close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PM9 Range Report with GirlWithGlock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WolverineG23, Jan 19, 2006.

1. WolverineG23

WolverineG23

Hey guys, most of you don't know but I'm GirlWithGlock's husband. Thought I would say hello.

We took the PM9 and G23 to the range last night and came across an interesting situation I thought I would pass along for some input here. When I went to Walmart to pick up the standard WWB ammo, they were out so I was left with Remington UMC 115gr JHP in the 100 round value box. We have never shot these before so I had no idea what to expect.

First she loaded up the 6 round mag and fired through it with 1 FTB. When she put the 7 round mag in to follow up, the first round was nose-diving into the feed ramp and not allowing the slide to rack. We removed the mag, reset the round and tried again with the same result. Eventually we got the first round to feed and she fired through the 7 round mag with 1 FTB. This trend continued, not being able to rack the slide with the first round out of the 7 round mag, and a few times with the 6 round mag as well.

We switched over to the Federal HSTs and the feed problem seemed to go away. Has anyone else had trouble with the PM9 feeding the Remington UMC 115gr JHPs?

As a side note, the G23 flew through 250 rounds of Federal factory seconds and about 25 rounds of Federal HSTs without a single problem.

2. Jercdevil

Jercdevil

Bought my PM9 W/NS and DLC in December. I have 500 rnds of assorted ammo thru it,but mostly Gold Dots 147grn. Yes to chamber the first round is very hard. You really have to let the slide fly. I have not had any malfunctions at all. I'm very happy with my PM9;f

[​IMG]

3. goblue

goblue

have not run UMC through my PM. May be a combination of the feed angle of the 1st round in the mag with the length of the bullet/case in the UMC. Too bad you didn't have any ball ammo to try out. If you are going to the range soon, I can give you a box of WWB or Blazer Brass to try out, plus let you try my mags to make sure it is not a mag issue. I think Kahr polished the feed ramp when you sent it in the second time, right?

How many rounds of HST?

Is she carrying the PM or the 23 most of the time?

4. skar

skar

Use the slide lock then the release latch.(no slingshot see manual)
    also polishing the feed ramp helps. keep well lubed.
    I sure you been told this before ? maybe not.

5. WolverineG23

WolverineG23

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input.

GoBlue- I was going to call and let you know we were heading to the range, but it was a very last minute decision! We still need to get together and shoot someday. I appreciate the offer of the mags to try out, I think this may have something to do with it. The angle of the first round with the Remington UMC didn't seem the same as the Federal HSTs. The HSTs seemed to snap into the proper angle and the UMCs did not, which leads me to believe it could be ammo choice related as well.

I think Kahr polished the feed ramp when you sent it in the second time, right? Yes they did.

How many rounds of HST? Probably about 26 or so.

Is she carrying the PM or the 23 most of the time? She carries the PM9 most of the time, and I get to carry the 23!!

Skar- Thanks for the tips! We did field strip and lube the PM9 before shooting it, so I know it was well lubed. We have always slingshoted instead of using the slide stop though. I have tried it both ways when having trouble and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

6. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Koch Addict

Thats the only type of ball ammo I have ever used. About 700rds or so. I have never had any issues using it.

7. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

Remington hollowpoints do the same thing in my pm9 sometimes. Some FMJ rounds do too. I now have about 1300 rounds through mine and it is getting better. I polished the feed ramp with Flitz and a q-tip and this helped also. The best feeding round I have found for my pm9 is the Hornady 124gr. XTP. The best feeding FMJ I have found is the Winchester 115. Both of these are not my favorite loads, but they feed the best. After talking to some fellow GT'ers, I think I have the wrong recoil spring. I have a new one on the way. I have read to change the spring after 1500 rounds anyway. I now know my extractor was not machined correctly from the factory. I now have to address this problem. Good luck!!!

8. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ

My PM9 has done the same when I load with 7. I load 1 down to 6 and don't have any problems. I think it's due to the angle of the feed ramp and the magazine under a full load. I've used both CCI Blazer and Gold Dot SB with the same result.

9. LittleFoot

LittleFoot

either you own a pool table, or minnesota fats nearly had a heart attack when you were setting up that photograph

10. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

11. WolverineG23

WolverineG23

UrbanCowboy - Have you tried the Remington UMC JHP ammo? Those are the rounds I had trouble with during this trip. I was planning to just get some cheap ball ammo but the store was out... all they had was the UMC JHP.

Yukon - Thanks for think, I may be approaching 1500 rounds and need a new recoil spring. I'll have to see how it measures up when I take it apart to clean it.

Sooner - I thought about loading each mag 1 down, but I don't really want to loose the capacity if I can fix the problem in another fashion.

12. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Koch Addict

Ahh... JHP, I missed that part. I guess that's what happens when I get on these forums while I should be working. I have never tried that before. Sorry for the iliteracy(sp?) on my part.

13. haole

haole

i had problems with feeding the first round during the break-in period (including the Rem JHPs from walmart). being more deliberate/aggressive when slapping in a new magazine and racking the slide seemed to remedy the problem. i'm sure it won't be as finicky the more rounds i put through it. how many rounds do you have through yours?

14. WolverineG23

WolverineG23

No problem UrbanCowboy! I know what you mean, I end up rereading some threads and find stuff I missed all the time.

Haole, I have about 1000-1500 rounds through it I believe.

I watched the angle of the first round as I slowly loaded a magazine on Sunday. The angle didn't change until the magazine was fully loaded and I heard the mag catch click in. Then there is still a little more room that you can push it in, as I did this something inside catches the top of the first round and pushed it down, changing the angle of the round and causing it to nose-dive into the feed ramp. I'm not sure what the part is called that is catching, but maybe I can get a picture to show you guys what I'm talking about.

15. Rick Melear

Rick Melear

My P9 will not reliably feed UMC ball ammo.It's the only ammo that I have trouble with. If you compare it to WWB it's a little shorter. I dont have a micrometer so I dont just how much shorter but it's very obvious if you put them side by side.