close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PLEASE HELP my wife!!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BuddhaPHRN, Jul 17, 2012.

1. BuddhaPHRN

BuddhaPHRN

Ladies and gentlemen of the message board:

I come with a question of utmost concern. I recently acquired a MINT G23 and will be carrying the piece for personal protection. My wife is somewhat nervous and apprehensive about my carrying a gun in the "ready" position. She is concerned about accidental discharge. Her fear of guns is at an all-time high currently.

I explained the Glock safe action handgun to her and allowed to handle the weapon. This greatly increased her comfort level.

But HOW can I explain to her with certainty that carrying a "ready" Glock is safe and that she should not be scared?

I am grateful for any and ALL help.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. DocWills

DocWills

Only people I know of who have shot themselves from ready were trying to reholster with their finger on the trigger or using a generic holster rather than a Glock holster.

If it were possible to accidently shoot yourself with a Glock Id be dead now.:supergrin:

3. Spartacus100

Spartacus100

This link might help you alot. Its from the Glock website and it shows the three safety features and how they work. Its animated so all you need to do is move the mouse over the picture.
    http://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action

You might also mention how many LEO's carry Glock pistols and everyone of them carries in in the ready position.

Good luck in convincing her. I know it can be difficult as my wife is similar in her views on firearms.

4. Bello

Bello America/Italia

I hate when people say piece referring to a pistol

5. alexhartang

alexhartang

Meh, it's like when people say "clip" instead of "magazine"

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  6. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Me too. Or 'burner.'

7. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

You beat me to it. I was actually talking the other day to a newbie at the range who had the same concern. I told him you could literally take that Glock, hammer throw it down the street, and it wouldn't fire. I carry the Glock equivalent of condition 0

8. Glock_9mm

Glock_9mm

Take her to a NRA "Basic Pistol" class and then hire the instructor to teach her how to operate your 23. Part of her fear may be she knows nothing about guns. If she is taught the basics and how to operate a handgun, I will bet she will be more comfortable with you you carrying and guns in general. Who knows, after firing your g23, she may want her own! Good luck,
    Scott

9. di11igaf

di11igaf ibew

Just tell her it absolutely will not discharge unless you, or something you did pulled the trigger, that's really all it comes down to.
    I'm not saying no one has had a discharge while holstering, but a few glock ND's I've heard about involved pocket carry with no holster.

10. MikeG36

MikeG36

She needs to go to a series of training courses. It's not cheap but it's worth every cent.

I'd start her with a basic safety course then to a defensive course. From there she should practice what she's learned and then move up to intermediate then advanced level courses.

11. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

Many wives are just like that around guns. A while back we were in Wal-Mart and some guy was open-carrying while he was minding his own business grocery shopping. My wife was shocked by the sight of it and asked me if that bothered me. Of course I said "no". I told her that a calm person going about his business armed was nothing to worry about. I told her it's the erratically behaving armed knuckleheads that concern me.

12. G19Paul

G19Paul

There are plenty of youtube videos with folks doing all sorts of tests with Glocks. The ones where they are throwing fully-loaded pistols out of a helicopter, a thousand feet off the ground, onto concrete, WITHOUT accidental discharge should be good enough to impress her.

The three safeties have to move in different directions to "turn-off". There are no physics on earth where all three safeties can have enough inertia to to make a Glock pistol go bang because of sudden impact.

Usually the finger, sometimes a wrong reholster event (that is pulling the trigger), but never (dare I say) a total failure of three safety features (at once) causing an AD.

13. BuddhaPHRN

BuddhaPHRN

You folks are AWESOME. Thank you all some much for that much needed tutorial. I will be showing it to her tonight.

And I am very sorry that I referred to my gun as a "piece"...

I'm NEW so please bear with me.

Jeff

14. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

No gun is inherently 'safe.' The danger level depends on how much stupidity (or least inattentiveness) is added to the mix of human, lead, steel, plastic, and powder.

15. fortheboys

fortheboys

WHY is her fear of firearms "at an all time high" now?

16. vinstang67

vinstang67

You can invest on trainning to show her you are taking her concern seriously.
    You will get better, and her concern goes away (I hope).

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. frankemp

frankemp

How about 'heater' or 'smoke wagon'?

18. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Tell her that possibly every police officer carrying a Glock carries it with a round in the chamber.

19. zachm

zachm

Firearms instructor Pat rogers put out a good article in the march 2012 issue of swat magazine titled. The mechanical safety, taking responsibility. heres one part that makes sense.

''The brain is the primary safety. Everything starts with the brain, and unless it is fully engaged, nothing good can happen.

20. ChrisFB

ChrisFB

Physics are one thing - Glock safety works and is proven. The other is your own attention and discipline. The more you handle guns the higher the probability of negligent discharge. If you carry you are handling your gun a good amount so the first thing I suggest is get a safety class. The next is that you never think of or do anything else while handling your pistol - don't be a freak but never ever relax or go on autopilot. You need to be disciplined and create the habit.

Most instructors will tell you that it is a matter of when and not if you will have a negligent discharge. Maybe it takes 10 years, maybe 300 and you never live to see it but at some point you will screw up something or be supremely unlucky and that is why the four rules of firearm safety exist as it protects you and others from accidents when it happens. I start every range session by repeating them and make anyone I'm working wih do the same (most instructors do this also and that includes Spec Ops types).

1) ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded
    2) Never point or let the muzzle cover something you are unwilling to kill or destroy (think constant laser beam)
    3) Keep your finger away/off the trigger until your sights are on the target and you have made the determination to fire.
    4) Be sure of your target and it's background

Notice the duplication here. Even if you mess up any one of them, no one gets hurt. Mess up two or more and you are done.

Respect. Mindfulness. Full attention.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012