close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

please help MO deer hunting w/ a .270

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by shaggy255, Dec 3, 2002.

1. shaggy255

shaggy255

please help, i have got a 270win and dont know what ammo to use (gr and brand). ive heard 130,140,150. ???? cheapest or the expensive ones???

2. Groundhog

Groundhog

Use whatever is acceptably accurate in your rifle. As far as bullet weight, 130, 140 or 150 will work just fine for deer. Do not use a light varmint bullet. Try several brands and weights and see what shoots best. Start out with inexpensive name brands. I just got back from PA with a nice 5 pointer. Used 130 gr Rem Core Lokt. They were on sale for $9.99 with a $1 rebate from Rem and they shoot moa in my Mod 70. High lung shot, deer dropped in his tracks. Although the spine was not broken, there must've been enough trauma to the spine to drop him instantly. Exit hole was about 3/4" diameter. I've killed three moose and several deer using 150 gr Nosler Partitions, but the 130 gr bullets work just as well for deer.

3. LovemyGlock's

LovemyGlock's

Try them all and see which gives you the best group at the range you plan to kill deer at. My favorite rifle ammo is Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip. That ballistic tip does wonders when it hits a deer. Awsome groupings and very consistant. Just my 2 cents.

4. g21glock

g21glock Millennium Member

All good advice above. The ballistic tips are awesome bullets, so are the Core- lokt. We were talking about this subject just last week over at a buddies house. His dad swears by Core-lokt, kills several every year with them, another friend uses Nosler Ballistic Tip exclusivly, kills with them every year, another uses the hornady version of the ballistic tip (their name for it escapes me at the moment) and I like the Barnes-X Bullet loaded by Weatherby.
    So it really boils down to your preference, for me the X-bullet is the Stuff, for my hunting buddies they all have their own fav, and we all have different bullet designs in our rifles and they all perform perfectly.

So off to the gun store you go..lol get several loadings, see what your rifle likes,see what you like and go into the woods and see how it performs.

Safe shooting

5. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

I took a buck this year with a Weatherby Alaskan in .270Win . My rifle is kinda funny on what it likes to fire and the round I found that it likes is the Federal Classic Hi-Shok 130gr sharp point. My deer was shot on a trot at aprox 50 yrds and with a shot just behind the front leg about five inches up from the bottom of the chest he ran about 30 yards and piled up. My shot cut the bottom edge of the hart and took out the lungs. I tried many diff. rounds and most will shoot point of aim with the first shot but the Federal Classic 130gr round would do it for three shot groups. I would try a bunch of diff. rounds and wts and find one the rifle likes best. JMTCW;Q

6. Matthew Temkin

Matthew Temkin

I go with the standard Remington Cor-lokt, or the Winchester/Federal soft points for my 30-30, 30-06,.308.
    I like to pratice, and since I do not reload I like to shoot ammo that will not bankrupt me.

7. Old Blue

Old Blue

I've got to agree with Remington Core-Lokt. I hunt in Taney County, Missouri with my trusty .30-30 (lost of brush down here). Last season I shot a buck that was facing directly toward me in the chest with a 170 grain from about 75 yards. That buck dropped right where he stood, and I found the slug back in the pelvis area while dressing him. It was mushroomed beautifully, just like you see in the ads, to about the diameter of a nickle. It appeared to have retained all, or at least most of its weight. That's around three feet of penetration! I have always used Core-Lokt, and every deer I have ever shot has dropped right where it stood.

BTW, where in MO are you?

8. shaggy255

shaggy255

old blue,
    i live in grain valley, hunting in camden county on a freinds land