close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please keep me from taking the 12 gauge to my computer!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by dave5339, Jan 7, 2006.

1. dave5339

dave5339

Hi all!

And yet more problems on the new computer.

I am in the process of switching video cards. The Connect3D x700 was not a good choice, it's buggy as h*ll, has lots of heat issues even with lots of cooling and is heading back to TigerDirect.

I've replaced it with a DiabloTek Geforce 6600 256 MB. I popped the case this morning, pulled the old card out popped the new one in and fired up the box.

The system came up, saw the new card, saw the install CD and proceeded to install the software. I installed the Nvidia drivers and the system wanted a restart. Told it to restart and it never came back, no display at all.

Looking at the 2 paragraph instructions I see a note at the bottom suggesting I remove the old drivers before installing new ones, opps!

I put the old card back in, the system comes up. I removed the Nvidia drivers, reinstalled the new card in hopes that I could start from the beginning. No joy, no display. System powers up, just no display. Can't see anything to even get into the bios setup, there is just nothing.

Put the old card back in, and here I am.

HELP!

Thanks and Semper Fi

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

OK, first: Stop buying Bob's brand parts to save $8.45. DiabloTek? WTF, over.

If it won't even POST, either you don't have the card seated right, or the card is DOA, the system hasn't even attempted to load drivers yet.

When you do get a new card that works, you need to uninstall the ATi drivers from the x700 before you remove it to install whatever new card you get. Some say you're better off starting over when you change vid card chip brands. Something like this can help with that. D.C. may have other suggestions... Not a problem I deal with much.

At least I've heard of Connect3D... still a VERY off brand. x700 isn't known as a hot card, are you sure it's heat? Did you try the newest Catalyst drivers from ATi? Does the dinky little heatsink on the card get hot to the touch (ie does it have a good thermal connection with the chip)?this

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

4. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Thanks, DC, we will give it a try.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

*** BE SURE TO RUN DC3 TWICE!!! ***

Once to pull out the old ATI drivers and once to pull the NVidia drivers...otherwise you'll get nowhere.

6. dave5339

dave5339

I ran it twice, pulled the nvidia drivers and the old ATI drivers.

Put the "new" card back in. Nothing. ABSOLUTELY nothing. Looks like that card is going back to TigerDirect.

Now I've got a PNY Gforce 6800GT to put in and see if it works.

Semper Fi

7. dave5339

dave5339

And )%#(_@(!*&)#%&*# STILL NOTHING!

What in the heck am I missing? I've removed the drivers, repeatedly. I've used the program recommended and I've went into device manager and removed them. Neither of the new cards comes up at all.

There is ZIP ZERO NADA display. I put the old card back in and up it comes, buggy and unstable but at least I get SOMETHING!

I've got to be missing something but I've no idea what.

Does anyone have a freaking clue?

8. HAVOC

OK... it is NOT a software issue if you're not even seeing the thing POST.

Is that the case, NO screen at all? No drive identification, no memory check?

Or does it go into the OS load and then bomb out?

The 6600 worked once, just enough to get drivers loaded? Then went total blackscreen on reboot?

Are you totally 100% completely sure the card is seated properly? Some cards can be a PITA in some boards.

The 6800GT is a power hog. Is your power supply up to the task? For your rig with that card, a ~QUALITY~ 300W PSU is a bare minimum. 400W is better. Do you have the extra power cable plugged directly into the video card? That's not really optional on a GT.

9. HAVOC

Oh, and just for grins, try blanking the BIOS with the CMOS clear jumper and try starting it with the nVidia card.

10. HAVOC

I just found your previous post about problems with the x700 and it's drivers.

I'm wondering if it's not a PSU issue, power problems tend to look JUST like this.

Another possibility is that your motherboard has issues. You have any spare stuff laying around for shotgun troubleshooting?

3 bad vid cards kinda points to another problem in the system.

11. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Is one card PCI and the other AGP? Check the bios settings with the old card, look for first video card initialzation and set it to the buss the new card works with. Shut down and swap cards then reboot.

12. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

HAVOC, this is also the 2nd motherboard we've gotten. :(

--Vic

13. HAVOC

Hmmm...

Considered an Apple ][e? Commodore 64 maybe?

Sounds a lot like a PSU thing to me...

14. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Dave, are you plugging a Molex plug from the Power Supply into the video card?

And what model/rating is that PSU?

15. dave5339

dave5339

Hey all,

Yes I've plugged the molex power connector into the 6800 video card.

I've got a decent 350W power supply.

As Vic303 said, this is our second board from Tiger direct, the first would not even post to bios.

There is NO AGP slot on this board, it's PCI-E only.

With either of the Nvidia cards I get absolutely NOTHING on the monitor, no drive check, no memory checks, NOTHING.

Commodore 64, Havoc are you sure that will handle Call of Duty 1 and 2. I really didn't know they had released Call of Duty for the Apple E. Where are you finding the software. My local shops, Fry's, MicroCenter, Comp USA only seem to have PC, Xbox, PS2 and the like gaming software, (and a small bit of Apple). Aside from that the Commodore 64 I had years ago didn't even have a spot for a network jack, how do you get broadband on one of those?

Semper Fi

16. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Man...what brand is that mainboard?

I've heard that TigerDirect has low prices and often sells parts that other distributors won't, due to frequent failures.

I use Asus boards for 80% or so of the builds I do, with Gigabyte and Chaintech making up the remainder...and I've never had half the problems you are having.

You said 'decent 350w PSU'...what brand is it, and why do you think it's decent? Have you used a multimeter to determine that the rails do not droop under load?

17. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

I think its still an ASUS mb in there, just not the same one we started with.
    Plus there's not much of a load on the thing. It buggers up doing nothing harder than surfing GT sometimes.

18. dave5339

dave5339

It's an MSI motherboard, a MSI 915P Neo-F Socket 775. Tigerdirect was out of the ASUS boards that I initially had. The first MB went back to them as defective as it would never even post up into BIOS.

I've not put a multi-meter to the power supply. I'm not wanting to get that technical with it. I mainly just want the danged thing to work so it's usable.

It's back in the shop as of this morning to see if they can do anything with it.

Getting real close to just returning the whole danged thing to Tigerdirect and saying ***** it.

Personally I think this is the last time that I deal with Tiger Direct.

Semper Fi

19. HAVOC

Wait... you had an Asus board DOA, now this MSI board (a step down from Asus) is causing problems? 3 weird or bad video cards?

PSU, or possibly RAM. Could even be the CPU. But my first stop would definitely be the PSU.

20. Shaner

Shaner Senior Member

Definatly the power supply. Try a 450 watt, they are not too expensive.