GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided I "need" one and don't really know much.

I'd like a "proper" pedigree, which I guess that rules out the Rossi's, unless that's stupid

Being able to load from a side gate rather than tube only seems like a big convenience

If you're a purist, don't gasp, but wanting to get it in 38/357 as I already inventory that round, and the right 357 shot from a rifle is over 1,000 ft pounds, so a legit game getter if needed

Thanks for your thoughts/advice

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a Rossi stainless steel mod 92 in 45 Colt. I had one in 357 mag. The Rossi is a close copy of the Winchester 92. They are accurate and fairly slick. They do have that funky safety but you can remove it. I could not afford a real Win.92 so I went with the Rossi. I looked at the Henry but could not take the tube feed. The new Marlins did not impress me. Give the Rossi a look.

·
In The Saddle
7,126 Posts
Yeah, if your going to go with a lever, I suggest a Winchester '92 or '94 , and nothing made recently.... You shop on line, or at a gun show, you can still find them but generally expencive.

If your going to hunt, I suggest 30-30/ 35 Remington, 44 mag, or like mine, 45 LC (long colt/colt). If plinking, and very small game is it for you, the 30-30/357mag.

Winchester made in 70's/80's, early 90's... After that Nope for me. Marlin made in the same year zone. Henry, made 'any time..' All these are extremely good levers, and will serve you well for years. The "newer" Remingtons, Marlins, Winchesters, are cheaply made, and I have personally seen bad issues with them. Good luck on your quest. I do want to plug Henry again... Very fine durable long lasting accurate levers, and high quality. Just stay away from the "newer" late model levers named above...

Good luck.

CM
:horse:

·
Registered
13,347 Posts
I have a Henry in .45 colt. Its been a real pleasure to shoot. The side feed is not particularly important to me since I range shoot with mine. If 10 rounds of .45 colt won't get the job done you might need a cannon instead.

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
i picked up a really 44 magnum Marlin model 1894 a few years back for $300... a really good price. it's the straight stock look a like to the Winchester, except for the side ejection. a great option if you want to add a scope. decent alternative to the Winchester.

·
Resident Misanthrope
425 Posts
Older Marlins are some of the stoutest made. So if you wanted to go 444, 45/70 and of course 450 marlin thats the way to go. I would shy away from the new ones get a pre Remington model. Winchesters are still solid bets as long as you aren't shooting hot 45/70 loads. 357 they are great.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've decided I "need" one and don't really know much.

I'd like a "proper" pedigree, which I guess that rules out the Rossi's, unless that's stupid

Being able to load from a side gate rather than tube only seems like a big convenience

If you're a purist, don't gasp, but wanting to get it in 38/357 as I already inventory that round, and the right 357 shot from a rifle is over 1,000 ft pounds, so a legit game getter if needed

Thanks for your thoughts/advice
Henry. Nuff said.

·
Registered
18,127 Posts
Henry, Rossi and Marlin are good choices. Cimarron Arms makes some interesting lever actions.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I really like my Henry in .357. It is always popular at the range, smooth as butter and really pretty. The tube feed is a bit of a pain, (hang on to that tube!) but it’s never bothered me. Like you, I really appreciate having a long gun chambered the same as my revolver.

Maybe not as nice as a Winchester or Marlin and not the game stopper of a 30-30 but a fine gun and one I’d never sell. Plus, you can find one and they won’t break the bank and made in the USA.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you want a 357 mag lever gun get a Marlin 1894 and get it in stainless steel. All these lever rifles have a ton of small parts compared to a bolt gun, and water/grit infiltrates everything when they’re in the field. Loading gate, tube mag, receiver, you name it. They get bound up much easier than bolts. Maintenance is both more critical and more difficult in that it usually requires tools. Stainless will help a great deal in preventing corrosion. I love the old ones (Dear Santa, please leave a 1886 in 50/110 under the tree), but for a user I’d go stainless all day everyday. They’re also relatively easy to scope or mount an optic on if you want to.

Just try not to buy sight unseen and you should be able to find a good one, even if it’s current manufacture.

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
11,576 Posts
Pre-Remington Marlin. In .357 or .30-30.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, if your going to go with a lever, I suggest a Winchester '92 or '94 , and nothing made recently.... You shop on line, or at a gun show, you can still find them but generally expencive.

If your going to hunt, I suggest 30-30/ 35 Remington, 44 mag, or like mine, 45 LC (long colt/colt). If plinking, and very small game is it for you, the 30-30/357mag.

Winchester made in 70's/80's, early 90's... After that Nope for me. Marlin made in the same year zone. Henry, made 'any time..' All these are extremely good levers, and will serve you well for years. The "newer" Remingtons, Marlins, Winchesters, are cheaply made, and I have personally seen bad issues with them. Good luck on your quest. I do want to plug Henry again... Very fine durable long lasting accurate levers, and high quality. Just stay away from the "newer" late model levers named above...

Good luck.

CM
:horse:
Really? My modern winchester is amazing in fit and finish, smoothness, accuracy. It's very well made, and I've heard the same from every other person who owns a Japanese Winchester. Some say they are even better than many of the old ones in the fit and finish department.

·
Registered
18,127 Posts
Marlin 336 .30-30. Look no further. Tighter, smoother action, side ejecting and far more accurate.
Marlin 336 - 35 Remington all that and a little bit more poke. :whistling: :couch:

1 - 20 of 131 Posts