Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pocket carrying for a couple years now. I carry a Glock 43 with Taran Tactical +3 mag extension, all in a Pocket Locker by Vedder (https://www.vedderholsters.com/pocket-locker/). It lives in the right front pocket of my cargo pants. All the extra pockets allow me to easily carry a mag pouch with extra 2 extra mags, each with Taran Tactical +2 mag extensions.

The issue I'm having is the anatomy of the right-front pocket where my weapon lives makes is hard to draw my weapon quickly. Also, I only have one pair of those pants and I can't seem to find another pair anywhere.

Should I give up on cargo pants and look for tactical pants? If so, what brand and style? What kind of pants do you guys wear for pocket carry? Suggestions welcome, I might be missing something.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I have exactly one pair of "tactical" pants. They are 5.11 brand. They are the only pants I can comfortably carry my G43 in the pocket. I actually don't carry in the "cargo" pockets as the print would be more obvious as they are pretty flat. These pants have an "inner" pocket in the normal pocket location and the G43 rides in it well, grip and draw work great.

That is all the good news. The bad news is I hate both cargo and those 5.11 pants. I wear normal Levi jeans most days, so when I am pocket carrying, only my PM9 fits the bill (and it is on the outter limits for me, not so much from a printing standpoint, but more from a grip and draw standpoint).

In the end, when I want to carry one of my mouse gun 9's, I usually just AIWB and call it good. Much faster to grip and draw, very easy to carry.

·
Elite Member
6,661 Posts
I pocket carry my 43 in normal pants, with a standard 6 round flush fit mag. Why not just carry with a flush fit mag and use the extended mags as backup? If you're using a 9 round mag it seems like that thing would print like a full-size. Why not just carry a 26 with a flush mag at that point? It would probably conceal better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
693 Posts
I wonder if pocket carrying a Glock 26 might be a better option? Sure it's a bit thicker, but I wonder if it's the extension that is messing with your draw stroke more so than the width of the gun?

I prefer carrying on the belt, but if I pocket carry it's usually a 5-shot J-frame or an RM380

Reactions: Lawdog3 and azks804

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't pocket carry, but I'm curious as to why you aren't considering switching to IWB? I can almost guarantee switching to IWB would solve both concerns you have - speed and clothing options..
Valid question. I don’t have a good answer. It’s because I bought and tried a IWB holster once, and it was really uncomfortable, so I just went back to the pocket. Maybe I need to try it again.
I have exactly one pair of "tactical" pants. They are 5.11 brand. They are the only pants I can comfortably carry my G43 in the pocket. I actually don't carry in the "cargo" pockets as the print would be more obvious as they are pretty flat. These pants have an "inner" pocket in the normal pocket location and the G43 rides in it well, grip and draw work great.

That is all the good news. The bad news is I hate both cargo and those 5.11 pants. I wear normal Levi jeans most days, so when I am pocket carrying, only my PM9 fits the bill (and it is on the outter limits for me, not so much from a printing standpoint, but more from a grip and draw standpoint).

In the end, when I want to carry one of my mouse gun 9's, I usually just AIWB and call it good. Much faster to grip and draw, very easy to carry.
Interesting points. I’ve seen the 5.11 pants and they look good; I should probably get a pair.
I know what IWB means, what does AIWB mean?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pocket carry my 43 in normal pants, with a standard 6 round flush fit mag. Why not just carry with a flush fit mag and use the extended mags as backup? If you're using a 9 round mag it seems like that thing would print like a full-size. Why not just carry a 26 with a flush mag at that point? It would probably conceal better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have big hands and I can’t seem to get a good purchase on the grip with a flush mag. That, plus the 3 extra rounds before reloading in a worst-case scenario, is why I carry what I carry. Having said that, I’m planning to try a 26 in the next week or two.

I wonder if pocket carrying a Glock 26 might be a better option? Sure it's a bit thicker, but I wonder if it's the extension that is messing with your draw stroke more so than the width of the gun?

I prefer carrying on the belt, but if I pocket carry it's usually a 5-shot J-frame or an RM380
Actually, the extension IS interfering with my draw stroke. My current pants are Wrangler cargo pants and the top opening is a little too constricted to rapidly draw my weapon. I can’t go back to a flush magazine because of my hand size, so it seems like I need different pants!

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Interesting points. I’ve seen the 5.11 pants and they look good; I should probably get a pair.
I know what IWB means, what does AIWB mean?
AIWB is Appendix position Inside the Waistband. Mine is closer to 2pm versus straight Appendix position.

The 5.11’s I bought are very nicely finished. I think they weren’t their cheapest. What is your waist band and inseam size? If they are your size, I will send them to you. :)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I occasionally pocket carry a Ruger LCP but find that it really slows down my draw times. I prefer either AIWB with my Ruger or IWB with my Shield. Comfort wise, my hybrid Alien Gear holster works best for me. Like everyone else, I have a drawer full of holsters that just didn't work for me. You have to find something that works just for you regarding clothing and holster options depending on your lifestyle and climate. Good luck with your search. As others have previously stated, stick with a flush magazine if you can as I have also found that an extended mag does seem to print more.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Valid question. I don’t have a good answer. It’s because I bought and tried a IWB holster once, and it was really uncomfortable, so I just went back to the pocket. Maybe I need to try it again.
That's perfectly understandable. Finding the right holster and belt selection, along with carry location, is crucial to find long term comfort, concealment and effectiveness (should you need it) - and it wont be the same for everybody. Giving yourself some time to adjust is usually needed too - most won't feel very comfortable for the first bit. The key is to pay attention to IF the setup starts feeling more comfortable with time - if yes, stick with it longer, if not, move on to a different setup.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I’ve been wearing 5.11 pants for years; actually the only kinda pants I own. Super comfortable, lots of pockets, and they look professional. Once they get torn, worn, or stained, they become yard work/ woods pants. Paired with a solid 1.75” belt and you can pocket carry a G26 comfortably (can’t promise it won’t print however).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AIWB is Appendix position Inside the Waistband. Mine is closer to 2pm versus straight Appendix position.

The 5.11’s I bought are very nicely finished. I think they weren’t their cheapest. What is your waist band and inseam size? If they are your size, I will send them to you. :)
Ahh.. alright, thanks for explaining AIWB. That would be the conceal position I see sometimes, where the guy pulls up his t-shirt from the front, and there's the gun grip sticking up (under the belly button) at an angle... am I correct? Clearly, I have much to learn. But that's why I am here on GT.

As to 5.11's... thanks for your kind offer. I wear 38 waist and usually 32 or 33 inseam.

·
Registered
278 Posts
After trying both these methods I went with a holster IWB
To draw quickly with a proper grip is much easier with a holster you have practiced with.
I do pocket carry though.
I carry an 11 ounce J frame in my front pocket.

I've been pocket carrying for a couple years now. I carry a Glock 43 with Taran Tactical +3 mag extension, all in a Pocket Locker by Vedder (https://www.vedderholsters.com/pocket-locker/). It lives in the right front pocket of my cargo pants. All the extra pockets allow me to easily carry a mag pouch with extra 2 extra mags, each with Taran Tactical +2 mag extensions.

The issue I'm having is the anatomy of the right-front pocket where my weapon lives makes is hard to draw my weapon quickly. Also, I only have one pair of those pants and I can't seem to find another pair anywhere.

Should I give up on cargo pants and look for tactical pants? If so, what brand and style? What kind of pants do you guys wear for pocket carry? Suggestions welcome, I might be missing something.
ve

Reactions: azks804

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Ahh.. alright, thanks for explaining AIWB. That would be the conceal position I see sometimes, where the guy pulls up his t-shirt from the front, and there's the gun grip sticking up (under the belly button) at an angle... am I correct? Clearly, I have much to learn. But that's why I am here on GT.

As to 5.11's... thanks for your kind offer. I wear 38 waist and usually 32 or 33 inseam.
AIWB is that yes, grab your cover in the front with your off hand and grip and draw.

PM me your address, I will send you the 5.11’s, they may be a little tight in the waist, but they have elastic so you probably will be able to get them on, in any case, you will be able to see how the style works for you.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've been carrying my G26 in the front pocket of my black pleated Dockers-type pants from WalMart for the 3 months I've had it. The brand is WalMart's "George", and they might have even a little shallower pockets than Dockers. I'm 5' 10 3/4", and 175 lbs.

The holster is a kydex off ebay (jbowe), similar to the Vedder. I have a 1.5" belt by Carhartt. I've been walking a hour and a half each day and it's fine. The black color and pleats help hide it: my cellphone, keys, etc, in the other pocket make a similar, if smaller, impression.

The draw isn't particular smooth, but the holster stays in pocket most times. Releasing it from the holster before drawing makes it smoother.

The height is most important dimension, in my opinion, and that extended mag on a gun that starts off taller than a 26 doesn't help.

You might be a candidate for a G26, or dare I say, a P365, lol. Although, the P365's shortness might just bury the gun TOO far in the pocket. I'll find out at some point, since I have one on order. :)

My fantasy of an RMR on my pocket carry G26 will remain a fantasy, I fear, unless some new technology comes along. )

·
Registered
693 Posts
Perhaps when looking for new pants you will want to try out some slanted seamed front pockets.

There are many different styles for front pockets, and I find the slanted & straight seamed side pocket styles to provide the best draw from a pocket holster.
Text Line Font Parallel Black-and-white

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AIWB is that yes, grab your cover in the front with your off hand and grip and draw.

PM me your address, I will send you the 5.11’s, they may be a little tight in the waist, but they have elastic so you probably will be able to get them on, in any case, you will be able to see how the style works for you.
PM sent. Thank you!!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts