close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please recommend a powder for 200gr XTP...

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by alank2, Sep 18, 2012.

1. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Same load I use regularly for hunting with 6" fully supported barrels and new brass. STOUT, over max, but very very nice.

**TO ALL SEEING THIS: Please do your own workups!!!**

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

Max that will feed thru my mag. 1260 IIRC...

CW

3. gofastman

gofastman

I have heard this before, maybe it was from you, or someone echoing what you had said, I don't remember.
    it does sound reasonable though, that stuff (AA#9 in my case) is super fine.

To the op:
    I have not found anything that meters too much better than Longshot in my LEE powder thrower, and its great for velocity.

AA9 clogs up my Lee thrower because it is so fine, YMMV.

Go with Blue Dot if you want fireworks, that stuff is just too fun!

4. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

Just a note on pressures and watching for them...

Measuring case heads IS a accurate way if all things are equil. BUT at pressures under 40K it's simply not gonna happen. Meaning most handgun loadings cannot be accurately estimated by measuring the case head expansion. By the time you see measurable expansion your already past the SAMMI spec for this caliber. The 10mm is right on the cusp of this 40K pressure limits so it's possible some measurable expansion will be found.

Primers alone are a POOR choice for looking at pressures. YES hi pressures will likley have flattened primers. BUT you need to know what your looking at and this comes with experience.

Noise, excessive recoil as well as flattens primers and as you get to the top pressures case head expansion.

As mentioned, be careful and watch all signs of excessive pressure if your gonna push the limits and find your own maximum. Once you reach the limits, your best served to back off and set your guns limit for BEFORE pressure signs appear.

CW

5. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

I've said it before but I think I originally got the original post in this forum was by Yondering... can't recall

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012