Please School Me On a Proper Lever Action Rifle

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by PattonWasRight, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I don't count that monstrosity as a lever-action rifle. If they'd put a blue finish and wood stock on that, they might be onto something.

If I was buying a Henry and money was no object, the only one I would want is:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    studawg170 likes this.
  2. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Yes, a good choice as well. However, for me it would be a blued version w/o the rail.

PhotoFeller likes this.

3. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

Well, you're not shooting dinosaurs are you?:animlol:

unnamed.jpg

4. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Well, I wasn't planning on it. Is this something I need to reconsider? :alex:

G26-Has-my-6 likes this.
  5. SargeMO

SargeMO

Avoiding a Rossi (now Taurus) 357 isn't stupid at all. I coaxed one through a bunch of feeding problems and learned way more about the innards of it than I ever wanted to know. In contrast, my 45 colt versions of that same carbine have been slick running & plenty accurate.

There are lots of other good 357 carbines available. I'm partial to Winchesters and if the 357 was my main-battery revolver cartridge, I'd have to try it in an 1873.

studawg170 and CanyonMan like this.
  6. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller A swamp dude

The JM marked Marlins can be found on gun store used gun racks and pawn shops, but finding the right one takes patience and determination. Searching for a JM can be a fun mission.

As Bren said, most used Marlins haven’t been shot much. That’s because most were bought for deer hunting.

Limiting the JM search to .357 will make the mission difficult. They’re out there, but they get purchased quickly and they’re among the most expensive of the used Marlins.

I highly recommend a straight stock Marlin in .30-30. Ammo is always available almost everywhere at a reasonable price. For fun (and serious) shooting, light-load ammunition is available.

Owning a JM Marlin is owning a piece of firearm history. They won’t be made by a new owner. That makes them special to me.

CanyonMan and byf43 like this.
  7. Berto

Berto woo woo

Pretty happy with the winchester.
    I understand the Marlins handle the .357mag better though. 20190925_150836.jpg 20190925_150808.jpg

CanyonMan, JBL13 and SargeMO like this.
  8. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

I agree 100%. No way does that thing qualify as a lever-action rifle.

It's a lever-action carbine.

:p ;)

That one's nice, too. My lever-action tastes are wide-ranging. :D

CanyonMan likes this.
  9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I would be happy with it too, but buying a Winchester in a handgun caliber is usually a big investment.

10. mrt949

mrt949

1894 CSBL 16.5 357 MAG STAINLESS It goes with My Ruger security six 4" stainless

11. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Thanks for education and input everyone

Forgive me thou, I just can't seem to shake the "resto-mod" appeal of the
    Henry Big Boy X Model

Maccabeus likes this.
  12. Bradley T

Bradley T

Friend of mine has a Rossi just like you mention. Go for it! Low cost, can shoot .38 Specials. A Winchester is a Winchester, but a low-cost Rossi will probably suffice. Have fun without breaking the bank!

13. 0311INF

0311INF

With .357 Mag specifically, options are not wide ranging. Especially within a limit of say $700.
    It's a hard hit on the wallet, but as far as new production, a Winchester 92 in .357 can't be beat.

14. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

The new Winchesters are probably some of the best Winchesters ever produced.

The new Henrys are good solid guns and Henry will make good on any problems or issues. Though having a problem with a Henry is pretty rare. Some people ate still spouting the "They are made with pot metal" BS. They are not. The .22s are made with some alloy but the centerfire rifles are made from steel or brass depending on the model. . .

I just picked up a new Henry 357 Steel Carbine. It has an incredible trigger on it. ZERO take-up, just ~4 lbs and bang. . .

Marlins are vastly improved in quality over the initial rem buyout days.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  15. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Browning has had many guns made by the same company in Japan.

People love them German SIGs

Glock. . a great American Austrian gun company.

16. Mcsorleyprobert

Mcsorleyprobert

Me too.
    A nice .45 or similar rifle.
    Looking at Henry rifles for this.

they have a nice Masonic one , but it’s in .22
    Don’t want a toy. Want a RIFLE, .44 mag, or .45

17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well friend, I have had "hands on," with the NEW marlins , "by Remington, and the are low quality. I have been on the phone with a friend at Remington, and all he shared with me about the "short cuts and crapola" they have done to the Marlins. Remington is not quality any longer either, in the past decade and longer actually. I have seen friends have to send back Marlins by remmy, scads of times, and I could not even get them to work. As I said, it is depressing, and a joke to have a Winchester with 'made in Japan' on the barrel.

No thanks. I've had way to much experience with all this. I'll stick with Winchesters, Marlins and Remingtons made before 2008! ;)

Henry's. Excellent quality, and very durable and accurate rifles. I won't own junk! Been shooting since I was 10, I am now 69. Been dealing with guns and building them, and competing with them and hunting and guiding with them for decades. I am saddened over the junk that Remington, Marlin -Remington, and Jap winchesters turn out since 2008/ or so. Just facts. Out here, we don't want anything but high quality, and made in America, but not rem-Marlins, nor Jap winchesters.

My friend at Remington set me straight on the low quality of of the remmy and rem marlins they are producing. FYI, Remington, threw away ALL the blueprints of the Marlin levers, and no longer build them to former Marlin standards, They are tremendously bad Quality.

I am NOT trying to insult folks, and those many here, that know me, know I do not ever do that. But if the truth and what I "know" offends sorry.... ;)

Be safe

CM
    :horse:

tuica likes this.
  18. arnold ziffle

arnold ziffle aka dingle

19. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

Def. check out the new Henrys with the side gate in 357.

As you pointed out, a side gate is a must. But ONLY a side gate means chewed up finger if you want to do high-volume plinking... and high volume is what a pistol caliber lever is best at. So you will be able to do more shootin' with less fiddlin' if you also have a tube mag on there.

Also, there are speedloaders for loading thru the gate. Does anyone know if those things really work?

20. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

Another cool thing about PCL's (pistol caliber levers for all you non-operators) is that they are much faster than semis, and even give full autos a run for their money, as the following video of a typical PCL shooter demonstrates:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG4wNhVaAfc

byf43 and PattonWasRight like this.