Pocket Carry—G42/43 v Competition

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ninjamin7, Aug 12, 2017.

1. ninjamin7

ninjamin7

I'm interested in carrying a "pocket pistol" and would like to hear your opinions about the Glock 42 and 43 and their competition, namely, the Kimber Micro 380, Kimber Micro 9, S&W Bodyguard 380, S&W Shield, Sig P238, and Sig P938. Other comparable models are also welcome, but these are my top contenders. Thank you!

2. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I like everyone you've listed. I'm impressed with the triggers on the two Sigs and the Kimbers, for what they are, dry firing at least. I've never fired either of the Kimbers. My wife really liked the P238. I like 1911s full-size, plus I prefer a heavier trigger on a carry gun. I have both of the Glocks, a Bodyguard and a Shield. My wife carries the 42 and I pocket carry the Bodyguard. I consider the 43 and the Shield just a bit on the large size for pocket, for me at least. My Shield is not carried. I'm not a tactical britches sort of guy. I have pocket carried my wife's 42 and liked it, but I'm happy with what I have.

3. dkf

dkf

About all I care to pocket carry myself (due to size and weight) is an LCP or similar size/weight pistol. Thus the majority of pistols on your list would be a no go for me for pocket carry.

4. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

I pocket carry my LCP or my 642. My Glock 42 carries well in my pocket, but the rear sights get hang up a lot on the draw. Not a problem with the LCP or the 642. I had a Glock 43 that I sold. For me, it was too big for pocket carry.

5. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

Look all these up on You Tube on Hickock 45.

That's what I did and eventually settled on the GLOCK 42 w/extra rounds magazine for a 10 round capacity.... Also you can Type in the models you are interested in and get video reviews.... On Google, Bing or most any Browser. Go to General Fire arms here on GT
    and have a ball.

This forum is mostly for chit chat and not all that much to do with fire arms. Yet we all have our preferences and think every one else is misinformed.

Biggest advice I can give you is to go slow and narrow down your field. Then watch the review videos several times until the light bulb goes on and tells you..... ! really like this gun or that gun. I usually research from three months to over 10 years and have rarely made a wrong choice in my final decision to purchase. Besides it's a ton of fun and you really get to like or dislike certain reviewers.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    ninjamin7 likes this.
  6. Descendant

Descendant

7. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

I started my pocket carry adventures with the LCP and have tried a wide variety of others since. The G42 was just too big for my style of pockets and it proved to be a hindrance in drawabilty and comfort. The 43 was a for sure a no go. My LCP has proven to be my go to pocket carry in fact I have three; two customs and a gen2. The G42 sure did shoot nice though.

8. ninjamin7

ninjamin7

I love it! It even has a tac rail! Where can I get in line? :D

9. Descendant

Descendant

DIY
    All you need is a jigsaw and a dremel..

10. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

If have carried a G42 for about the last year, inside my smallest pockets, using a MIC and lately an Alabama pocket holster. I shoot the G42 as well as any Glock I own (at least to 15 yds).

I worked really hard to get my PM9 to a place where I could shoot it as well as my G42, but never quite made it. I was getting close to start carrying it (it carries almost identically in my pocket, including being able to use my G42 MIC or Alabama holster) and just started having feed issues.

Recently I bought a Kimber Micro 9 on the recommendation of -JCN-. I just got to shoot it for the first time today. Carry wise it is the same as my G42 and PM9 (almost exactly the same size and very close in weight). I loaded the 7 round magazine and started with a 7 shot Bill drill (draw and empty the magazine as quickly as possible with COM hits) The resulting target at 7 yds was a group smaller than a fist, wow, I was stunned. The gun is extremely easy to shoot fast/accurate, it just stays planted in your hand. I shot 200 or my SD simulating reloads and 50 of my preferred carry 124gr +P HST. The only feed failure I had was when I failed to seat the flat base magazine (6 round) on a fast reload. Otherwise, flawless operation.

I got another 250 rounds to go, if everything goes like today, the Micro 9 will be my pocket EDC soon.

11. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Wow! Over analyze much?

12. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I have both and like the G-42 over the G-43, but if I had to carry one which I don't, it would be the G-43 in a BORII 2A pocket holster.
    It's my G-27 in a BORII 2A pocket holster today that gets the nod.

greg vanstralen likes this.
  13. rotorwind

rotorwind

Glock 43 is slightly too big for pocket carry (for me). Kahr CM9 works. Great size/weight and 9mm. Check one out

14. timmay

timmay

I came REAL close to buying one of those Kimbers while shopping for my CM9. I may still pick one up. If you have any interest in investing a little more in your PM9, Lakeline LLC makes an aluminum mag follower for Kahrs. $20 apiece, but they solved the issue of the top round in my backup mags coming out in my pocket, and the top round will now feed even while riding the slide home.

I've been impressed with the accuracy of the Kahr. I can't run it as fast as my Glocks, but I'm not a lot slower at this point, with similar accuracy. I like the Kahr trigger for a pocket carry piece , but don't have any interest in their larger models.. I was surprised at being able to consistantly ring a ten inch plate at 50 yds with it. 100% reliable so far. I have about 600 rounds through it.

15. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

If I ever pocket-carried a G43, I'd have a very large pocket.

9jeeps likes this.
  16. 9jeeps

9jeeps rip "Bud"

Probably but I have never had enough money to waste on toys to buy at retail and sell at junk prices. So in fifty to seventy years I can count my bad decisions on one hand. How about you?

17. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Thanks for the heads up. I am not going to sell it yet. I spent the last year working my technique to get the PM9 close to the G42. Feed has been flawless for many thousands of rounds, up until the last range trip, before I was going to start carrying it daily, typical. I suspect it may just be a worn recoil spring, I plan to replace it before going any further. I have read a lot of accounts of the loose top round in pocket thing, but so far, it hasn't been a problem, although I also wasn't doing EDC with it, just test days.

Slow fire the accuracy of my PM9 is really good. The combination of a small grip that wants to move around in my hand under recoil and the long DA style trigger reset, conspires to make really shooting it well, a challenge. The thing that makes the G42 so fast and accurate is the Glock trigger and diminutive recoil.

The Kimber, if it remains reliable, seems to be the best of all worlds for a pocket gun, at least for me. The grip seems to stay planted, the trigger while not being like a worked 1911, is 1911ish, very fast. The gun does seem to have a little more muzzle flip than either my PM9 or G43, but not grossly so and like the PM9 is 9mm Luger.

The manual of arms is fine for me, I find myself swiping my thumb absentmindedly when drawing and firing my Glocks and my thumb positions are the same place they ever were, which is up. I could see how the manual of arms could present issues for someone who had only shot Glocks or Kahrs and wanted to transition to the Kimber Micros. Safeties are always a mixed bag in my book, but for a cocked SA, is not negotiable.

timmay likes this.
  18. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

My G42 is my largest pocket carry pistol, but it works in my cargo shorts and in a pocket holster that goes all the way up to the rear sight. Trigger must be covered.
    I understand the rule about not carrying anything else in the gun's pocket, but I use my cellphone in the same pocket to mask the shape.

I have no problem drawing either the phone or the pistol, even while driving, and so far I haven't shot myself in the head trying to answer a call.

When I feel the G42 is too large or my pockets are too small, the LCP is the first alternative and sometimes a S&W 642 is second alternative, and I enjoy experimenting with other choices too.

19. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

I like the kahr PM9 and CM9 the best as a pocket pistol. they're both the size of a G42. The G43 and the shield are too large for a pocket pistol but of the two I like the fact that the shield holds more ammo with the standard mag.

I've also shot the two side by side and like the shield best. but I don't like how the shield field strips. I also prefer the Kimber micro9 to the micro 380 because of caliber but I don't like any cocked and locked pistol for pocket carry.

Another gun I like for pocket carry is an older Smith and Wesson airweight humpback with a shrouded hammer. The newer airweight hammerless "Centennials" are also good. But the problem with the little J frames (other than ammo capacity) is when you put bigger grips on them to help deal with the recoil they aren't pocket pistols anymore. Mine has the skinny factory grips with a Tyler t-grip adaptor, and my carry ammo is the underwood 150 grain full wadcutter ammo.

20. TeaDub

TeaDub

I have several choices for pocket carry. A handful, really. Some more versatile than others. My 43 or my Airweight J-frames are quite handy, with decent power in the front pocket of cargo shorts. When it comes to carrying in "any" pocket, nothing comes close to my LCP or my CW380. I'm actually a bit more accurate with my Kahr. Both have been 100% reliable and accurate enough in their role*. For my needs, the 380s only advantage is in the micro sized pistols. Having the ability to throw a reliable gun in a gym shorts pocket without having "belt up" is a wonderful thing.

I don't carry the smallest ones often. I carry them when I don't believe that I need any gun.

*- a reliable pocket pistol doesn't need to fire 1000 rounds between cleaning. If it fires 75-100 rounds.... every time.... it is good to go. Accuracy is acceptable if it can put a full magazine on a playing card at 5-6 yards in under a handful of seconds.

My .02