Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in my local gun shop the other day and mentioned how much I liked my Glock 19 and was told that police departments are dumping their Glocks in favor of Smith & Wesson. Has anyone else heard anything on this?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Just went from S&W to Glock 22. Officer said they did it 4 months ago and "we all really like them". Saw also the state game wardens had Glocks also. I had just traded for my 4th Glock, a G23Gen4 and so I was being nosey went right up to them and asked. I'm in a wheelchair and they were very open and nice to talk with.

As a side note my new Glock 23 Gen4 has run perfect through its first 50 shells. Thats a first for me and a Glock. My new (May 2013) Gen3 27 is still not going into battery/light strikes and so I'm trying to think of my next move with it.:dunno:Maybe a new RSA??

Every LEO around here has a Glock 22 on his hip. And after shooting my new 23 Gen4 I can see why.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Police Depts buy guns on whose got the best price and who gets the kick backs. Has nothing to do with getting the best guns, or which guns the officers want. Politics and money is the bottom line.

·
Federal Member
30,475 Posts
Police Depts buy guns on whose got the best price and who gets the kick backs. Has nothing to do with getting the best guns, or which guns the officers want. Politics and money is the bottom line.
:agree:

·
NOT a sheepdog!
2,441 Posts
Darn. I was hoping to pick up some trade-in G19's or 17's.

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
MOST of the troubles I've heard with the Gen4 Glocks?
9mm models, particularly the G19.

What caliber do police departments use? I can tell you very few use 9mm, I think MOST go with .40, some .357SIG, and maybe some .45ACP or .45GAP. But by far, the .40 models are the choice of LEO departments.

They're not having problems, so why would they be wanting to leave them.

·
Resident Evil
4,369 Posts
I was in my local gun shop the other day and mentioned how much I liked my Glock 19 and was told that police departments are dumping their Glocks in favor of Smith & Wesson. Has anyone else heard anything on this?
Yes.

I'm a Glock shareholder and there was a release included with my latest quarterly report. They said that they have experienced a 27% decrease in government and LE contracts since the start of this fiscal year.

They did not say who those contracts went to instead, but like your man at the shop, I strongly suspect Smith and Wesson. I'm planning on getting out of my Glock stock and transferring the money into S&W shares.

Maybe the guy at your store is a Glock shareholder as well.

:rofl:

No one that is in a position to be privy to accurate figures regarding Glock's government contract sales is going to post that info on a public forum. They are also not going to inform the dude at the local gun store. My guess is the guy doesn't like Glocks and was giving you grief or he was about to try and sell you an M&P, which you should buy in .45 as they are nice pistols. :supergrin:

I'm not a Glock shareholder but I am trying to get adopted by Gaston.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Hasn't happened around here. We moved from Gen 3 to 4's a couple years ago. The SO recently went to M&Ps from Beretta 92s. HP also went to Smiths from Sigs.(Troopers were pissed over that one) Troopers also got M&P rifles as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Resident Evil
4,369 Posts
Hasn't happened around here. We moved from Gen 3 to 4's a couple years ago. The SO recently went to M&Ps from Beretta 92s. HP also went to Smiths from Sigs.(Troopers were pissed over that one) Troopers also got M&P rifles as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a point I think Fastbolt brought up. That S&W can offer a package with pistols and rifles with one stop after sales support. I imagine that can be a pretty convincing reason to do that.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The truth is that S&W's LE sales have hit a slump do to them pissing of their LE distributors. S&W took a stab at selling directly to LE Agencies and now LE distributors have dropped them. Now S&W is trying to market, demo, and sale their own guns, but it isn't working well. Most of these departments want to trade seized firearms for new duty weapons but it is hard to do with a manufacturer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is true many large police departments are moving over to the S&W MP line. I am guessing it may be related to QC problems with Glock and/or S&W wanting a larger market share. Many of the dept. buyers go on price some decide on quality and function over cost it all depends on the dept. I have noticed a small trend on state police changing to the 45 ACP (45 ACP + P) caliber.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.