Please recommend a good 9mm seating / taper crimp die...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Glock21sf-miami, Jun 15, 2020.

1. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

CBC brass with a 147 is like the .45 small-primer-problem of 9mm. Everyone's life would be easier if it just simply didn't exist.

Intolerant and fredj338 like this.
  2. fredj338

fredj338

So I do range pickups & the younger guys in my idpa sq just roll their eyes, but its like leaving a bag of nickeks on the ground. I inspect them as I pick them up two at a time. They arecbreaking down the last stage & as CSO I have done my work so I pick up brass.
    Just about all foreign brass gets tossed but pmc. Everything else is spotty with 147gr. I van get better failure rate using 135gr & mixed brass but I just find it simple to pick up what I know works.

3. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

That's what I do (when I can). I'm not changing my beloved load for some occasional crappy brass.

Abrass and Intolerant like this.
  4. fredj338

fredj338

I should just buy once fired blazer but goes against my shoot cheaper philosophy. Plus hard to find once fired in one headstamp.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    SARDG likes this.
  5. Intolerant

Intolerant

Agreed... it means nothing to me either. Once the dies are set, they are set. I dont know how many times i`ve heard and listened to people that blame the die for inconsistencies. That usually isnt the problem, if set properly, and using the correct seater plug for the bullet being loaded.

What i have seen though, people not using the proper seater plug with the profile of the bullets. Especially when loading copper plated bullets. Copper plated bullets are softer than some people think they are. Copper bullets arent extremely precise either. I think you know where i`m going with this. A seater plug that is pushing on the very tip of the bullet will flatten the tip of the copper plated bullet slightly. That guy will see his OAL more consistent due to flattening the tip a smidge, and taking his OAL measurements on this basis.

Now take another guy, using a seater plug that is seating a bullet on the ogive and not touching the tip of the bullet, you`ll find some OAL length variances because now, we`re not working the tip. Copper plated bullets arent perfect. I`ve loaded thousands upon thousands, and i`ve never seen a 100% perfect one. Usually find dings and dents all over the tips. This CAN, play into consistencies. But its NOT something i`m very concerned with, its just a pistol round.

I think some are just to anal about loading pistol rounds... i quit worrying about it decades ago.
    Not sure i described it to "your" liking, but thats my take on it, political correctness dosent apply.

;)

6. Intolerant

Intolerant

Yeah... i`m still waiting to hear that answer too.

7. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Montana Gold 115 gr FMJs... I have been firing them out of a P365 I just got and I tell you, they are accurate. I've had great experience with these bullets in .45 and .38.
    All the brass I have loaded so far is pretty consistent. 1/4 turn crimp works well and they all gauge. I like FC and Speer the most...The problem is in the seating. Maybe the thread of the seating stem is banged or damaged allowing for some movement? I couldn't see anything obvious...
    Seating stem is flat and these bullets are not deforming or flattening at the tip at all. OAL should be more or less the same.

BTW, thanks for the heads up with CBC. I have a bit of it and it is going to the bottom of the pile under the "just in case there is no more brass in the world" bag.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  8. fredj338

fredj338

The flattening if the tip is the issue with mixed brass. The brass resists seating & the bullet deforms. A 0.010" diff in deformation is certsinly possible. Why I dont worry about, just doesnt affect the accuracy of the pistol round.
    Fwiw, MG are very good bullets but quite expensive for casual paper punching. Coated lead from several comm makers are quite good for speed shooting steel or competitin or casual practice & quite a bit cheaper.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Taterhead likes this.
  9. CrashFF00

CrashFF00

My experience with inconsistent seating depth is usually related to the bullet profile and the seating die stem not matching up properly, so the bullet can be slightly off center as it is pushed into the casing. On my Lee die, I polished up the center of the seating stem to smooth out the surface and allow the bullet to center up a little better for RN profiles, and for FP profiles I have the seating stem filed flat so the meplat actually presses evenly against it.

SARDG and Taterhead like this.
  10. naughtymoose

naughtymoose

Redding competition seating die and competition crimp die.