Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a leaking connection where my sewer main connects to another piece of my sewer main which angles off to the city sewer main.Plumber has to go 4' to 6' to fix it and may have to jump over the other side of the sidewalk and fix that piece also.Quoted me $800-$1200...No higher then that he said.Sounded good to me but what do I know?I truck for a living.
Any plumbers here agree that's a good price?One national chain said $1800-$2500...lol

Thanks for any help!

·
NRA Member
3,238 Posts
That sounds about right if there is a sidewalk to contend with and if they replace all the pipe between the edge of your house and the main at the edge of your property. You could do it yourself to save money but I would advise not to unless you enjoy a lot of hard work digging.

If you have cast iron pipes and your home is over 30 years old you may need more replaced than you think. If you haven't had a complete sewer leak check perfomed now is the time to do it.

Also, your home insurance may pay for this because a leaking sewer is a health risk etc. USAA ended up replacing 100 percent of our sewer pipes. A company named Sandtech which is an under foundation plumbing company dug 3 foot by 4 foot tunnels to the center of our foundation and replaced everything under the slab. My home was built in 1970 and the cast iron had corroded. The leak test showed six different leaks. After the plumbing work was done they packed the tunnels with foundation sand and then with high pressure slurry that hardened like concrete. So, check with your insurance.

sdsnet

·
Banned
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds about right if there is a sidewalk to contend with and if they replace all the pipe between the edge of your house and the main at the edge of your property. You could do it yourself to save money but I would advise not to unless you enjoy a lot of hard work digging.

If you have cast iron pipes and your home is over 30 years old you may need more replaced than you think. If you haven't had a complete sewer leak check perfomed now is the time to do it.

Also, your home insurance may pay for this because a leaking sewer is a health risk etc. USAA ended up replacing 100 percent of our sewer pipes. A company named Sandtech which is an under foundation plumbing company dug 3 foot by 4 foot tunnels to the center of our foundation and replaced everything under the slab. My home was built in 1970 and the cast iron had corroded. The leak test showed six different leaks. After the plumbing work was done they packed the tunnels with foundation sand and then with high pressure slurry that hardened like concrete. So, check with your insurance.

sdsnet
Thanks!

And no I don't feel like working that hard...lol

I have a torn rotator cuff and really messed up back.
Thanks for the heads up on the insurance,I will check into that tomorrow!

BTW no clay pipe all PVC.

·
Banned
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I need a few more people with knowledge in plumbing to tell me that is a good quote...:rofl:

Come on...make me feel better about spending my gun fund on this repair!

·
Big Member
2,188 Posts
....A company named Sandtech which is an under foundation plumbing company dug 3 foot by 4 foot tunnels to the center of our foundation and replaced everything under the slab.

sdsnet
Sdsnet, that's some impressive work. How did they dig those tunnels, with only hand shovels? And, how far did they go under the slab? What was the total $ ?

I can't imagine doing that here, we live in the Rocky Mountains....

Peace Frog, there are some plumbers that are worth their salt. Screw the national chain.

·
Registered
16,919 Posts
I had similar work done ten years ago and paid more then you were quoted. I was living over seas and renting the house out at the time so my management agent picked the plumber.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Good price! I paid around $8K for a complete new lateral from house into road and no homeowners doesn't pay for it!

·
Registered
31,725 Posts
I'd be VERY surprised if homeowner's insurance would pick up the tab for this, until you have a specific rider for it.

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
I have a leaking connection where my sewer main connects to another piece of my sewer main which angles off to the city sewer main.Plumber has to go 4' to 6' to fix it and may have to jump over the other side of the sidewalk and fix that piece also.Quoted me $800-$1200...No higher then that he said.Sounded good to me but what do I know?I truck for a living.
Any plumbers here agree that's a good price?One national chain said $1800-$2500...lol

Thanks for any help!
That's extremely cheap.... Guy must be desperate for work.

Make sure he pulls permits/gets work inspected... If he has to "jump on the other side of the sidewalk" (assuming this is a city sidewalk) he will almost definitely need a ride-away permit. DO NOT LET HIM DO THIS W/O A PERMIT! If he feeds you some crap about he does it all the time, the permits cost $300, etc.. Tell him to pound sand. Cuz if the city pulls up and pulls him off the job.. guess who's left w/ a hole in their yard till the city decides they will let someone fix it? Very rare circumstances you do not need a permit to do a job like this, and it doesn't sound like you're going to meet them. Obviously, I'm in Indpls... not wherever you live... but if he tells you he doesn't need a permit... Call the city and ask them.

Also.. make sure he has your other utilities located. One of the things these "Fly By's" love to do... is not mark utilities, then they hit them, and charge you to fix them. Most local utilities have a "contract" with a utility locator for this sort of thing. Here the company is called SMP.. They are national, so they may well be in your area also.

Personally, I have an issue w/ people who quote work that cheap.. You can't pay someone to do that kind of work, that cheap, and them do it right.. The 1800-2500 is really more in line w/ what this should cost.

Hope that helps, but I am very leery of a bid that cheap.

IGF

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
I'd be VERY surprised if homeowner's insurance would pick up the tab for this, until you have a specific rider for it.
Usually not.... I can't speak for every locality, insurance company, etc.. but all the ones I've dealt with, do not.

"Sudden and Unforeseen" are key words in an insurance policy.. and this type of problem is rarely either....

IGF

·
Banned
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's extremely cheap.... Guy must be desperate for work.

Make sure he pulls permits/gets work inspected... If he has to "jump on the other side of the sidewalk" (assuming this is a city sidewalk) he will almost definitely need a ride-away permit. DO NOT LET HIM DO THIS W/O A PERMIT! If he feeds you some crap about he does it all the time, the permits cost $300, etc.. Tell him to pound sand. Cuz if the city pulls up and pulls him off the job.. guess who's left w/ a hole in their yard till the city decides they will let someone fix it? Very rare circumstances you do not need a permit to do a job like this, and it doesn't sound like you're going to meet them. Obviously, I'm in Indpls... not wherever you live... but if he tells you he doesn't need a permit... Call the city and ask them.

Also.. make sure he has your other utilities located. One of the things these "Fly By's" love to do... is not mark utilities, then they hit them, and charge you to fix them. Most local utilities have a "contract" with a utility locator for this sort of thing. Here the company is called SMP.. They are national, so they may well be in your area also.

Personally, I have an issue w/ people who quote work that cheap.. You can't pay someone to do that kind of work, that cheap, and them do it right.. The 1800-2500 is really more in line w/ what this should cost.

Hope that helps, but I am very leery of a bid that cheap.

IGF
City makes everybody get a permit for anything you do in your yard...lol
He told me would be getting the permit this morning and he has to have it posted in view of street so we are good there.Also before you can dig in Texas the state sends out somebody to mark all lines so you don't hit anything,in fact they just left here 15 minutes ago.I checked his references and all are good and he's been in business here since 1971.
Thanks for all the good info!

·
General Flunky
2,903 Posts
Its a reasonable bid. I paid 800 for a new line from my house to the sidewalk. Distance was about 40ft.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I paid about $1800 to have a similiar repair done. They also ran a gizmo through the pipes from house to sewer with a little camera on it to make sure everything else was OK.
Sorry about your luck. I was bummed to have to pay that also. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
27,987 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me. I've been around this stuff for a while.
Maybe in Texas that's a competitive rate, here.. There's no way. Permit is $125, that's just to dig on the property owners property. If you have to go into the rideaway, another $125. Pipe, fittings, Stone to bed the pipe, backhoe, fuel, and then paying the guys to do it....

I don't see how 8-1200 is even remotely possible.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had to pay the city $1000 for a permit to tear up theblacktop road! What a money maker for the city!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts