close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please Help Me Help the Special Olympics!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Critias, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Howdy all. :wavey:

Phi Alpha Theta, my campus history honor society, is going to be taking part in the Polar Bear Plunge in a couple weeks, in order to try and raise money for the Special Olympics of Kentucky and Ohio.

On February 6th -- with temperatures expected to stay in the low-to-mid-30's -- I'll be jumping my shivering butt into a pool full of cold, cold, water. If the air temperature is "too high," they actually add ice to the pool! I'm still not sure how I got talked into this, especially since it was by a professor that complimented my intelligence just a few sentences earlier. This is the first time I'll have done something this stupid, and it'll sure take the sting off if I can at least know I'm getting a good organization some money for it. :supergrin:

If you can, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could click this link right here, and toss a few bucks into the pot for us.

Thanks, GT! You're good people!

2. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

::shameless bump::

C'mon, fellas? Not even a peep to make fun of me for doin' it? :tongueout:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010

3. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

tagged so I can do this later.

:bump:

4. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Done. Have fun with the plunge. I did it once at the beach in CT in the middle of Jan. for giggles and grins. Remember to keep your breathing under control. Otherwise, it's not that bad. Good luck!

5. PBCounty

PBCounty

I never understood these little activities....walk for this, run for that, jump in some cold water for something else.....how about go and wash some cars or something? Build something, produce something or just ask for donations. Otherwise, it is simply accepting money from someone else who seeks some level of satisfaction or worth in watching someone else place themself in discomfort.

If their true motivation was charity, they'd give what they felt was appropriate without it depending on third party stunts.

6. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

I don't plan and organize 'em, buddy, I'm just the schmuck that got talked into the ongoing Phi Alpha Theta tradition.

I'd say the "third party stunts" come about from giving the everyday citizen something they can do to FEEL productive and like part of the fundraising group, while (practically speaking) they're simultaneously not requiring any actual skill, training, or major time commitment. Show up at a Walk For _______, and what do you have to be able to do? Walk. Left, right, left, right, problem solved. In the meantime, you're still canvassing and asking for donation, doing the real work long before the Walk For _______ even begins.

When a school group has a bake sale, and students, moms, and wives pitch in and cook batch after batch of cookies or something, then the cookies turn around and get sold for next to nothing -- why don't those moms, wives, and students just donate money directly? Why bake something, then sell it for a pittance? It's so that folks can feel involved in the fundraising process, so that those who have the time can do some baking (which they're comfortable with), those who have the time can sit and sell crap from a table in the hall (which they're comfortable with), and everyone that's involved gets to feel...well...involved.

Why overthink it? The charity money's going to a good place, and the Polar Bear Plunge is -- by all accounts -- a "schtick" that works for them to get folks to open their wallets. Last year, the Kentucky and Ohio Special Olympics got $90,000 in pledged donations. Do you think all $90,000 of that -- or the $105 I've gotten so far, all thanks to Glocktalkers -- is really because folks want to make me jump into icy water? Or is it because they're generous people who see this as a way to toss money to the Special Olympics?

It's something silly and goofy to be a hook, but it's obviously workin' for 'em. What's the harm?

7. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Are you coming down here for that?

Our FOP lodge is very active with the Polar Bear Plunge/Special Olympics. One of our officers holds the records for most jumps. He's insane...did something like 24 jumps in 24 hours. Let me know if you're doing it down here.

8. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Nope, ours is up here in Newport. I know they have a few of 'em scattered all over the state, though.

9. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Just hit $130, and looks like it's been almost all Glocktalkers.

Thanks, everyone. :) The more the merrier, and I'm sure the Special Olympics appreciates your support!

10. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

:bump:

Just trying to get as much cash as I can for this cause. I figure folks that know me on here either like me and want to help the Special Olympics, or hate me and want to motivate me to jump into icy water and die. Say so with a credit card, which ever opinion you may hold! :supergrin:

11. Lone_Wolfe

Crit, can these folks take paypal? The site is asking for a lot of personal information just to take a payment.

12. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

I've done it here in AK.

You're in for a surprise.

13. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

I have absolutely no idea what other payment methods they take on the web site (I made my own cash donation at a plastic jar sitting in our departmental office, before I knew about individual sponsorship goals).

I'm hesitant to suggest the money be paypalled to me (and then I donate to the web page), simply because I know the potential for grift there, and how sleazy it makes me sound.

14. Walt408

Walt408

Watch out for shrinkage:

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheHamptons.htm

George: Well I just got back from swimming in the pool. And the water was
    cold...

Jerry: Oh... You mean... shrinkage.

George: Yes. Significant shrinkage!

Jerry: So you feel you were short changed.

George: Yes! I mean, if she thinks that's me she's under a complete
    misapprehension. That was not me, Jerry. That was not me.

Jerry: Well, so what's the difference?

George: What if she discusses it with Jane?

Jerry: Oh, she's not gonna tell Jane.

George: How do you know?

Jerry: Women aren't like us.

George: They're worse! They're much worse than us, they talk about
    everything! Couldn't you at least tell her about the shrinkage factor?

Jerry: No, I'm not gonna tell her about your shrinkage. Besides, I think
    women know about shrinkage.

George: How do women know about shrinkage? (They see Elaine walking down
    the hall) Elaine! Get! (She enters) Do women know about shrinkage?

Elaine: What do you mean, like laundry?

George: No.

Jerry: Like when a man goes swimming... afterwards...

Elaine: It shrinks?

Jerry: Like a frightened turtle!

Elaine: Why does it shrink?

George: It just does.

Elaine: I don't know how you guys walk around with those things.

15. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Shameless bump to the top -- just a few days of fundraising left, and we're out to get every dollar we can. :)

Saturday's the big day! We're expecting snow in the area, with a high of 31 degrees, so this whole "jump in a pool of water" thing seems more and more stupid. The money's going for a good cause, though, so it's too late for me to complain!

16. Lone_Wolfe

Crit, I know you well enough to have no hesitation about sending the $$$ through you. Can you send me your paypal address again so I can help out? :wavey:

17. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Here's a link to one of several local articles that covered the event today. That's part of my school group in the pic, there, in fact.

All in all the event got over $117,000 for the Kentucky and Ohio Special Olympics. Every dime of what I raised (over $150, not counting my own cash) came from Glocktalkers -- not my friends or family locally or on Facebook, no one from the several other forums I frequent, none of my coworkers, nada. Just us greedy, right-winger, Capitalist, gunbunnies.

I appreciate the support from each and every one of ya. I was cold and wet and miserable, but discomfort is temporary and helping kids that could use a hand makes up for it. Thanks for the donations, Glocktalk. You're good people.

Things I learned: (1) standing outside in your swim trunks and a t-shirt, in wind-chill-12-degree-weather and three inches of snow, actually sucks worse than the actual jump. (2) Anyone and everyone, regardless of age or obvious fitness level, can move as quick as a coked-up spider monkey when it comes time to get out of a pool like that. I swear, one gal almost ran on top of the water like a Jesus lizard, straight to the ladder. (3) Bar Louie's, who had an attractive young waitress work the crowd by handing out business cards/coupons good for one free drink, is staffed and operated by saints. A shot of whiskey (and half my co-ed friend's Fuzzy Navel, because she didn't like it) warmed me right up. ;)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010