Please recommend a minivan

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bomber Nav, May 28, 2020.

1. bfg1971

bfg1971

Pacifica is a great mini van. Make sure you get 2nd and third row stow and go seats. My first one was fully loaded the second is a base model. I miss the convenient storage of my 2nd row seats. They do come out easily though.

2. Barry581

Barry581

I cannot in good conscience recommend any minivan without thinking my man card may be revoked. Sorry, going to drink a couple shots of bourbon and go shoot some guns to make up for even reading this.

1eyedjack01 likes this.

3. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Minivan will be the wife's vehicle. I'm keeping my Chevy pickup truck!

Barry581 likes this.
  4. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

2016 Odyssey here. It’s mechanically bulletproof, the rear seats stow easily, and it has good power. The spare tire is a little hard to get to.

If you’re dealing with kids, and/or driving a lot on vacations, it’s the smart move.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  5. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

I had Mopar before the Odyssey. Yes, the seat stowage is primo, but the mechanicals overall were disappointing.

Deanster and Bomber Nav like this.
  6. Backpack Hunter

Backpack Hunter

We have a '14 Honda Odyssey. Best car decision we have made for our family so far. We have replaced both of the sliding door handles, and since we live in the mountains we put on slotted and drilled rotors. I do believe we will be replacing the rear passenger side caliper soon. Other than that it has been normal maintenance. Hopefully that trend continues.

Esse quam videri

Bomber Nav likes this.
  7. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I like Both Honda, and Toyota. Have great luck with the Honda.
    Daughter and Son In Law went with the Toyota, and haven't had any problems either. We got them about six months apart.
    They have a few more miles than we do, but not much.
    I still have my GMC Pickup, but the wife wanted the Van.
    Most trips we take her Van, but just depends, sometimes the Truck. I like driving my truck.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  8. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Ford makes the smaller Transit Connect in a Wagon version, drives/handles/parks like a mini-van.
    Some of the features are executed in a strange fashion, though, so check it closely.
    I don't have one, but I've looked at them -- I'm just mentioning another option.

mike from st pe and Bomber Nav like this.
  9. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

Had two Odysseys for over fifteen years: my only complaint is how bad they are on snow, but perhaps that's a function of my putting cheap tires on them, like $100-range tires.

We live in Western PA, so we get snow, but not tons.

After the first one, we considered changing to the Sienna, because it comes with the all-wheel drive option in the higher trim (the Odyssey didn't offer all wheel drive in any trim, even in the highest one, when we were in the market) : test-drove several and I liked the ride, but there were some major differences that steered us back to a Honda Odyssey.

First, was the size of the third row window: are youngest child want to be able to see out the window if she sat back there, as the windows are smaller than in the Odyssey and higher in relation to the seat.

Second, was the amount you could lower the window in the second row doors: the windows open considerably more in the Honda Odyssey.

Third, you get more bang for your buck in the Odyssey: Siennas were at least three to four thousand dollars more.

Fourth, the space in the Odyssey is more useful. The two may be comparable in cubic feet of storage measured, but the Odyssey's trunk was deeper, and you could fit more things in that space than in the Sienna.

Fifth, I felt the Odyssey had more oomph when you put the gas pedal down. It felt like you accelerated faster, a quicker vehicle.

The one thing I did like about the Sienna more was the turning radius: the Sienna is able to make some really tight turns. While the Odyssey is very nimble, I felt the Sienna was way more nimble in parking lots.

If you have a larger family, or you are transporting people on the regular, you cannot beat a minivan. Over the years we have spent almost nothing on mechanical issues, whereas our friends driving Chrysler minivans are always having them. We test drove Town & Country and even the Kia minivan (Entourage, I think was called, but I don't think they make them anymore) just to see how they felt, and they were in every aspect uninferior product to the Japanese vans. The only thing was that they came with was more bells and whistles for the same price, but you're buying gimmicks, and you end up spending way more overtime fixing mechanical / electrical issues.

I don't mind driving the van: I like having the right tool for the job. With a family of six, on a single income, minivan is the only logical choice for us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

DJ Niner, Dukeboy01 and Bomber Nav like this.
  10. jk_226

jk_226

We have Toyota Sienna AWD that's run like a top for something like 16 years. It works great with 3 kids and is comfortable to ride in. It does alright in the snow too, although in deep snow it won't beat my Nissan Frontier 4WD.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  11. Barry581

Barry581

Oh. Well. Yes that's completely different. Get the Toyota or Honda, you can't go wrong with either. My daughter is on her second Odyssey, and they've been great cars. I worked at a Toyota store a while back, and we sold a ton of Sienna's, everybody loved them. Personally I liked the SE model, a bit stiffer suspension and handled way better.

If you really want to be cool, go with this one: https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2...r-honda-odyssey-at-pikes-peak/comment-page-1/

12. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Toyota Sienna for the win...

Bomber Nav likes this.
  13. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey, stay away from dodge and Chrysler, they are garbage. Plus you can get the sienna in AWD!!

Bomber Nav likes this.
  14. Redeemed

Redeemed

The current Odessey has a nine or ten speed transmission depending on trim. and as far as I know, we have never built a cvt for the Odyssey. But I could be wrong. I’m not in powertrain.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  15. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

Hate to be a wet towel, but, as a class, minivans are the most dangerous vehicles to put your loved ones in. Basically, they have the same structural elements as a sedan, just expanded over a larger occupant volume. That means they are weaker. They are the worst in protecting occupants, specifically in side impacts. There are a few that are a little better, but still not to the levels of the SUVs and Wagons. When we had the small kids, we had a Pacifica, but it was before they mini-vaned the model. When you look at safety ratings, they are now done in class, meaning mini-van vs. mini-van, not all vehicles equally compared. The Chevy Astro was the safest of the mini-vans, ceased production in 2005. In the current class, the Odyssey has maintained the highest rating the past few years. When I ran the Odyssey through my analysis (a multi-faceted rating system comparing a vehicle to all other passenger vehicles, 100 being average) in 2017, it's base score was 68. For comparison, a 3/4 ton Dodge gets a rating of 210. 25 years of doing accident reconstruction has proven my analysis tool to be very close to reality.

Hyundai, Kia, Genesis, Volvo and Mazda are some brands whose mid-size vehicles tend to score well in class and maintain scores over 100 when pushed into the overalls. The Genesis G70 is one of the best sedans for safety since 2019 pushing out the Ford sedans. If you absolutely must have a minivan and safety is a factor, the Kia Sedona and Honda Odyssey are the best two overall from a safety perspective. With 30% of drivers carrying the minimums and close to 30% of drivers having no insurance, the best offense is often a good defense. I have not run the Sedona or the Gen5 Odyssey through my analysis and I won't until 2021, but the structural changes won't negatively affect it's safety performance.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  16. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

You and your 'man card' and minivans...what's the deep-rooted psychological issue there?

...and again here: Joys of buying a used car

17. 1eyedjack01

1eyedjack01

Wouldn't be caught dead driving a Mommy Car...

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You'll need a Bundeswehr combat minivan:

minivan.jpg

Bomber Nav likes this.
  19. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Friends don't let friends buy FiatChrysler.

Just... no.

and very reliable compared to what? Compared to earlier Chrysler minivans with the 30K mile transmissions, it doesn't take much to be more reliable.

Compared to Honda/Toyota options, I'd need a LOT of convincing if someone claimed current FiatChrysler minivans were half as reliable.

Bomber Nav likes this.
  20. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Always interesting to see where people get their identity from.