Please recommend a good 9mm seating / taper crimp die...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Glock21sf-miami, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

I started loading 9mm and encountered some problems I did not have with other calibers (i.e. inconsistent seating depth and rounds hanging when exiting the die). loading with a Hornady LNL and dies. I have contacted Hornady and sent the die for a warranty repair, they returned the die with the same issues. I wasted 21 days with the die in transit and I am really disappointed with the way they have handled the situation. I had great experience with Hornady before but this is making me think twice about buying anything from them again. Since $30 is already less than the value of my time dealing with this sh!t, I would like to ask you guys to recommend another 9mm seating / taper crimp die for me to buy...

2. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

I use the Redding Competition bullet seating die and for crimp either a Lee or Dillon crimp die.

3. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

I own a set of dillon 9mm and a set of Redding competition pro 9mm dies .
    Could recommend either one both have worked. But really like the redding micrometer seater and the micrometer crimp die.

4. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

I guess I want the back story because Hornady makes good stuff.
    I'm just guessing but you are doing the seating and crimping in separate steps, right?

The seating die doesn't do much except keep the bullet upright while pushing it into a case with the proper amount of belling at the mouth. Dillon suggests 0.020" of bell.

The taper crimp die just closes up the bell and this step is a little more critical because without enough crimp or too much crimp, the round might not chamber.

I like to just see daylight at the leading edge when I put the round in a pair of calipers lengthwise. Maybe 0.004" of crimp works for me.

Dillon dies have features that others lack.

5. Lil

Lil

If you're not seating in one step and separately crimping in another, give that a whirl for optimal results. Difficult to imagine Hornady botched a die. I've gone with Redding Premium Seating and their Std Micrometer Crimp dies for clear sailing.

fredj338 likes this.
  6. Taterhead

Taterhead

My RCBS seater and Lee taper crimp dies work just fine, although the Lee die was very coarsely finished inside. Abraded a dusting of brass when new.

It would be useful to know the bullet type being seated.

Intolerant likes this.
  7. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

I am actually seating and crimping on the same die. I have a powder cop die in station 4 so I do them both in one step. Never had any problems until now. I have done it that way before with 45 acp and 38 special. The option of doing it separately would require getting rid of the powder cop...
    I do have a case gauge to check and have never had a round not chamber before. I bell just enough to hold the bullet and then I set the crimp at 1/4 of a turn from case contact. It has always worked for me...
    Any suggestions of a die with both seating and the crimp? I may buy another Hornady, I'm just really disappointed at their customer service right now... I have already wasted many hours with this issue.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  8. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

I separated seating and crimp for all my rounds and solved a few problems. For 9mm my dies are RCBS.

Intolerant likes this.
  9. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

I thought they made a pass thru and belling powder funnel for the Hornady powder measure? .

10. Taterhead

Taterhead

Coated cast bullets by chance?

Intolerant likes this.
  11. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Redding Competition Seater and crimp dies.

ThomasM4 likes this.
  12. Intolerant

Intolerant

A good one trick pony, (so that you can keep your powder cop) get a set of RCBS carbide dies. They are taper crimp dies, so you wont have any issues there. Best bang for the buck.

I gave up on hornady dies... ran into more trouble than they were worth. (pistol AND rifle)
    I wont go into details about hornady, but i will never buy ANY of their dies ever again.

13. Intolerant

Intolerant

They do... its called the
    Hornady PTX Powder Drop Expander
    Notice the garbage quality... when you get one, you`ll have to fix it.

[​IMG]

fredj338 likes this.
  14. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Montana Gold 115 gr FMJs

15. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

I need 7 or 8 stations on my press to do everything I want to do, at separate stations. But alas... I have a 650 and 750 with only 5 stations so have to seat and crimp on one die all too often.

I use an RCBS # 20562 and it works very well.
    20200615_225440.jpg

Taterhead likes this.
  16. SARDG

Boy, that ain't purty. I've been using DAAs lately, with my bullet feeders. I still polished those.

Collo Rosso likes this.
  17. Intolerant

Intolerant

Yeah i think they all need a little polishing. It really does help to keep the cases from sticking. But those hornady ones are the worst i`ve ever seen. They sure dropped the ball with their quality anymore. I`ve since made a few of my own and they work far better than the PTX`s.

I use the the RCBS carbide taper dies, and they work flawless.

SARDG likes this.
  18. fredj338

fredj338

You didnt say how much variation you are getting. A variation of 0.003" is pretty normal & even if it were 0.010", look at that on a caliper, pretty insignificant, as long as that doesnt put you into rifling.
    You will never get best results with mixed brass. You will never get best results seating & crimping in the same step. The lnl is a 5 stn press, you can run a cop & seat & crimp separate if using a powder thru die system.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    SARDG and Intolerant like this.
  19. fredj338

fredj338

They do.

Intolerant likes this.
  20. SARDG

I easily get +/- .0025 (.005 total variation) with that RCBS.

Yeah... I actually use separate seat/crimp when forced to. Then I typically use the Redding Comp Seater. Two extremes... separate micrometer competition seater... combined seat/crimp. Truthfully, I don't think my ammo knows the difference.:faint:

ETA: Yes, mixed brass is a deal killer. I still (mostly) sort by headstamp.

fredj338 and Intolerant like this.