Please recommend a good 9mm seating / taper crimp die...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Glock21sf-miami, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Intolerant

Intolerant

I think there is more variation`s if your using a progressive press to load with anyway. Once the dies are locked in, they`re pretty much gonna stay put, but the issues will usually be the sub plate on the press itself. They ALL flex. You cant stop it either. Bullets arent perfect either. Bottoms of the cases after first firing arent perfect anymore either.

I can understand wanting super accurate load for a benchrest rifle, but a 9mm pistol round, nah.

Abrass and SARDG like this.
  2. Taterhead

Taterhead

Mixed brass, as noted earlier, affect COL. The cases flex a bit, and spring back. Harder cases like PMC tend to seat longer since it takes more seating force. More force. More flex. More springback. Longer COL.

Nickel plated cases tend to seat easier. Less flex. Less springback. Therefore shorter COL.

Typically doesn't matter.

fredj338, Collo Rosso and Intolerant like this.

3. Intolerant

Intolerant

^ That right there. Always huge amount of variables in the loop.

fredj338 likes this.
  4. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

...and CBC (among others) won't gauge with my 147s. My headstamp inspection at the least, culls CBC. And that brass is the particular reason that I sort.

I bought some processed mixed brass once, and it was about 20-25% CBC. Now it's new or Indoor range pickup for me, where I have a modicum of control.

fredj338 and Intolerant like this.
  5. ktanative

ktanative GlockaMania

I myself use the Hornady taper crimp 3 die set with no set back issues at all in 9mm Luger. Would recommend the taper crimp set from Hornady. This result was using Precision Delta 124gr jacketed projectiles.

6. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

I can't remember the amount off the top of my head, but was a little surprised by the tolerance of my O.A.L. on the Dillon compared to my T-7. There's some flex there. Compensate by a couple thou' and don't worry about it.

Intolerant likes this.
  7. Firecop203

Firecop203

Getting the adjustments right no matter the brand of die sometimes takes a LOT of trial and error. I found that during set up using a really strong magnifying glass and a case gauge for every caliber I load works well for me.

8. GWG19

GWG19

Some 33 years ago I bought Lee 9mm Dies. It was what the LGS carried. Figured I would replace them when they wore out. Many 1000’s of rounds later they still work. If I was to replace the I would go with Dillon die sets.

9. papercidal

papercidal

I’ve been going the other way and have almost replaced all my Dillon dies with lee the sizing die is far better and it doesn’t have that stupid spring on the decapping pin that pulls the old primers back into the case. I also prefer a seating die I can adjust without loosening the whole die.

10. judgecrater

judgecrater

I use Dillon dies. Most important: always seat and crimp with separate dies. There you go.

fredj338 likes this.
  11. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

I use the Lee taper crimp die. It works beautifully.

12. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

I have found just the opposite. I have not had a primer pulled back in since using the spring decapping die. Plus I don’t have the problem of the decapping pin being pushed up and not deprime cases with the Lee sizing die or universal decapping die. Long story, but it was the start of the reason why I had a major setback using the Lee universal decapping die.

fredj338 likes this.
  13. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

I separate my brass by headstamp and I have been using Federal, Winchester and Speer once fired brass that I fired myself so I believe seating should be relatively consistent. I recently loaded a batch of 100 rounds with once fired Blazer Brass and I noticed that brass is softer. The variation increased... When running all stations I get COLs between 1.141 and 1.160. When I run the same rounds again just through the seating die (all other stations empty) I get variations between 1.143 and 1.152...

14. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

I've noticed some bullets will just give me wide oal variations typically they are the fmj type. Also you can check and see if the seater stem matches up with the bullet you are using. Example my redding seating stem does not work with hornady 147gr xtp it deformes the hollow point slightly.

15. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

I really don't care for super accurate loads. I just want my reloads to fire reliably and they have so far. My issue is the aggravation of having to run the rounds twice through the seater and have to measure each round... I have loaded about 5,000 45 acp rounds and they have almost no variation. Maybe +- 0.002. I set those dies years ago and they work exactly as they did when I set them up. I don't have to be checking each round. I understand that everything flexes and that the shell plate may move a bit but not to have a variation of between 1.14X and 1.16X...
    Maybe I should try a batch with that variation on the gun and just let it be if it works... However, I think most of you will agree that you get a great feeling when things work right and a lousy one when they don't... I would like my rounds to be consistent and I think they should.

16. Lil

Lil

Adjustments are especially challenging when restricted to the coarse 7/8 - 14 threads. Enter the micrometer adjustable seat and crimp dies. Makes fine adjustments and returning to previous settings a snap.

ThomasM4 likes this.
  17. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Did you see my post #15? That die works on my Dillons just fine. But no single piece of brass likely sees my press more than 3 times and I shoot bunny-fart loads, so none of the brass is particularly abused. Be sure to use the appropriate stem.

That RCBS seat/crimp die (in fact, likely any combo seat/crimp die) is a pain to initially adjust. But all final die adjustments are made with the varying degrees of cartridge completion in each station - which makes adjustment even more tedious. But once cranked down, nothing really varies (an inordinate amount). However, I don't have to worry about 'resetting' my popular loads as I use a variation of the sniper's creed (one shot, one kill) and maintain one load, one toolhead (including powder measure).

I largely use machined toolheads, and secure them with that small screw/locking system available at UniqueTek. If changing out the toolhead, I don't tighten those screws without having a cartridge in every station. Overkill? Dunno! And some say the toolhead should float some. But with my system, I don't see what could cause cartridge parameter change other than press wear or dirty dies. So if you lube your press and clean your dies occasionally, I believe with things locked down like that, you can achieve more consistency. Someone here may have a different take on my "system".

18. fredj338

fredj338

Not really. Progressive press is just a tool, nothing is really diff about the die setup. Yes the shell plate fkexes but you set your crimp for that & as long as you dont change the way you manipulate the press, pretty consistent. Even if it were not as precise as a SS press, the tniy variation means nothing.

19. fredj338

fredj338

I throw my cbc range pickups In the trash. More than 50% failure to gage with 147gr bullets.

SARDG likes this.
  20. fredj338

fredj338

What bullets? I have never had that much variation. Fwiw, speer, blazer & fc are likely made at the same plant, same parent company.

Intolerant likes this.