close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Plum Island

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Grayhawk, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Grayhawk

Grayhawk

My wife picked up my paperback of Demille's Plum Island yesterday. She usually reads a couple of books a week. She was reading it this morning when I left home and she was almost done. I think she is addicted.
    Grayhawk

2. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

That's a fun series. I think The Lyons Game was the best.

3. Spyder Teeth

Spyder Teeth Southern Gent

Plum Island was my least favorite of the three "Corey" novels. Night Fall was unquestionably the best. DeMille wrote his next novel (due sometime this fall) and had so many requests to bring Corey back that he re-wrote the novel to accomodate the fan base. Whomever the main character was, he's now John Corey.

Speaking of Nelson DeMille, I've been casually reading The General's Daughter in my spare time. About halfway through the novel now. I don't care much for Paul Brenner over John Corey. No wonder the fans want Corey back. :)

4. Grayhawk

Grayhawk

I liked Plum Island but Up Country was my favorite. Nightfall was a great book too, and it opened some possibilities. I am reading Rivers of Babylon at present, but it seems to drag on a little.
    Grayhawk

5. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Really? I couldent stand Up Country.....the whole book to me seemed like an excuse for the author to take a long vacation in Vietnam and deduct it as a business expense.

6. Checkman

Checkman

I liked his early works. Cathedral, The Charm School,Word of Honor, Rivers of Babylon,The Gold Coast, but I've found most of his stuff from the past fourteen years to be unsatisfying.I found that as I got older I disliked how DeMille writes his main characters so that they are sarcastic a*******. Guess I don't find sarcasm as funny as I used to. I haven't read any of the older novels in many years so I might be dissapointed. That isn't unusual. People and their tastes change over the years.

7. Txnowtn

Txnowtn

I'm surprised about the reader who didn't like Up Country. I loved it. Having graduated high school in 1977, I missed Viet Nam by just a few years and have always been interested in that war and that country. I think there is a market for more books about how that war still affects people here and over there.

8. nfm

nfm

I thoroughly enjoyed "Up Country". The arguments with the Vietnamese army personnel.

9. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Maybe its a generational thing.... I'm 10 or so years younger than you and its seems one of the inescapible drum beats my generation has lived with is the baby-boomers public celebration of the tramas and triumphs of their life. Vietnam was definately an interesting time but its had more than its share of exposure imho.