Please share your experience with Taurus quality.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by J_Rico, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Shot a Taurus that did not belong to me. Worked okay.

6 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. Shot a Taurus that did not belong to me. Junk.

6 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Bought one Taurus. It works fine.

27 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. Bought one Taurus. Piece of junk. Never again.

15 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. Bought a few Taurus handguns. all have been fine.

43 vote(s)
    33.9%
  6. Bought a few Taurus handguns. One was junk.

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  7. Bought a few Taurus handguns. Many were junk.

11 vote(s)
    8.7%
  8. Heard so many horror stories I will never buy a Taurus.

9 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

This topic has literally been beaten to Death...bottom line; In my opinion, there are better choices out there other than Taurus and many for only a few dollars more, but as the late, great Patrick Swayze said " opinion vary"

K. Foster and Doc Holliday like this.
  2. Mahalo_.357sig

Mahalo_.357sig #787 Top Gun .357sig

They all play well together
    20190108_194436.jpg

Terry G and J_Rico like this.

3. ARFFormula

ARFFormula

I had a Raging Bull .44 magnum that shot very well, had no problems out of it, sold it and I kinda wish I still had it

2nd Taurus was a Millennium Pro 9mm, just did not like it, a few jams, bad ergos, hard to find a good holster for it, also just felt cheap...sold it

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

My first revolver was a Taurus 66 .357mag, I ended up doing a spring kit on it and the trigger was great. I shot that gun quite a bit and was always happy with it...but being young, I sold for something I dont remember.
    Next was a model 85ch and a pt58 in the same time frame, both never presented issues and the 85 got me into snubby revolvers. I let both go and ended up with a pt92c and 85tt ( total titanium). I liked the titanium snubby a lot and shot it frequently with the win +p+ 147gr load, which chronod high 900fps range in that short ported barrel. The little gun stayed tight in lockup, but the ball detent had worn down a bit and it required sending to Taurus, so I let it go. The 92c I never shot much, didnt care for the girth at the time and heavy trigger.
    Owned a 431 .44sp for a while, kinda wish I had kept it, I considered it better than the Rossi 720- better sights and consistently faster over the chrono.
    Bought a 'judge' - called 45-10 or similar at the time. Good accuracy with .45colt ammo, didnt care for the .410 thing at all and reasoned it was just a goofy looking gun...worked fine though.
    The model 94 snubby continues to serve as my snubby understudy and gets lots of use. I have an S&W 22/32 kit gun as well which has a superior trigger, but the 94 has equal accuracy, slightly better sights and chronod better consistently, so it gets the workload mostly to preserve the little smith.
    My most recent Taurus is the 'no view', which is an abbreviated 85 snubby with 1.41" barrel, alum frame and ti cylinder. Its tiny and weighs under 10oz, holds 5 .38sp rounds. I bring it frequently on bike rides, and while harder to shoot, its superior in power and accuracy (past 50ft) than my small .380 and weighs less.
    Also, the quality on it is first rate and easily comparable to my S&W or Ruger revolvers. They were offered with see thru sideplates and I suspect extra attention was paid to clean internals.
    Overall, I'm pretty happy with the Taurus guns. Yes, I have sifted thru crappy ones brand new on the shelf to select the guns I have now, but I do the same with Ruger, S&W and any other brand as well and encounter crap there too.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  5. brutusbeefcake

brutusbeefcake

I have a 85 and a 605 I bought in the early 2000's for camp/beater guns. They have been 100 percent to this day. The 605 has had the hardest use between the 2.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  6. G21FAN

G21FAN Loser Millennium Member

I have a 1990 PT-92, north of 10K rnds from FMJ up to Ranger 127+P+. 100% and keep springs and locking blocks fresh.

Model 66 blue (S&W M19 copy) with high round count of Winchester 145 grn Silvertips and Federal 125 grain Magnums. Still in time, accurate and good DA trigger.

Used both moonlighting as armed guard while a rookie. (and young and dumb enough to thing Magnums were fun shooting... LOL)

Gray_Rider likes this.
  7. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Pretty much the same for me.
    Had their copy of the Beretta 92 years ago and it was okay.
    Have a copy of the Smith .22 K-frame revolver and it misfires regularly. It's sat in my closet for years. I know they have a lifetime warranty. I need to send it in someday ...

8. legalsten

legalsten

My first repair with Taurus was a rifle and it went PERFECT . Pump 22 rifle , mailed from post office , a week or 2 later Fed Ex brings it back , no charge .

Not happy at all with second repair request . This was on a PT 22 pistol and there are tons of people having the problem with a broken firing pin. First call and they are going to at least sell me a firing pin but I needed the serial number . I was just calling to see about price and the gun was not with me . I go and get the serial number and call back and now I must send the gun in for repairs !!!!!

After a long and loud conversation where I said could I just send the slide so I don't have to pay about 80.00 for Fed Ex or UPS to ship it , ( that is what it cost me last time ) , They said I would have to send the whole gun. But the one I talked to earlier was going to sell me just the firing pin , got me nowhere . I informed them I had bought my last Taurus .

I bought a replacement stainless steel firing pin on Ebay , fixed it and sold it and my 709 slim ( replaced it with a 43 ) and do not plan on ever owning another Taurus .

The Mrs has a 605 Taurus 357 but she wanted to keep it and it is up to her on that .

9. Johnnyvegas

Johnnyvegas

PT 99, gifted in 1985 by my parents, 2010 the rear sight broke. No big deal, 25 years, and probably 3000 rounds seems like a pretty good run. Over the course of the next month I called dozens of times, and never spoke to a human (just wanted to purchase a new rear sight). I got a good gun I believe, but the people that run Taurus USA made it my only Taurus. Got the gun running again with a parts kit purchased on Gunbroker.com.

10. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

I have to admit, my experience with Taurus guns are limited to their revolvers prior to acquiring the G2C. I am really happy with my G2C.
    I guess, they made some really junky stuff's to earn so much bad press.

Bottom line, be very picky if you want to add a Taurus to your collection. Any of their autoloaders prior to the G2C, except, maybe the PT 92's, are junks. But the new Taurus is here and deserves a second look, IMO.

Gray_Rider and Mahalo_.357sig like this.
  11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I have two Tracker revolvers, a titanium .41mag and a steel in .44mag. Except for the sharp corners of the rear sights (which I radiused with a Dremmel,) they've been flawless for well over twelve or so years. I especially appreciate the extreme light weight of the titanium .41 for hiking / hunting in griz country. HH

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Well, let's put it this way.

I have 7-8 Taurus pistols, and several long guns. Have had them for a number of years.

The number of problems I've had with the Taurus guns numbers Zero.

(I can't say the same about the 8-9 Glocks I have/had. EVERY Glock I have/had has had one problem or another)

Taurus 410 .JPG

Taurus.JPG

For no special reason, except that I like and trust the gun, a Streamlight TLR-2 laser/light equipped Taurus PT 101 AF .40 cal, with a 357 SIG barrel, is the most important "defense gun around the place....the nightstand pistol.

Taurus 101 357 SIG.jpg

13. Guss

Guss

Last year I picked up a little 856 stainless revolver - my first Taurus. I had heard the horror stories but figured there wasn't much to go wrong with a revolver. It fired a reasonable group at short range and seemed tight. My only gripe at first was that the milling on the frame left a lot of sharp corners, but what can you expect from a cheap gun.

In about a month, though, the firing pin cracked. Was it cheap metal? Did they neglect to heat-treat it? Taurus responded to my email in a couple of days, saying they would send a replacement firing pin. That was about three months ago and still no firing pin. It must be on a slow boat from Brazil. Can't they just take a production gun from the warehouse and use it for a parts gun? They may have built an American subsidiary, but they don't yet have an American ethic.

14. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I've shot 3 Taurus revolvers owned by other people and all had issues.

First was an older model (made in the '80s?) that would shave some lead at the forcing cone.

Second was a snub nose that sometimes locked up after firing. I had a theory the timing (is that the right word?) was off and it built up pressure that caused the primer to bulge.

Third would sometimes drop the hammer and nothing would happen (another timing issue?)

Last two were both bought new after 2004.

15. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Sheepdog

Years ago I bought a Taurus 709 Slim for a backup gun on duty. I wore it under my zippered shirt velcro'd to my vest carrier.

That little single stack 9mm ran like a Rolls Royce engine. Cast bullet reloads that I had reloaded using whatever pistol powder I had in the hopper, cheap WWB 115s, 147-gr training ammo, Federal 147 HSTs for carry, 124-gr Gold Dots...

Nothing I could stuff into the magazine ever failed to work all the time. It shot so reliably and accurately on my police quals every year that my police chief bought it off of me.

It was the only Taurus I ever owned, but today I would get a Taurus "Beretta 92" copy or a revolver without hesitation.

16. Peak Fudd

Peak Fudd Amateur geezer

I have documented my experience with ONE 856 UL on this forum. To summarize; it works, I like it, and will continue to give periodic updates as appropriate.

I generally am a fan of Smith and Wesson, but the 856 I bought was put together better than the 442 in the case next to it. So, I decided to give a Taurus a try for the first time in my life. So far, so good.

17. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

Model 85 .38 Special: Cylinder locked up after 2 rounds fired. After significant effort, it was able to be opened, and emptied. Assumed to have been a fluke. Reloaded with different ammo, and it locked up again. Garbage gun.

Model 431 .44 Special: Old gun with beautiful bluing and nice wood grips. 4 inch barrel. Worked like it should, with a decent trigger.

Stainless Judge: Early model. Rough machining work, cheap overall feel. Never bothered to fire it before trading it away.

PT-145 .45 ACP: Great size and capacity, poor design apparently. Pistol fired reliably for a couple hundred rounds before the frame cracked at the rear. Never fired a high pressure round through it, yet it still cracked after only a few magazines had been through it. Garbage gun.

With 50 percent of the Taurus guns I have owned experiencing massive failure shortly after purchase, I will never waste another dime on their wares. I have owned dozens of pistols from Glock, SIG, Beretta, Smith & Wesson, Heckler & Koch, Colt, Dan Wesson, and Springfield Armory, yet I have NEVER gotten a lemon except for those Taurus guns. Never again.

18. rogn

rogn real dogs

Only owned one a model 66 SS 357M. Cylinder mouths were grossly oversized, but it would shoot a very specialized handload extremely well. Factory loads were good close range SD loads with dispersion similar to smooth bore shotgun loads. Other wise trigger and all other functions were exemplary. Buy another one-I dont think so.

19. CajunBass

CajunBass

I've owned several Taurus revolvers over the years. They were all made during the time between the late 70's to the mid 90's. All but one were purchased new, and were inspected just as I'd inspect any other revolver. I never saw a quality issue with any of them. They worked, hit where I shot no worse than any other gun I miss with, and were very nicely finished.

I looked at an old Model 66 from that time period just yesterday. The finish was a little rough from use, but mechanically it was fine. was sorely tempted, but I just can't justify another 4" 357 right now.

One thing I really like from the Taurus guns of that time period was their wooden grips. No idea what kind of wood it was, but their rounded target grips are still the most comfortable grips for my hand I've ever used.

20. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

9ECE4DD7-790F-482C-BFFC-DAEB53925C0A.jpeg I have owned a PT99 since I purchased it new in the early ‘90s. Excellent pistol! Other than having to replace springs somewhere between 5-10,000 rnds it is accurate and reliable. I’ve shot mostly standard rounds through it but plenty of +p and +p+ too. I think it’s a better pistol than the Beretta 92 it evolved from.

After reading about issues over the years my conclusion is that certain Taurus models may be more prone to problems than others and over the years QC and CS have been widely variable.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    CBennett likes this.