close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please help me set up a network

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ThinkOfTheChildren, Jan 20, 2006.

1. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

Ok, I can set up your "usual" network config but I've got something in mind here and don't know the exact way to do it.

I have a cable modem, wireless router, a desktop PC (with 2 network cards), and a wireless laptop.

This is what I want to do:
    -Run the cable modem directly to the desktop PC
    -Run an ethernet cable OUT of the PC's second network card to the wireless router
    -Use the laptop to surf the signal from the wireless router

Is this possible? Can you please run me through how to set it up? The desktop PC is running XP Pro, the laptop is XP home. How do I set the XP Pro machine to share it's internet connection out of the second network card? Once the machine is sharing its connection, is there anything extra I need to do to get the wireless router to accept that as a valid connection?

Thanks!

2. ThinkOfTheChildren

P.S. - I know it would be easier to just put them both behind the router, but I don't want the desktop on the router.

3. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

I have never tried that but in thoery yes it should work.
    On your desktop PC go to Control Panel>>>Network and Dial-up Connections>>>right click the Local Area connection that is hooked up to your cable modem and select Properties>>>select the Sharing Tab>>>check the box that says "Enable Internet Connection Sharing for this connection.

Let me know if that works. :)

4. ThinkOfTheChildren

I knew there was a simple setting :)
    Thanks!

Actually, I had gone looking for it before, but at the time the second network card was disabled. It looks like Windows has to detect two network devices before it even gives you the option to share the first.

5. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

Yes you are correct two network cards must be detected before you have that option. :)