close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Point of aim problem in Glock 22 and 27?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Russell420, May 9, 2003.

1. Russell420

Russell420

Having always either been issued or carried my own Sig pistol as a police officer, I decided to make the switch to Glock and ordered and received my brand new Glock 22 and 27. Both guns are completely stock except I installed Meprolight night sights on each pistol without a problem and went to the range to get them sighted in with our required duty load, 180 grain Speer Gold Dots. Both pistols shoot unacceptably high, approximately 5.5-6 inches at 25 yards. Meprolight advises that they don't have any shorter rear sights for the pistols, and they suggested I contact Glock about the problem, since it sounded like a "lock up" problem. Glock says to send the guns to them so they can figure it out. Is this a common problem with Glocks? I realize different bullet weights shoot to different points of aim, but changing ammo is not an option here. Anyone experienced a similar problem? If so, what was wrong with the gun? Thanks in advance for your opinions.:(

2. Newbie 9mm

Newbie 9mm

I have a glock 23 and noticed the same type of problems. Factory sights, 180 grain shot 2" high at 10 yds, and the 165 grain ammo shot to POA @ 10 yds. Then i went to ameriglo Novak style 3 dot night sights, the same I have on my glock 17 that shoots to point of aim. On the glock 23, with the same sights, it still shoots 2" or more high at 10 yds, and the 165 shoots about an inch high at the same distance, with the Blazer lawman 180, and win white box 165, used for both tests with the factory and Ameriglo's. Then i went to corbons. 135 grain, 4 to 5" low at 10 yds, the 165 were only 2" low at 10 yds. i'll have to do some more shooting, but the sights on the 23 were and still are off in terms of POI/POA with most loads. the 165 reg stuff hits pretty close, as does the 180 grain PMC starfires. The 180 practice ammo is pretty sporadic, and the higher power stuff is everywhere. Dunno if it is me anticipating recoil or not, but I def trust my 9mm more because the hits are consistent POI/POA.

3. Razor 2-6

Razor 2-6 Dual Cool Guy

hi-
    if you don't have much experience with glocks, that's the problem.
    alot of shooters (myself included) complain of point of aim/point of impact problems with the glock. the problem lies in the grip angle of the weapon. here's the test. pickup any other gun you have trained heavily with. close your eyes, and point it as you normally do. open your eyes. my bet is that your sight picture is near perfect. now pick up your glocks, and without concentrating, try it again. i'm betting that the sight picture is way off. and extreme case of this would be with me and that funky steyr that came out a couple years ago. i was shooting one,and i was 8" low and 3" right. AT 10 YARDS!!!

time and practice will change that. that's one of the reasons that i sold all of my glocks. i shot 22/23/19/26 & 35's religiously,and then when it came time to qualify with the beretta or 1911, i sucked! (i qualified as expert with both before my glock excurision.) i felt that it was more important to be good with what i would be issued than with something i got because everyone else said was cool. (for me, sigs point pretty much like the beretta and 1911.)

some people can shoot all guns just fine. but i'd say alot more had imitial problems and had to become either "glock shooters" or everything else shooters.

i'd have someone at your dept. with a background in glocks fire your weapons. if they hit dead center, it's you. if they are off like you are, it's the sights.

email me if you have any questions.

4. Newbie 9mm

Newbie 9mm

All I have really shot is Glocks, and with my 17 with the same sights on it, I have no problems. I can pick up almost any box of ammo and be right on, except for a few exceptions which shoot slightly to the left, usually found in match grade ammo. The glock 23 seems very picky about what it shoots. The 165 grain win white box shoots great, but the 180 grain stuff is usually off from POI by a few inches up or down, depending on the load used. I have shot a Kimber a couple times over a year, but mostly I shoot the glocks, or my .22lr walther target pistol, or .22lr Colt Officers Match. Almost all of my centerfire is with the glocks. I am going to have some friends shoot it and see what they think. It could be me anticipating the recoil or something.