close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please help right a wrong.. Wounded warrior getting shafted needs help

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NashvilleGlock, Jul 20, 2012.

1. NashvilleGlock

NashvilleGlock EMT-Paramedic CLM

A friend I grew up with and have known for over 20 years is married to a great guy that has gone above and beyond to serve his country, only to be screwed now that he is back. This couple are two of the hardest working people I know and have always done all they could for their country and for others.

Mark is a former Navy Seal that was shot twice in Afganistan, he has received a Purple Heart, a Silver Star and 5 Bronze stars while serving.

Please share this story and help the VA fix an obvious problem that is hurting our men and women as they transition back into civilian life. This is BS and needs attention..

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...ghanistan-loses-chance-to-bid-on-va-work.html

2. gigab1te

gigab1te

I sincerely mean no disrespect to your friend, but the article leaves out a lot of information about his qualifications to do the type of work he is seeking to bid on.

What does "supervised the development of military bases in Afghanistan and provided recommendations and guidance on construction projects" mean? I suspect civilian contractors handling mid-sized to large .gov jobs need to be licensed contractors, have ample cash reserves to handle payroll and job contingencies, and most importantly have significant experience: bidding jobs, ferreting out fraud or waste on the jobsite, handling and scheduling subcontractors, handling legal disputes, handling and scheduling materials and materials providers, dealing with bonds and releases, building codes, insurance, equipment providers, labor unions, etc., and also having the experience to know if the work is proceeding on schedule (ala the current London Olympics security contractor fiasco). I'm not a contractor, so I'm probably missing dozens of other things that a major contractor does.

I think everyone would agree we want the .gov to make sure they are spending taxpayer dollars on qualified contractors. I've personally seen the nightmarish aftermath of when state and local governments have contracted out construction work to unqualified bidders. I think we would also agree there should be a serious preference for a veteran who has the same qualifications as a non-veteran bidding for the same .gov job.

With all of that said, if your friend is as qualified as the non-veterans who are getting these VA contracts, I hope he gives them he!!

3. NashvilleGlock

NashvilleGlock EMT-Paramedic CLM

The issue isn't his qualifications as far as quality.. They are saying he couldn't possibly be running the company and therefore his partner is really doing all the work and using him to be eligible. However he runs the day to day ops of the company and has complied with every one of their requirements yet still gets denied. Again, not denied because he isn't qualified, but denied because they say he must not be the one running the show.

This is why the story was picked up by Bloomberg because it's utter BS. The kind of BS that cause lawmakers to get involved because it is a complete travesty and discrace. This was setup to stop businesses that were fraudulent and to crack down, not to stop people from getting what they deserve.

If you read the entire article you can see there is a real issue and some politicians are working, but the wheels turn slow.