Point and laugh.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Mhiett, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

I got a ticket this morning. Here's the story.

I live in a town of +\- 70k, depending on whether or not the university is occupied. So, pretty small compare to my southern California roots. There are roughly two hundred sworn officers keeping the peace out there.

I'm a gun toting, religious, "right wing extremist", if you will. I'm at the range three or four times a month. What I'm trying to say is that I'm on a first name basis with 80% of the police force (for the right reasons, not the wrong ones).

I happen to also be one of multiple music ministers at my church. I tell you that to tell you this;

on my way to work, I had my phone set to our church website, listening to our sets from Sunday morning. I'm driving to work, trying to get some outside work done. The problem, it seems, is that I was warring my iPod earbuds. Yes. I was operating a vehicle with headphones on.

I saw the cop. I waved to the cop. I passed the cop. The cop pulls out three cars behind me, makes his way to the space behind me. Lights me up.

I have known this guy for literally three years. His kids know my kids, that kind of thing. He got out of his car and literally laughed at me for being a dummy. Told me to take my citation to court and get it dropped, but he had to write it. Blanket enforcement, so that's all good.

Overall a good experience. So, everyone point and laught at this idiot.

2. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Why is it illegal to drive with headphones on?
    Most states require handsfree headsets for cellphones.
    Whats the difference?
    What about a Lincoln that eliminates road noise and you have the radio up? You can't hear anything then either.

I don't get it. BS law.

3. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

Deaf people can drive too. But, law is law. I'm not gonna argue, I messed up. Apparently it's been an issue witht he college students and they are being hard nosed about it. It was worth the stop to get a laugh.

4. trifecta

trifecta

Your points are valid. I believe the idea is to not miss sirens or horns. Yes, I can turn my radio up plenty loud to not hear anything anyway. I choose not to wear headphones.

I will not laugh and call the OP an idiot. Things happen, people do things. We all live and learn. Some, like the OP, come out with their character and humor intact. Rather than laughing, I will send a :wavey:

5. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I don't know why but this is really pissing me off. There are no restrictions to keep deaf people from driving.
    My handsfree device for my blackberry has two ear buds.
    And I'm deaf in my right ear (oddly second post I've mentioned that in today. Hmmm) so even if I just have on a bluetooth headset.....same freaking effect.

Why is everyone so content to say..."well, a law is a law"!?!?!

It used to be the law that the king could deflower your wife. Did that make it OK?

Jesus Christ when will it stop. Sensless feel-good laws are taking over every aspect of our lives and we just sit here.
    I can't buy lawn darts. Freakin lawn darts are illegal per federal law. It's the most simple of implements. Why not outlaw dirt and rocks?

Every man in this country needs to start rioting and just going "Falling Down" on elected officials that keep passing this crap thru.:steamed:

6. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

Looks like you picked the wrong day to quit smoking.

All kidding aside, I am well aware of the safety hazard of driving with headphones on, especially since I was by my own admission split focused, driving and making mental notes on our church service. What I did was blatantly against the traffic code, and I knew that. No one tried to take my liberties away, I promise. I'll get it dropped, or I won't and I'll take my lumps and move on.

7. trifecta

trifecta

Again, Dave your points on the headphones have some merit. However, laws are laws because we passed that law or my/your/our elected officials passed that law. Not all of us like all laws and some laws outlive their usefullness or purpose. Then we change them. Rules and laws are what keep our society civilized and maintain order. Take them away, and for a time you have anarchy. Then somebody with the most power will make their own rules and from what I can tell in Somalia, that plan sucks.

8. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

Lawn darts are out. But, you can still get the slip and slide. Those are fun.

9. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Did the headphones have you any more distracted than if you were streaming it thru your car speakers loudly and taking the same mental notes...which is completely legal?

My headphones aren't nearly as loud as my car speakers.

Stick up for it all you want it's a dumb law and it's angering me beyond belief today for some reason. :supergrin:

And I didn't quit smoking, I quit sniffing glue. :rofl:

But I am home today with a sick baby, maybe it has me on edge...

10. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

My yard is too hard-grounded for slip and slide...esspecially with my advanced level of..um...ok I'm fat.

11. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

We don't write those tickets unless they are needed ...like REALLY NEEDED...

This does not appear to be the case here it seems the officers there have their discretion removed???

12. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

It's all good man. I'm not sticking up for it, I'm just saying it is what it is. If someone brought me a petition, I'd sign it. But I'm not going to let it steal my joy. If you look at it from the aspect of the encounter as opposed to the actual ticket, it's a funny start to the morning.

And it also brings to light an air of professionalism, if you ask me. I respect this particular officer very much, he has a great family, his kids are in karate with mine. And he cited me. He had to. Sometimes that has to suck on an LEOs behalf. I empathize with that.

I picked the wrong week to quit taking amphetimimes.

13. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

It appears so. It's apparently been an issue witht the university, and therefore enforced. :dunno:

14. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I'm not talking about legalizing rape and murder.
    But some laws are passed for feeling rather than effect. And we all know once it is...if it's not a super hot issue, no one will go thru the effort to repeal it.

Switchblades...no worse than the griptillian in my pocket, I haven't even wanted one since I was like 15, but it still bothers me that I can't have one if I change my mind.
    The headphones and driving crap...obviously thats a hot button today :whistling:
    The lawn darts...seriously man. Worst of the worst. I can guy an Uzi, legally. But a giant dart? JEEZUS NO!!! it's for the children. Come on.
    But not many people care about lawndarts. They aren't worth the trouble cuz it's a boring game so why spend years changing the law?
    Because it's the tip of the iceburg thats why.

I'm just ranting about the really trivial crap. I'm not even worrying about my more hardcore libertarian stuff like prostitution and marijuana. I at least UNDERSTAND those laws somewhat.

15. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

Hahaha. I felt like I broke my spleen last time I tried one.

16. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I don't have a problem with the cop. And it's a good story. I didn't mean to thread-jack.

I'd start a new thread but I did the same one a few months ago. :whistling:
    But I didn't know about the headphone thing, so it's a new wound for me. :supergrin:

17. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

If I post in GNG, by the end of what would surely be a twenty page thread, the power hungry cop wouldve dragged me out of the car, disarmed me, taken my iPhone as evidence, forced me to admit wrongdoing, etc. Hat, appointment, seven miles, paint it orange.

18. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Good sense of humor, you have.

I'm sure God helps with the demeanor. :thumbsup:

19. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

I wouldn't have written that ticket unless it was absolutley necessary. Your situation was not necessary.

20. Mhiett

Mhiett God is Love.

What, specifically, made my particular situation unnecessary? Just to satisfy my own curiousity.

And the reason I ask that is, for lack of a better term, favoritism. What or where is the line drawn?