close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please help me choose an OS for my build.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Rec4LMS, May 3, 2007.

1. Rec4LMS

Rec4LMS

I am making my first attempt at building my own computer. It will be dedicated to gaming and will be equipped with a 56k modem so that I can download updates for the games. (I do not have high speed internet where I live.) I've decided to use Windows XP due to the fact that Vista is still in it's infant stage.

However, there are so many choices that I'm not too sure which version of XP to go with. Home, Professional, Business, or Media Center. What about 23 bit vs. 64 bit?

Also, is there a major difference in the OEM version versus the Retail version? (I do qualify for the cheaper OEM.)

Thanks!

2. xaosflux

xaosflux

If you have your pick, use XP Professional, and if you can find one, use a Volume Licensing (corporate) edition (no WGA).

Vista is not ready for prime time.

If you can't get volume lice edition, use retail over OEM, it won't be missing anything.

3. Rec4LMS

Rec4LMS

OK, good advice. Now some quick questions.

Why do you suggest Professional? What makes it better than the others? I don't forsee that I will have much of a problem with Windows Genuine Advantage.

In regards to OEM, are you inferring that OEM does not come with everything that I would need to properly install it?

Thanks!

4. najaboy

najaboy

Vista "not ready for prime time" is a purely subjective matter. Vista is here, and it is superior to XP when given decent hardware to run on.

As for XP Home vs Pro vs Media Center, it depends wholly on what your wants and needs are. In any event, go with the OEM, as the only practical difference in your case is price- the functionality is exactly the same.

Finally, you were given some bad info in the previous reply, as xaosflux was leading you towards software piracy. XP Corporate is available for free download on many torrent and warez sites. The difference between Corporate and standalone versions is that the former was sold under a volume license agreement for deployment on networks, so a license key does not have to be input at the time of installation. Just as with retail or OEM versions, WGA is still needed for updates. A great deal of the bogus volume license keys out there have been flagged by MS and cannot be updated without a cracked WGA.

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

technically, you've already chosen the OS, you just want to decide on which version.

6. malkore

malkore

Vista is NOT ready for serious use until sp1.

anyone telling you otherwise is not a big enough geek, or works for Micro$oft.

XP PRO, 32bit. Too many compatibility issues trying to run a 64bit OS and 32bit applications.

Pro is the best version, it can be a media center, it can be a home pc, it can be an office pc.

7. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

I was thinking the exact same thing.. I will probably give it a shot after the 1st service pack

8. Rec4LMS

Rec4LMS

OK, everyone is pushing for XP Pro. So, exactly why is it better? Why does XP Pro do better at being an office PC and a media center PC than XP Home? What is the actual, tangible thing that seperates XP Pro from XP Home?

9. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

Not a whole lot. XPPro can join network Domains, while Home is limited to Workgroups. I think Pro can handle a larger number of network connections, also.
    That's all I know of, but I'm sure there's more.

For gaming, I don't think it would make much difference.

10. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

I don't think there is much difference that a gamer is going to see between XP Home and Pro, however XP Media Center is very picky about which components it will work with down to specific model and revision numbers from manufacturers. If you're going to be doing serious gaming for the next couple years you may want to look into Vista, either Home Premium or Ultimate 32-bit versions only. It runs DX10 and some newer games will require Vista.

11. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Ouch a 56k modem? if you are going to be doing serious gamming I think you want DSL or Cable.

OEM if you can get it.

12. xaosflux

xaosflux

I most certainly was not suggesting installing a pirate version. Many corporations have licensing agreements where you can get a home copy of software, including OS.

As for avoiding OEM, if you are building from scratch OEM is not really an option at all (if your scratch means the same as my scratch).

13. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

For home gaming use I would just go with XP Home and save a few bucks. The only differences I know of are the advanced networking that Professional is capable of...which you more than likely will not need.

As far as Pista....I don't plan on getting it until it becomes absolutely necessary. It is an OS...it runs your ****...I don't need it sucking 20% of the CPU and a gig of memory no matter how badass my system is ;)

14. kimigirl

kimigirl

If its just for games, and you are going to use a modem XP Home will be perfect. Pro just adds netowrking capabilities that it doesn't sound like you'll be using.

To all the Vista haters-so far I love it!

15. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

... or is someone that repairs computers for a living!
    I too always believed that it was best to wait for the first service pack before installing or upgrading any software ... especially the OS. However since I have a lot of clients that now run Vista I had to install it so I could become familiar with it. Now I will admit that some of M$’s “improvements” are annoying … such as the User Account Control, but overall it’s a nice improvement and it's very stable. I agree with najaboy, if your computer has enough horse power and RAM (I suggest at least 2 GB) it is far superior to XP.

Networking, Multi-processor support, Remote desktop, IIS, Offline files & Folders, Access Control, etc …

16. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Get pro or media center. Media Center is based of Pro so it's as stable and with a registry key change can be made to join domains as well. Home is a buggy POS. It's worth any extra money to stay away from it. Home and Pro for XP had a different underlying base code in many areas. MS knew home sucked and thats why they based Media Center off of Pro. Vista has the same core and just different features turned on or off based on what version you bought.

As for Vista, depending on how burly your box is you can run that and will probably be just fine at this point if your have great hardware. If it's more of a budget machine stick with XP.