Please share your experience with Taurus quality.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by J_Rico, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Shot a Taurus that did not belong to me. Worked okay.

6 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. Shot a Taurus that did not belong to me. Junk.

6 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Bought one Taurus. It works fine.

27 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. Bought one Taurus. Piece of junk. Never again.

15 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. Bought a few Taurus handguns. all have been fine.

43 vote(s)
    33.9%
  6. Bought a few Taurus handguns. One was junk.

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  7. Bought a few Taurus handguns. Many were junk.

11 vote(s)
    8.7%
  8. Heard so many horror stories I will never buy a Taurus.

9 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Well - in all fairness the new Python has a similar problem......:rofl:

Longbow, KennyFSU and J_Rico like this.
  2. PBCounty

PBCounty

I wrap one in a little hand towel and put it on my cocktail table next to the tub. If I was cooler I'd Die Hard it with the tape on the back method.

SC Tiger likes this.

3. napp32

napp32

Got a Model 85 Ultra Lite as part of a trade. Took it to the range only once...it worked fine. Like most snubbies, I couldn't shoot it very well. I traded it away.

Bought a G2c on a whim. Fell in love with it the first time I took it to the range. I have fired multiple types of ammo with it without a hiccup. I bought a green laser and a holster for it; and it replaced the SIG 938 as my EDC.

I now have two more in my cars. All have been tested and performed well with various types of ammo. IMO, there is not a better value available right now.

4. papershoot

papershoot

I believe they were not "tactical" enough. Being imported, they could not compete with the features offered on a carbine made in the US. The negatives would be the 10 round proprietary magazine, the magazines did not fit any pistol, lack of threaded barrel for suppressor, lack of collapsible/folding stock and quick release for magazine. The stock looks like a copy of the H&K USC and strikes me as odd.
    I believe they were already discontinued when I paid $400 at my LGS. They had sold in the 700's and listed at ~$900. Mine has fired several hundred rounds. It seems to be a robust design.

Taurus CT
    [​IMG]

Heckler & Koch USC
    [​IMG]

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/11/22/taurus-smgs-carbines-famae-heritage/

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  5. J_Rico

J_Rico

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

deputy tom likes this.
  6. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

I have one Taurus and experience with one Taurus.
    It is a Pro 140. A 10-15 year old generation, or I've had it in that time span. It just works. First time, last time, every time. Nice almost singe stack grip and mag configuration that carries 10+1.
    My two gripes, and they are minor.
    1) If you have a brain motherfunction and put the safety on while the trigger is depressed in the slightest, the safety looks "On" But isn't. Handle it like a grown up.
    2) It shoots 5 inches low at 7 yards. This is in no way a problem, because I know about it, and for a vertical target, the second or third round will rise to where you thought you were aiming in the first place. I call it more and observation than a problem, but some may disagree.

7. Terry G

Terry G

I must have all the luck, but then again these Taurus gun's were bought prior to 1990. PT92,99, 94,96, PT22,66. Never had to send one back. The 66 has a lot of use with .357. and .38 Special, as does the 92 with 9MM Silvertips. I have countless amount of .22's through the revolver's. I never messed with their later 9MM's or revolvers. Even the lttle PT22 was reliable, though a joke for self defense. The latest was, of course, the TX22. I had a problem with the magazines. A call to Taurus, a shipping label, and I was back shooting 10 day's later. Keep the G44. I bought a second TX22. You can tell from the photo it's and old picture of my early Taurus gun's. You do hear horror stories. I heard one individual state the dumbest thing, he said "I would rather be dead than own a Taurus." Besides the utter stupidity of that, when pressed he admitted he never owned B Taurus.jpg IMG_3703.JPG , shot, or even held a Taurus product.

slamdunc likes this.
  8. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Yet the Sig 320? The one that fired when dropped seems to be a fan favorite of many here, along with the C39. I've seen 3 C39's come unmade. Fortunately nothing more than frazzled nerves and a few scratches and a bruise or two. It could have been much worse. All three were fairly new, under 5000 rounds, and seemingly well maintained from the looks of the parts laying around.
    Any mechanical device can break. It shouldn't by the time it reaches consumer status, but it happens.

9. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

I’ve heard similar statements and if the person saying things like this has actually experienced defective products, I have to respect their opinion.

I have also had good luck with Taurus firearms but I have no idea how great or crappy their customer service department is because I have never had to use it.

LostinTexas likes this.
  10. badge315

badge315

I have owned a total of 7 Taurus firearms; 6 handguns and 1 rifle. Of those 7 firearms, 3 proved to be lemons, and 2 (including the rifle) had to replaced outright. The ones that worked, worked great. But such a hit-or-miss track record of QC has left me uninterested in acquiring any other Taurus guns.

11. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

My brother pocket carry a Taurus snubnose revolver. He fired it when he purchased it new. Pocket carry for a year before he shot it again. Now it has serious timing issue.

12. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

One of the Armed Security Guards I work with swears by his Taurus 9mm but he never shoots it.

[​IMG]

As a retire policeman I thought cops were generally bad shooters until I worked Security. Of course I see lots of bad shooters on public shooting ranges.

13. chev1958

chev1958

I bought a 709 Slim when it first came out. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it; even a reputable gunsmith couldn't make it shoot straight. I traded it.

When my wife became interested in owning her own pistol, she chose the Taurus G2, and that one shoots well. No complaints. We both like it.

14. Sfaql

Sfaql

Own one, a mod 85 , . 38 snub, had It at least 25 years .

Zero issues , put on some bigger rubber grips and gave it to our youngest daughter , that’s how much I trust it .

Will she “ upgrade” at some point , perhaps, but now she works a ton of hours including out of town, this gun is simple and reliable, two ,pluses for someone that can’t get to the range much .

15. Z71bill

Z71bill

With so many other solid choices why would anyone buy a Taurus?

At their price point - I would rather have a used gun from someone else.

My BIL bought one jams every other mag.

16. imjustron

imjustron

I've had 5...a TCP, 709 slim, 740 slim, early PT111, and G2...all have run well through hundreds of rounds with some, thousands with others. The Slims required some site adjustment out of the box, but that was done easily.

17. Church Key

Church Key

Based on the above survey responses, the actual Taurus experience appears to result in a failure rate >40%. In my opinion, this is just pitiful for any manufacturer.

18. K. Foster

K. Foster

In the late ‘80's I bought a PT99 (Beretta clone). The pistol malfunctioned a couple times on the first 50 rounds but after that it was fine.
    At the time, it was my only 9mm pistol and tracking ammo consumption was easy. Over the next few years I put almost 10,000 rounds though it with hardly a hiccup. Accuracy and reliability were excellent. Good finish, no tooling marks. I compared it side by side with a Beretta 92. We even swapped barrels and both guns functioned 100%.
    Around 1991, I noticed the tip of the ejector was chipped away. The gun still functioned but it bothered me so I contacted Taurus. They offered to send me the part. I waited and waited. After two months I was ready to own something different and decided to sell the gun (with full disclosure). Two months after selling the Taurus I get an envelope in the mail with an ejector. No paperwork, just the part. 4 months to send one small part.
    Over the decades, I’ve shot numerous Taurus guns. They can make decent stuff, they just choose not to put any emphasis on QC. This gun works, that one doesn’t. You get what you pay for.

19. Mahalo_.357sig

Mahalo_.357sig #787 Top Gun .357sig

I was reluctant at first when I had a PT111 Millenium G2 traded to me. Being a Glock and M&P guy I shook it off and tossed it in my sock drawer. The following week I went to the range to see how it runs AND to my surprise it runs VERY WELL.......NO complaints at all I will get a G3 to have on hand. Great customer service