Please recommend a minivan

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bomber Nav, May 28, 2020.

1. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I haven't looked at the new Sienna, but I'd say that the Honda Odyssey has been the gold standard/no brainer purchase in this category for more than a decade.

I owned a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan and a 2008 Odyssey, the difference in quality was mind-boggling. After five years, the Caravan was a clapped-out mess, everything in it looked about 100 years old and stuff was starting to fall off. By contrast, after 10 years the Odyssey was still in very good shape, obviously well-used, but solid and reliable.

If I needed to buy a minivan by 5pm today, I'd feel 100% comfortable going to the Honda dealership and picking my preferred Odyssey, without even looking at other brands.

Next in line to look at would be the Toyota Sienna and then the Kia, which offers solid price/performance, but IMHO it's a significant drop from Honda/Toyota level.

Bomber Nav and Dukeboy01 like this.
  2. 1eyedjack01

1eyedjack01

Now you've hurt my feelings, lol...

Deanster likes this.

3. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

4. walke121

walke121

If you have to get a van there is only one choice...[​IMG]

Seriously though I’d say all of options from the major brands make really nice vans nowadays and are great choices. I’d have to go with a Suburban or Expedition but if it’s a minivan you want pick the one that appeals to you the most and has the options/configuration you need because they are all reliable vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bomber Nav likes this.
  5. JMS

JMS 02

We are Toyota exclusive since 1984 but based on what you describe the Odyssey is the better choice due to the worthless middle seat in the second row of the Sienna. From 2004-2010 they were equal, then Toyota went to a half seat which is too small for car seats and not comfortable to sit on and is effectively there to be removed to access the 3rd row.

For me I’ve always modified my vehicles, I’ve never modified a minivan and I want a challenge. I’ll be getting a Sienna SE as the base to start modifying, plate already chosen SNGLDAD.
    BFCFFF4D-0462-4A1A-9E6C-4D141E7247B4.jpeg

Bomber Nav likes this.
  6. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

We had a '89 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport w/3.3L V6, and never had a problem with it, until my wife was in an accident, and with airbags deployed, the insurance company 'totaled' it.
    The accident was in '04.

We then bought a used '01 Chrysler T&C w/ 31,000 miles on it.
    This was a different vehicle. Electrical 'gremlins' that finally got sorted out.
    3.8L V6. Strong engine.

Since the kids are all grown, my wife decided that we really don't need it, and sold it to a young lady w/ 2 kids. (A neighbor.)

Our oldest daughter bought a Toyota Sienna and she LOVES it.
    She bought it new, and has hauled her 2 kids and her POS husband and associated 'stuff' from Maryland, to just about every state, up and down the East Coast with ZERO issues!

Bomber Nav likes this.
  7. Redeemed

Redeemed

Unfortunately the current odyssey is the same.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  8. JMS

JMS 02

I thought they were a full 3 seats. Maybe the OP needs to look at a 2018/2019 to get the full seat.

The Toyota Sequoia will also meet his criteria, I have a 2008, but with the 3rd row in place room behind gets limited.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  9. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Honda or Toyota always seem to lead the pack. consumer report always picks them.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  10. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Yes, I've researched the reviews by US News, Edmunds, CR, and Kelly Blue Book and maybe others. The Honda and the Toyota always vie to the top spots, with the Pacifica thrown in the mix depending on who's review I'm reading. The consensus seems to be that the Pacific is a whole lot better that it used to be. My concern is that the reviews look at NEW vehicles right off the lot, with everything working just fine. Doesn't help you understand what chronic problems may pop up once you get 10/20/30/40 thousand miles on the odometer. This will probably be the last vehicle I buy given my age, since we tend to keep them until they drop (my wife's Buick is 15 years old). I don't want to acquire anything that has a reputation for chronic maintenance issues. (Had a Caddy like that at one time; once the warranty ran out, it was a real expense. Every month it was in the shop for something. I dumped it.)

11. JMS

JMS 02

Toyota or Honda only then. There’s a reason they keep their resale value.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  12. donp

donp

I have a 2014 Grand Caravan it a greaT vehicle, no concerns as I was able to get that Lifetime warranty that is no longer available. Can seat 7 people but not much room for luggage. I planning lots of trips with full load, think about a full size real van

Bomber Nav likes this.
  13. JMS

JMS 02

With a Thule roof mounted box and/trunk mounted box you could get another 30 cubic feet of space if you like your vehicle.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  14. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

I've had a Honda Odyssey, Chrysler T&C and currently have a Nissan Quest.

Only one I'd recommend is the Honda.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  15. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Honda paint is absolute crap. Especially the darker shades or white.

16. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

50K out of a set of tires is AMAZING!

17. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

18. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

It would be an interesting thread what variables goes into dodge at 210 and odyssey at 68. What variables do what to the model (in general)?

19. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

Done.