close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please tell me what I did wrong

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by XDRoX, Feb 28, 2010.

1. XDRoX

XDRoX

Well I just back from testing out my new Chrony F1. I have only been reloading for a few weeks and decided to buy one to see how fast my rounds were going. Boy am I glad I did.
    9mm 115 gr TMJ RN (Berrys)
    1.135" OAL
    5.3 gr of Unique

Here is what my Chrony read

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this way too fast. It's certainly faster than my manual.

I then tried Winchester white box to see if the Chrony was working:

Then I tried the 45 I loaded.
    230 gr TMJ RN (Berrys)
    1.260" OAL
    5.7 gr of Unique

I doubt this is even safe:crying:

So I packed up my stuff and came home.

I'm using all brand new equipment including a RCBS 5-0-5 scale.
    I check every 5th round and it measures perfect.

I just don't get:dunno:

2. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

You're probably too close. Muzzle blast will really screw with your numbers and I know that the two chrony brand chrono's I've had would read wildyly high or low due to blast. The WinUSA stuff probably had less blast and read correctly.

10-15 feet aint gonna cut it evry time with a chrony. Other brands might be less sensative. Next time that happens, drop back to 30 feet and see if the same load is reading goofy. If the numbers drop right in line, then it was the blast.

ETA: The numbers on your WinUSA look off too. The extreme spread should not be that much, more like half that much.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010

3. XDRoX

XDRoX

Thanks for the info. I was probably 8 feet away from the Chrony. I thought that's what the instructions said.
    Is that too close?

4. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

If your 230 grains were going 1529 you'd be picking pieces of metal out of your teeth right now.

As much as I hate to admit it... damn this kills me... Wisky is probably right... your chrono was too close.

Of course you might have had a guy named Scotty standing behind you whispering WARP SPEED, WARP SPEED.

The chrono distance is probably a better bet though.

Jack

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

HAHAHA!!!! The matter/anti-matter reactors are completely fused!! I'm right and Jack was wrong!! This time I get the green girl in the loin cloth!!

Yeah 8' is too close. You get a red star on your paper for following directions, but it's too close. It would probably work for a 22LR at that distance since there is very little blast from that. If you can do it on your range, start out at 20 feet and fire a few rounds and look at the readings, then walk in closer and fire off a couple of rounds untill your 5' away and see what kind of numbers you get.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:rofl:

With the Plated bullets, can't the plating start coming off inside the barrel if velocity is over 12-13ish? Are you noticing any major plating/lead fouling in your barrel?

I tend to agree w/ Jack and Whisky.... to close to the chrony. If you're not to close, you should go to work for DoubleTap or Buffalo Bore... :)

IGF

7. XDRoX

XDRoX

20 feet :wow:
    How good of a shot do you think I am?:supergrin:

How will I know when the distance away from the Chrony is right? Will it just start to get better readings and stay within that range.

Also, I'm doing this outdoors in the mountains, so I can try whatever distances.

8. steve4102

steve4102

Also make sure you have it opened up all the way.

9. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Here's one for Jack:

"It must be mounted on a tripod!"

Name the movie Jack.

Mount it on a tripod and tap a paper plate to the back for a target. Use a flair pen (remember those Jack?) to make a bullseye on the plate right in the sweet spot of the reading area. Use a 22LR if you have one since it is cheap and easy to shoot while you get the hang of using the chrono.

You'll know if the chrono is right when your numbers are consitent. Using near max loads of Unique in 9mm should give you extreme spreads somehwere around 50fps and a standard deviation around 15. These are generalizations.

If you don't use a tripod and a targte behind it, you will find out what happened to my first chrony. Your eye will eventually fixate on the chrony itself and you will put a bullet right where you are looking.

10. XDRoX

XDRoX

Thanks for the help.
    I just looked at my data.
    At one point I shot a 5 round group that read:

I assumed this group read differently because I loaded it with a different recipe.
    6.0 gr powder, 1.150" OAL, 115 gr RN

But maybe I just happened to be standing a little further back.
    So another few feet is probably all I need to move back.

11. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Three possibilities off the top of my head but I imagine there are more.

1) The Shooter with Mark Wahlberg, when the FBI agent is taking measurements in the bell tower.

2) The Last Action Hero with Arnold, 'I'll be back', terminator.

3) The Wild Bunch with everybody who was anybody.

What'da ya think you're dealin' with a rookie here? :whistling:

Jack

12. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

It would be awesome if you could get a .45 230 grainer to 1529 fps safely.

13. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

It took you three tries but you got it. Remember the German military advisor exclaiming to the drunken Mexican general as he was spraying his own troops and civilians with the water cooled MG.

14. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

My first time or two out with my chrono, I was also pretty close (10 feet or so?) per the instructions. And I questioned my velocities.

Was given advice here to do the "20 feet away" thing, and that's definitely right on. I also shoot 9mm, and took some WWB out to verify I was getting reasonable figures. I've loaded with both Solo-1000, which doesn't have lots of load data, but also TiteGroup which does. The numbers I got with the TG were dead on, and so I presume my S-1000 load (which shoots MUCH softer) is also accurate.

So now I set up the crono, and take 7-8 steps away (which is actually closer to 24 feet), and I'm good to go.

15. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

It didn't take me three tries to get it right... you just made the incorrect assumption that I listed them from most probable to least probable.

That my good sir might be the forte of a lesser man but as I queried you earlier... what'da ya think you're dealin' with... a rookie? :supergrin:

Oh, btw... the German character was Commander Fredrick Mohr. (Just thought I'd throw that in). :poke:

Jack

16. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

And you would be Sykes?

17. njl

njl Crusty Member

IIRC, the Shooting Chrony instructions actually say to use a .22lr to verify your setup is working before wasting "real rounds" only to find out you have a problem. Some days, you don't need the screens. Some you do.

18. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

A couple of things I also have found. Always use the diffusers. They never hurt and more often than not, help. Don't use the metal rods to support the diffusers. They are made of a special alloy that will draw the bullets to them. When they get hit, they transmit enough energy to the main unit to **** it up and break stuff. I use Bamboo grilling skewers. I haven't hit one yet, but if I do, it will just break.

19. njl

njl Crusty Member

I've been meaning to get some wood rods to replace the lead attractors. Fortunately, I haven't hit mine yet.

Those with Shooting Chrony's, do you use all the rods and 3-piece diffusers, or half the rods and 2-piece diffusers? I've been doing the latter, as it's simpler to setup...but it does give you a smaller needle to thread.