close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Poison Ivy Relief

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glocky Joe, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Glocky Joe

Glocky Joe

I got me some poison ivy rashes on my my arms. Big red blotches with some "blisters" filled with a yellowish looking goo.

What can I do to lessen the itch?
    Looking for more of a home-brewed/backwoods/redneck remedy as I have tried:

Benedryll (just can't keep my eyes open, great for bed time though)

Calamine Lotion (just peels off like another layer of skin when I scratch. Doesn't stop the itch.)

Cortisone Cream %1.0(still itchy, so it gets scratched).

Tried to "dry" it out using rubbing alcohol and witch-hazel. (aside from the satisfying burn, the itch returns momentarily.)

And yes, I have even tried open-carry, but the evil poison ivy was not intimidated, granted it was only a .40cal. maybe 10mm would help?

I have had it for almost a week, but it is getting itchier as it seems to heal.

Any tips (aside from not touching it, now that I have seen the face of the enemy, it will be avoided in the future) or remedys will be greatly appreciated.

2. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Go to a nursery and get a fresh aloe leaf.

3. Wake County Glockman

Wake County Glockman

Sold at Kerr Drugs, Rite Aid, and Walgreens a product called Ivy Dry.

4. datnvan

datnvan

someone mentioned to me lemon juice but i have no idea if that will sting like there's no tomorrow.

5. Wake County Glockman

Wake County Glockman

Sting might be a good thing, might take the mind off the itch.:cool:

6. Buoyboy

Buoyboy

My wife can't take steroids so she used

http://www.zanfel.com/help/

About $40 per 1 0z tube.

But she still had the itch.

She used fresh raw Aloe from whole foods produce section.

Took about 10 days

7. Shuutr

Shuutr

(from a pharmacist)

Fight the source. Get rid of the ursodiol. The oil causing the problem. If its on something you frequently wear (shirt/coat) get it cleaned. Zanfel will get it off your skin.

A baking soda and oatmeal paste will dry out the skin and help with the itching. Or vinegar poured over the area. Might sting a little but better after.

After that, it's healing time.

8. Unlocked

Unlocked 4 8 15 16 23 42 CLM

9. NickC50310

NickC50310

Zanfel. Be sure to fllow the instructions or it wont work! I get it every year.

10. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

That is the only thing that has worked for me in the past, and now if I get into it I get a prescription right from the start.

11. XDfense

XDfense

Bleach works great. Just put some on a cotton ball and lightly go over the rash. As a child I was bothered with poison ivy almost constantly in the summer months. Bleach will dry it out and take the itch away.

FYI, vinegar on a sunburn will take out the burn. These are the two home remedies I've used that really do work.

12. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Benedryl makes a lotion that works fairly well, you just can't combine it and the pills at the same time. There are soaps and washes to use for after exposure but pre symptoms, they work fairly well. Consider all your clothing and anything you've been on to be contaminated by the oils and treat it accordingly.

13. Glocky Joe

Glocky Joe

Thank you all for your replies. The clothes have been taken care of all ready, I was really mad and fixed them with fire, so no continuing contact with the oils.

lemon juice, vinegar, oatmeal & baking soda, and bleach will be tried today. (not all at the same time) Either my arms will fall off, or the rash will dry out.

BTW, I have found bleach is the only thing that works if you get cut with galvanized metal. Hope it works on the poison ivy just as well.

14. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Never burn contaminated clothing or poison vines. NEVER. The oil turns into an aerosol and rides on the smoke, anyone inhaling it can get poison ivy in their mouth, throat, or lungs. I've seen it before and it is NOT pretty at all. Best thing to do with the vines is dig a hole and bury it and mark the spot, the oils can be active for over a year. Clothing needs to be washed in hot water with soap, I personally have some special soap made just to remove poison oils. Feel better man.

15. Glocker32c

Glocker32c

Glocky,

Go swimming in a swimming pool. The chlorine will dry the ivy up in a couple of days.

Glocker

16. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

razor blade and a can of salt. Slice of the tops and pour in the salt!

J/K, don't do this!

17. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I've had good luck with Tecnu products.

18. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

No one mentioned this yet, so I will. It will take TIME, and only TIME to heal the poison ivy. That is a fact. While you are waiting for it to heal, you can either use a hair dryer, or hot water in the sink or shower. It will give you an incredibly nice feeling. After heating it up, it will not itch, or bother you, for at least a couple hours.

Other than that, Prednizone will make it heal a lot faster, but you will still itch during the healing period. Hot air/water will temporarily relieve the itch.

19. Sheepdog689

Sheepdog689 NRA Life Member

A bar of Fels Naptha soap...if you can still find it. It's the old style bar of laundry soap. Very high alkaline content so it dries everything out.

Scrub the area with the Fels Naptha...it's going to burn like h*ll, but it will dry out the poison ivy and stop the itching. It's always worked for me. Once it dries up make sure you use some type of hand lotion on your skin because it's going to dry your skin out too.

If you know you've gotten into poison ivy, rinse you hands or whatever is exposed to it (except for your eyes/nose/mouth) with ammonia. It counteracts the chemical in poison ivy which is an acid, the ammonia is a base so it will neutralize it. That works for me too. Just wash up really good after your ammonia bath and make sure you use the ammonia outside. I'm sure the webcrawler warnings of an impending environmental disaster are going off right now at the EPA when they pick up my post on their internet sweeps, but so be it....it works.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  20. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

The one and only time I got poison Ivy I ended up in the E.R.. They shot me up and a couple of days later I was good. I was actually having difficulty breathing and it ended up in my blood stream. The Dr. said he had never seen a worse case.