guard against 'vigilante' citizens on patrol

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by TBO, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

It would seem prudent to me to have them carry some kind of defensive weapon, if for no other reason than to use it for self protection. But, the police need to be the police concerning weapons matters.

It's kind of like with cops out of jurisdiction who carry for self protection, and under LEOSA. Citizens groups should carry for self protection, but not for LE purposes, just like any other citizen may be allowed to on a CCW license/permit.

2. RocPO

RocPO

Definately not a good idea to have people with little to no training "patrolling" with weapons. As we've seen already that just leads to a bad mix.

3. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Valid CHL = legal to conceal

I don't see the problem here.

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

True. Martin would be alive and (maybe) in jail and Zimmerman would be dead.(or in hospital)

At least according to most info I have heard. Its great to put yourself out there to help watch and limit yourself more as far as means of protecting yourself vs when going to a movie....

5. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 L T G

~ "The Cincinnati Police Department Citizens on Patrol Program and similar ones in the region take several precautions – ranging from rules that "prohibit volunteers" from patrolling alone "to carrying a weapon" to confronting a suspect physically or verbally" ~

This should help out the (he`s a good boy) Thugs on drugs...give `em a little boost of "confidence" to rob & kill more citizens that the "media" fails to report.....because of a little whining & pressure put on the police from the "actions" & statements of the true racist....

7. RocPO

RocPO

Neither woyld I. But when you start operating under the auspices of the dept you now have added liabilityfor the dept. If you want to play cop with a gun and uniform then take the tests.

My academy was 20 weeks long. We did a full 40 hours on the range. A CHL and a pittance of "training" is only going to lead to problems.

8. RocPO

RocPO

If we're going to play with maybes how about maybe zimmerman would have been less inclined to follow martin if he didn't have a gun on him?

9. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

I always love it when I read something like this, a full 40 hrs. Try impressing the guy or gal the grew up with a 22 rifle and spent many years serving their county handling everything from a handgun to a 50 cal. I don't want to demean anyone but there are many CC people that fully understand weapons and what they are about.

10. kenpoprofessor

kenpoprofessor

And this is the point I was making in a similar thread, thank you for bringing it up.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

11. kenpoprofessor

kenpoprofessor

Look up "qualified immunity"

Oh, so if I want to play with guns I should just join the military as well huh?

It's people like you who make the sheep docile and obedient. Your self righteous shepherd mentality will take you far I'm sure.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

12. owl6roll

owl6roll

Maybe he should have been in SCHOOL, Oh, but he was suspended. None of us were there, so lets leave it to the GRAND JURY, to figure it all out.

13. Zut

Zut

I grew up in Dayton and spent a lot of time in Cincinnati in the 70's and 80's. These areas they are talking about are terrible. I can't imagine why anyone would want to live there!

14. RocPO

RocPO

If you want to run around in a military uniform acting the part of the military, yes you should join the military. That would be more consistent with the point I was trying to make.

I have no problems with people carrying for their own protection. I have issues with people attempting to become the police with no training at all other then some basic paperwork and a concealed permit. I have issues with people going out of their way to put themselves in situations where they start to "Terry stop" people and end up causing themselves more problems.

15. RocPO

RocPO

So which of these two posters has anything to do with the topic of carrying weapons as a member of a "neighborhood watch" or "citizens on patrol" group? :faint:

16. Patchman

Patchman Florist

It's not the formal training, but the amount of experience, that makes the difference.

If you had a serious medical condition, do you want a just graduated MD, or a MD with ten or twenty years of real world experience dealing with patients having your medical condition?

The military gives their warfighters basic training, AIT, plus whatever other formal training. In addition, they're continually engaged in exercises designed to simulate combat or preparing them for combat.

LE gets an initial 40+ hours of formal firearms/tactical training. Plus tactical refresher courses once or twice a year. What's important is these training are put into use every day. Yes, LEOs are not engaged in shootouts everyday, but everyday they're involved with confrontations. LEOs learn and re-learn daily by dealing with situations where force (type and and how much of it) is needed.

17. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Plus they have radios, backup, vests, less than lethal options to work with, they have seen the crap other officers have had to go through in a lethal force encounter, and know enough to try to avoid that when possible.

The citizen is on his own, only has a large hammer to rely on if they get in over their head, more likely to just assume its a nail.

Randy

18. ca survivor

ca survivor

and is not a good idea for criminals to be roaming the streets with weapon either, if the police and courts will do their jobs there will be no need for citizen patrols.

19. ca survivor

ca survivor

Agree that's the way the officials like it, you dead, criminal not found, no public complaints no riots etc.