close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please help me make a decision...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Njanear, May 5, 2009.

1. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

I have been pushed over the edge and will be joining GSSF this week (and adding another Glock to my collection :cool:). Here is where I am currently stuck - what model to get. :dunno: <ETA - See choices in GREEN below>

Currently I have a 2nd Gen G22, a 2nd Gen G23C, a 3rd Gen G27 and a 3rd Gen G20. As you can see, I have an affinity for .40/10mm. :embarassed: Among those 4, I could potentially enter Civilian, Subcompact, Competition, Masterstock and Unlimited class shoots (leaving only MajorSub and Guardian untapped - ETA: due to my choice of firearms and profession, I cannot compete in these) as it stands right now. Unfortunately I do not get much actual range time, so I am reduced to either dryfiring or pulling out the BB pistol in the backyard. I know that doesn't make for a very good shooter (especially with .40 or 10mm), but it's the best I have right now.

Anyways, I have had time to check out ammo prices though and the cheapest that I can buy .40 is ~$13 at Wally World (when they have it in stock) - we won't even talk about 10mm. :crying: They do occasionally have 9mm at Wally World for ~$9 - and I even have 2K of Wolf 9mm in the stash that I bought J.I.C. (just in case :whistling:) last year. I did buy some reloading supplies for both 9mm and .40/10mm, but not enough to support a lot of competition shooting.

All of that finally brings me to my dilemma. I am currently torn between a G35 .40 and a G34 9mm ETA: as contenders for the Competition class and possibly Unlimited. I love those long slides and since the G17L and G24 aren't available through the GSSF program, those are the next best ones. For the purposes of GSSF (and possibly IDPA), from an actual shooter's perspective, which of these routes makes more sense?

* Buy a G35 because I already have .40 ammo & mags. Then later buy a LWD conversion barrel and G17 mags to make use of the 9mm ammo at the range for more inexpensive training. The 9mm setup could be used in the unlimited class, AND if I decided to load 9mm lead bullets for practice, I should be OK.

or

* Buy a G34 now and just get the G17 mags and buy more 9mm ammo. I just would not have the potential to shoot .40 if I ever decided to try another shooting sport like IDPA (for MAJOR caliber points). I would need to also buy a LWD barrel in the event that I decided to shoot 9mm lead bullets for practice.

I know the gun itself will NOT guarantee that I will become a truly competitive shooter - only range time and practice will do that - but in your minds, which of the above two routes makes more sense towards picking the 'perfect' pistol? Any tactical/practical positive comments are appreciated.

PS: And before it is said, I am not planning to shoot MajorSub as the cost of brass in the 'lost brass' matches is just too much to go with 10mm or .45 - so the G29/G29SF and G30/G30SF are not even being considered (although I held a G29SF and it felt nice.... but that will have to wait).

Thanks in advance,

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. sailor

sailor

I think you are going to be limited in your categories with either the 34 or 35. Go to the GSSF site and check out which guns are allowed in each category. I have a 34 that I love to shoot but am going to shoot a 19, my 26 and my NEW unlimited gun in GSSF.

Edit-I checked the GSSF site and it looks like the 34 and 35 can only be used in Competition and Unlimited

Last edited: May 5, 2009

3. James5m

James5m

In GSSF you can either shoot AM Civ or Guardian, Not both.

4. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

10-4. I figured I would use one of my others to shoot in the other classes (no need to let them just sit at home); I just wanted to consider a long slide for Competition class and possibly Unlimited.

Correct - I can qualify for all that I listed; what I was trying to say is that MajorSub and Guardian were the only two classes that I could not qualify to shoot in (due to either my choice of firearms or profession).

Any thoughts on the choice of pistol? That's really what I am looking for, but thanks for responding above.

5. gary newport

gary newport

Since you are a fan of the .40 (I'm not) and since you have G22 magazines, I'd say the G35 would make sense as a purchase with the GSSF discount. However, you can shoot your G22 in both Amateur and Competition (as well as Master Stock) and even be competitive. One of my range buddies won one or two of the Glocks he won on the way to becoming a GSSF Master by shooting his G17 in Competition division.

You can use the G35 in in USPSA Limited-10 (or Limited) division and take advantage of the Major Power Factor bonus for missing. However, the .40 confers no advantage (other than bigger bullets, which may touch a scoring ring that a smaller bullet would have missed) in IDPA. You can only shoot your G22, G35, etc. in IDPA Stock Service Pistol or Enhanced Service Pistol, neither of which require or reward Major Power Factor. That means you'll be shooting a .40 against folks who are shooting 9mm. Unless you reload and download your .40 ammo to make Minor, you may find yourself at a "competitive disadvantage."

For IDPA, the G34 in Stock Service Pistol is perhaps the most popular choice.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

if it were me i'd get a g30 and shoot major sub and maybe sub with it and use the g22 for everything else. you won't gain much using a long slide gun in comp or UL. unless you just want a long slide i'd buy spend the money on mags or ammo.

7. gary newport

gary newport

Ed, I'm thinking of doing exactly that--MajorSub and Subcompact--with my G30SF! Got any reliably-cycling bunny-fart loads that you like in the G30 for GSSF?

8. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

maybe I dont have much room to talk - for I had a lot more than 5 Glocks (before the tragic accident where I overturned the canoe in 150 feet of water & lost all my guns)

but with 4 glocks already..... Im wondering what else you have in the collection? (or more importantly - what you dont have).

maybe instead of a 5th glock your next purchase sould be a Ruger LCP or KelTec P3AT, or a Kahr PM40/CW-40, or an AK or AR, 12 gauge riot gun or mossberg 14" AOW, or Serbu AOW, or a Savage heavy barrel in 260 Rem

Save your GSSF certificate for later in the year?

9. ede

ede Bama's Friend

gary,
    i sold my SF because it wasn't reliable with the same load i used in my standard G30. right now my pet load is a 230 moly coated bullet over 4.2 gr. or titegroup. it isn't exactily a bunny fart load but it's been 100% reliable and accurate for me in the G30. also for shooting the G30 in sub class i use G21 mags, but the last couple of matches i've went back to the G27 for sub. i'm about out of the 230 ammo and have 2k of 200 gr. moly bullets i'll make a new load for soon.

10. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Gary - thank you very much for all of the info that you provided, especially in regards to IDPA. I don't know much about any of these shoots (I am usually the quiet guy on the last bench at the range, shooting alone), so that really was great stuff to read.

Ede - I like the G30 too but those big old bullets are pretty costly. I took a look at a G30SF (and G29SF) at the shop but cringed at the thought of the 'brass loss' in GSSF. :shocked:

Thanks for that thought, Rusty. I 'had' quite a few in the collection that 'were' very similar to what you posted (before my jonboat got caught below the dam when they released the gates and it flipped over, dumping everything out :whistling:) - funny you mention the AOWs, because I was considering one of those a few months back (that would be a 'blast' when squirrel hunting).

11. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

You can shoot the same guns in Am Civ or Guard, you don't have to choose a gun over your profession, if I understood that right. You are making this complicated and it's not. Yes, I do the same thing. If you have a G22 and shoot it comfortably, go with that. That saves you from spending money on something else if you already have a gun that you shoot well and qualifies for multiple divisions. Some people shoot the G22, others like the G17 or G19. I like the G17, the 9mm. I had a G34 that shot very well, but I was always more accurate with my G17. Save your money now and when you get a gun certificate, either by winning a free one or by getting the GSSF certificate at a reduced rate, then buy a gun. I'll tell you that down the road you will come across a gun "you just gotta have" and you can swing it. Also, to add to your collection, I would either add a G17 or a G30 (or G30SF). Right now I'm waiting for the G17 RTF to come out. I hope to see you at a match someday.

12. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Actually, I put all the complicated stuff behind me :dunno: - I am just looking for a comparison between the G34 and the G35 as my next gun (whether to go 9mm as a main gun or stick with the .40 - ultimately getting a 9mm LWD barrel for either to handle lead practice reloads). The shop that I go to has plenty of each in stock (to include OD G35s - I didn't ask about OD G34s) and when I sign up for GSSF there, I get an immediate discount (i.e. don't have to wait two weeks like my buddy is having to do. Steve - if you read this, :tongueout: ). I like the long slide look and feel (it 'hangs' much better than my 2nd Gen G22), and it would give me a 3rd Gen receiver to 'experiment' with (i.e. if the long slide isn't as accurate as I would like, then I can put my G22 upper on it, swap out any parts (if necessary) and try it out as a 3rd Gen G22).

Down the road, I can only hope to win a gun certificate at a shoot - if that happens, a G17RTF or G30SF will be that purchase. :cool:

Thanks for the feedback.

13. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

I'd go with the G34, just because I like 9mm. The recoil is less and I shoot better. Some of the guys at the range try to talk me into .40 as they load their own really at low .40, but I tell them I like 9mm. I'm sorry I misunderstood your question earlier. Go with the G34, as I'm partial.

14. sailor

sailor

I am with Glockess. My 34 is a joy to shoot and I would recommend it. I do not have any experience with the 35 but am thinking of getting one to shoot unlimited in USPSA. The 35 could be used with the production rig I use with my 34 with only slight modificiations. I have thought about shooting my 34 in unlimited minor.

15. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Did your unlimited gun come in?

16. sailor

sailor

I am picking her up today.

17. triggerpresser

triggerpresser

I'd go 9mm for GSSF, and in line with what Ed said above, you will not gain much if anything by going with a long slide. Think about a G17. You can use it in more classes that you can use the G34 in.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  18. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Well, thanks to the info here and in other posts, the die was cast... and my new G34 9mm (SN MTM ***) is sitting right here (sorry, no pics yet). It is my first 'Smyrna' Glock (i.e. Frame lists GLOCK, INC. Smyrna, GA on one line) and my first sub-.40. Up until the very end, I kept going back and forth on the G34 vs. the G35, but in the end, it came down to ammo cost, reported handling for GSSF and IDPA, and being something that my young son could learn to shoot as he gets a little older (not saying the .40 is a monster but 9mm does recoil less). I do wish they would have had one in OD (they did have the G35 in OD) but that's no big deal. Now I have a longslide for my collection. :)

In the end, I got the pistol (G34LE, Fixed sites, 4.5# connector, 2 17rd mags), a 3rd magazine, & the GSSF Annual Membership for $572 OTD. Not a bad deal in my book..

PS: And the neat thing is that its 'birth date' of 3/9/09 was only 4 days off from my son's birthday. :)

PSS: And if you get the Glock Report and see an article in there about Ed's Police Supply in Stockbridge, GA, you will see the gang that sold me the pistol. They are a great bunch of people. ;)

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  19. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Just wanted to throw a family picture up:

[​IMG]

I think I should have all bases covered for now. SD, HD, GSSF, IDPA, Hunting... :cool: